U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 AM

419 posts, read 1,808,913 times

Advertisements

They say a large majority of illegal immigrants are driving without a drivers license. Their argument is they have to get to work like the rest of us.

I suspect many of them are pulled over for speeding and other traffic crimes. So what happens in your home town if the police pulls them over for a traffic violation only and the officer determines they are also driving without a license? Are they given a ticket and allowed to keep driving? Is the car impounded? Are they arrested and sent to jail and ICE contacted? What happens in your home town?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:05 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
They say a large majority of illegal immigrants are driving without a drivers license. Their argument is they have to get to work like the rest of us.

I suspect many of them are pulled over for speeding and other traffic crimes. So what happens in your home town if the police pulls them over for a traffic violation only and the officer determines they are also driving without a license? Are they given a ticket and allowed to keep driving? Is the car impounded? Are they arrested and sent to jail and ICE contacted? What happens in your home town?
Their car is impounded. They are arrested. Detained. Turned over to ICE

Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,353,623 times
they are given food stamps, told they don't need to work any more, given section 8 housing and supported with my tax money......

Old 12-28-2007, 12:32 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
they are given food stamps, told they don't need to work any more, given section 8 housing and supported with my tax money......
Where I live they would throw in a new car, too.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:10 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What Canadian or Brit do YOU know comes to the United States and drives "without a license?"
The very dear friends of mine who lived (and drove) in Minnesota for nearly 6 months without benefit of a driver's license, and after their visas had expired.

They now live in Rugby, UK but left here on their own terms (somewhat).

You've got your impression of "illegals" and I've got mine.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,448,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Where I live they would throw in a new car, too.

LMAO!!!! Well, from what I've heard, the illegals pull over and take off running in all different directions. Then the police say, "Theres not a thing we can do about it". They'll impound the car, which is usually in the name of a friend or relative. Then, the friend or relative will get it from impound and take it home to the illegal. Then the illegal will switch out tags, again, and hop in and go to the FREE food pantry, the FREE clothes closet, the P.O. to get their FREE welfare check, the Community Center to get what they didn't get at the other places, FREE, of course, plus at least one FREE utility bill paid, then on to the FREE emergency room to get FREE medicine to get rid of that pesky cold, and if they have time, the FREE dental clinic, just because they can.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:15 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
The very dear friends of mine who lived (and drove) in Minnesota for nearly 6 months without benefit of a driver's license, and after their visas had expired.

They now live in Rugby, UK but left here on their own terms (somewhat).

You've got your impression of "illegals" and I've got mine.
What a coinkidink - another shrill pro-illegal poster on CD named lukeache also happens to be from Minnesota. Did you forget to switch sock puppets?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM

419 posts, read 1,808,913 times
What would you recommend be done to the car (if it is in a friend's name) and to the illegal immigrant who is driving it? Should everyone who is driving without a license be jailed or should they just get a ticket and a small fine?

Is there anywhere in America that automatically jails someone who is driving without a license for the first offense. I doubt it, so most illegals will just ignore the law because they know they will just get a ticket that never is paid because they are living under assumed names and have no address or identity to go after.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:41 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
What would you recomend be done to the car (if it is in a friend's name) and to the illegal immigrant who is driving it? Should everyone who is driving without a license be jailed or should they just get a ticket and a small fine?
Car is impounded...illlegal is deported.

No conundrum there.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Personal opinion.....legal or illegal....if the driver is not licensed AND insured he/she goes directly to jail does not pass go does not colect $200 and gets their car impounded.

Reality......nothin happens cause they hit the ground running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or