U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:25 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Thanks. Def NO need for any kind of ILLEGAL alien to even TRY to join our Armed Forces.
what has budget cutting have to do with the topic?????
no one ever said that the us army was offering green cards to illegals aliens, they are offering green cards to aliens that want join the army. if you talk to them at the border or when they visit with visa, they are not illegal.
as to your other statements you said there was no need for aliens to join the army, we had plenty of candidates, not so.
read the links.
as to the other posts that the person giving the asvab never saw any fat people and everybody got great scores and almost nobody ever flunked, that is interesting in that 1 in 3 americans is obese and that the average welfare recipient is reading at the 6th grade level here. so i am surprised your office was full of scolars and super fit people. but i will take your word for it. but i am inclined to think you did not have many applicants since most americans dont fit that profile. it also contradicts stats that say most PE students could not pass the military physical and many 18 year old cant pass the asvab. that does not mean the people that came to your office could not pass the physical. the poster is using his office as a basis for statements on military recruitment. could be your office may only have swedish skying champions applying .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 06:10 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,590,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet Mexicans and other Latinos enjoy the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country and are among the high percentages of those who come here for family reunification purposes....

The ones here already for the most part aren't assimilating and many don't know English.
Highest? Their current quota is zero. You are confounding family visas with diversity visas.
And repeating false info. Study after study shows Hispanic second generations assimilating at rates higher than any previous non-English speaking immigrant wave, and third gens showing higher assimilation measures than every immigrant wave as well as speaking virtually no Spanish.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:11 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,590,732 times
Quote:
Uh; ALL countries have the RIGHT who they let in or NOT let in. Even Mexico.
And as Americans, we have the obligation to maintain our history of being the immigrant destination of the world. The more we go away from that, the more we lose our character and the more we have declined as a nation.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
And as Americans, we have the obligation to maintain our history of being the immigrant destination of the world. The more we go away from that, the more we lose our character and the more we have declined as a nation.
Things change. Not too long ago it was def Ok to keep some people from living in certain areas like Blacks, Indian Hispanics, Jews and the Irish. Not in 2014.

Too; the US did close the door to most immigration in 1920. Time to close that door again.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:17 AM

31,485 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Highest? Their current quota is zero. You are confounding family visas with diversity visas.
And repeating false info. Study after study shows Hispanic second generations assimilating at rates higher than any previous non-English speaking immigrant wave, and third gens showing higher assimilation measures than every immigrant wave as well as speaking virtually no Spanish.
I note you didn't provide a link backing up your claim that quotas for legal immigration for Mexicans is zero. Well, here's mine proving that they are allotted the highest quotas along with other Latinos.

Top 10 legal and illegal immigrant nationalities in the U.S. - OhMyGov News

Depends on what you mean by assimilation. Why do I hear Spanish being spoken everywhere I go? Are they all first generation immigrants? I don't think so. Assimilation also means not putting your ethnic group above our immigration laws either.

Hispanic assimilation has failed

I don't want to turn this into a Hispanic/Mexican bashing fest but everything I have posted is the truth and you brought up the subject therefore my reply with the truth backed up with links. We need to stick to the topic of illegal immigration anyway not legal immigration.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:32 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Oh Please. The United States already allows more immigration than all other countries combined. We don't need to increase our numbers or lower our standards. We need to raise the bar and raise it by a lot. We have no obligation to any group, race, gender, age or economic status. We have an obligation to protect our national interests. Allowing more unskilled, uneducated, non-english speaking immigrants in does not help our national interests.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:58 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,993,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Oh Please. The United States already allows more immigration than all other countries combined. We don't need to increase our numbers or lower our standards. We need to raise the bar and raise it by a lot. We have no obligation to any group, race, gender, age or economic status. We have an obligation to protect our national interests. Allowing more unskilled, uneducated, non-english speaking immigrants in does not help our national interests.
Well said! This country has become a flop house!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:08 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,671,095 times
Immigrants an Non Citizens in the US Armed Forces

Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A non-citizen must meet certain requirements to be eligible to join the military. The must have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (stamped I-94 or I-551 Green card/INS Form 1-551) as well as a bona fide residence established with an established a record of the U.S. as their home. If the non-citizens comes from countries with a reputation of hostility towards the U.S, they may require a waiver. The federal government cannot petition on behalf of an illegal immigrant so that they can obtain legal status and be able to enlist in the military.

Legal aliens ONLY.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
A non-citizen must meet certain requirements to be eligible to join the military. The must have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (stamped I-94 or I-551 Green card/INS Form 1-551) as well as a bona fide residence established with an established a record of the U.S. as their home. If the non-citizens comes from countries with a reputation of hostility towards the U.S, they may require a waiver. The federal government cannot petition on behalf of an illegal immigrant so that they can obtain legal status and be able to enlist in the military.

Legal aliens ONLY.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or