U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:58 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,986,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And your point being?

All races/ethnicities have been conquered by (or did the conquering of) other cultures------of either the same or other races/cultures.

Besides; what did the Aztecs think when Cortez came in and subjugated them?
my point being that i wonder how much history goes into some of these policies and, if you shut people out, how they might respond with that history in mind? if not immediately, down the line? incidentally, i also wonder what drug war issues, or economic issues (money going back to mexico - a place that's also home to some big corporate/NAFTA interests, or this country's ag business needing labor tht americans supposedly won't touch [i'm not convinced of that, personally, and suspect there's some ag lobby influence there...heck of a lot cheaper to pay below minum to some just here from mexico than to an american that'll moan about their benefits]), etc. are considered in setting some of this policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
just out of curiosity, i wonder if native americans and mexicans said the same things when "illegal aliens" "invaded"...

no more green cards or other paths to citizenship? we could kiss our entire system goodbye if that were the case, couldn't we? that could be a TON of brain power (and some pretty interesting culture) that puts things on YOUR plate, so to speak, that might then be gone, right?
now in layman terms.?

Old 12-29-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
now in layman terms.?
yeah. in other words, pay attention to the historical, political, economic, and cultural context of your decisions if you want to avoid unwanted backlash - at least that might be what some people are thinking when setting policy.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times
Thanks for taking the time to share all those links with us Ozark- Baby.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,182,711 times
I am so happy to finally see both sides of the political spectrum finally getting tired of the illegals and wanting to stand up and fight for what they believe in.
This is a major issue people with major problems and we all need to do something about it.
San Diego schools systems have reported that they are overhwhelmed with diseases brought to the schools by illegals from Mexico. They do not immunize the children in Mexico and therefore carrying the diseases we all spent years to stop. Childhood diseases like chicken pox etc were almost non existant for many years and they are on a huge rise right now. But no... the looney lib media wont cover that story will they?

OPs headline is right on.. WAKE UP AMERICA and stand up for our country.

I said it before United we win, divided we all fall.

Illegals are ruining our country and it is not a political issue they are trying to make it out, it is your right to not want illegals here no matter what side of the fence you are on.

I told you all earlier that Canadians dont come here to break the laws, they respect our laws and want to be Americans, Mexicans do not. ( see the Canadian who posted above ! )

Like someone else pointed out we can bus 25 million school kids a day we can surely bus 25 million illegals right back over the border.

For the one who keeps posting who wants to waste tax money on doing this, my goodness do you even now how much they are costing us by being here and ruining our schools and hospitals? We would acutally save money by rounding them up and sending them back.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:57 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
yeah. in other words, pay attention to the historical, political, economic, and cultural context of your decisions if you want to avoid unwanted backlash - at least that might be what some people are thinking when setting policy.
Well, what your pointing out, at least part of it, is something that can't be taken lightly.
But the 20 million+ illegals here today are not all of one organization. The protesters are only a small percentage, the rest are mostly all indepent living in any and every way they know how, wheather it be Illegally or legally with no support or connections to the outside.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-29-2007 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 05:35 PM

67 posts, read 37,422 times
Quote:
It's Illegal, but it's not a crime to come into this country illegally, without legal documents and ignore the Laws??
You'd better read up on the laws and constitution.
You seem to have misread my post. I was discussing the legal concepts, though legal in a murky sense, of why illegal aliens are considered not to have broken the law by simply being present in the country, even though they have commited a misdemeanor by entering illegally. Their illegal action of entering the country does not "continue", according to the Supreme Court, but the moment they actually act they break the law.
The law is of course stupid because it causes jurisdictional paralysis when a judge must follow sentencing guidelines that will immediately result in the defendant being unable to comply with his sentence, which is what happened in the Martinez case.

Please reread my message so that this does not degenerate into a Monty Python skit ...

Old 12-29-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Well, what your pointing out, at least part of it, is something that can't be taken lightly.
But the 20 million+ illegals here today are not all of one organization. The protesters are only a small percentage, the rest are mostly all indepent living in any and every way they know how, wheather it be Illegally or legally with no support or connections to the outside.
beyond some of the more overtly horrid backlash, i imagine there could be some diplomatic, economic, or political backlash to shut out the latino population (or friends of that population). maybe not a good idea if you're running for the presidency this year, for example.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:42 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
What you just stated would apply to all countries.......we are no worse.

Besides: where is the Mexican rage over their losing Guatemala ca. 1840?

IMHO: the La Raza types have little interest in the above Central American country-------it is poor. What they really want is our Southwest that us Gringos built from nothing into a First World civilization. Besides; most of the pre 1848 'Mexicans' (of any race/ethnicity) stayed on after the Mexican American War.

Final point: Mexico was under French control for a few years till 1867------Emperor Maximilian. Tranlation; Mx was not truly independent previously.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What you just stated would apply to all countries.......we are no worse.

Besides: where is the Mexican rage over their losing Guatemala ca. 1840?

IMHO: the La Raza types have little interest in the above Central American country-------it is poor. What they really want is our Southwest that us Gringos built from nothing into a First World civilization. Besides; most of the pre 1848 'Mexicans' (of any race/ethnicity) stayed on after the Mexican American War.

Final point: Mexico was under French control for a few years till 1867------Emperor Maximilian. Tranlation; Mx was not truly independent previously.
for one, the "they did it so we can too" sounds like romper room, though i understand your point. for another, i'm not sure we've done great things to the southwest (think water, uranium, nuclear weapons testing, phoenix sprawl). for another, i frankly do see that we might very well be the most destructive (and yes, perhaps CONstructuve in some ways), consumptive, imperialistic nation the planet's ever known. and i just think it can be good to remember "the further they rise, ..." and try to recall history and human nature; to try and avoid any hard falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration