U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 AM

1,150 posts, read 992,618 times

Advertisements

As far as the cost of deportation, it's only a fraction of what it costs for welfare, WIC, food stamps, subsidized housing, subsidized utlities, education, school meals, medical care, and incarceration. Add in the millions of dollars sent to relatives in other countries every year, and clearly deportation is the cheaper alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,417,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
As far as the cost of deportation, it's only a fraction of what it costs for welfare, WIC, food stamps, subsidized housing, subsidized utlities, education, school meals, medical care, and incarceration. Add in the millions of dollars sent to relatives in other countries every year, and clearly deportation is the cheaper alternative.
Not true. I just posted this video in another thread but I will post it here for you to look at. This is from NY-East Hampton School of Law. It projects 42 billion annually to deport illegal immigrants from just that one state. Welfare is not even a fraction compared to deportation.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 AM

7 posts, read 8,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
That's the financial aspect, then there's the crime, gangs etc that comes with "some" illegals. This was a huge problem where I used to live. Illegals would get arrested, serve time, get deported and be back 2 weeks later. Deporting someone just so they can reenter weeks later to continue on with whatever they do is ridiculous.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,417,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDan View Post
That's the financial aspect, then there's the crime, gangs etc that comes with "some" illegals. This was a huge problem where I used to live. Illegals would get arrested, serve time, get deported and be back 2 weeks later. Deporting someone just so they can reenter weeks later to continue on with whatever they do is ridiculous.
Where do you live because the statistics show otherwise. I'll give you a quote from another forumer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Between 1994 and 2005, the illegal immigrant population in the U.S. is estimated to have doubled to around 12 million. Yet according the Department of Justice, over that same period the violent crime rate in the U.S. declined by 34.2% and the property crime rate fell by 26.4%, reaching their lowest levels since 1973. Crime has fallen in cities with the largest immigrant populations -- such as New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami -- as well as border cities like San Diego and El Paso, Texas.

A recent paper by the Immigration Policy Center, an advocacy group, notes that "Numerous studies by independent researchers and government commissions over the past 100 years repeatedly and consistently have found that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes or be behind bars than the native born." Today, immigrants on balance are five times less likely to be in prison than someone born here.

It's not because law-abiding foreign professionals from India and China are compensating for criminally inclined low-skill Latinos. Immigrants from countries that comprise the bulk of our illegal alien population -- including Mexicans, Salvadorans and Guatemalans -- have lower incarceration rates than the native-born

Facts about immigration

Old 06-08-2009, 02:21 AM

1,150 posts, read 992,618 times
Cheeto: No one thinks all illegal aliens are Hispanic. They get more attention because they are in the majority. Also, they're the ones who have to have bilingual classes in school, and the prevailing telephone prompt is "Press (x) for Spanish." Some employers in California won't hire you unless you speak Spanish. Some teachers, and police officers were told to learn to speak Spanish, or look for another job. We don't see that for any other language, so yes, the focus is primarily on Hispanics, since others seem more willing to assimilate, and lean to speak English. Perhaps that helps others from being so readily detectable also.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Not true. I just posted this video in another thread but I will post it here for you to look at. This is from NY-East Hampton School of Law. It projects 42 billion annually to deport illegal immigrants from just that one state. Welfare is not even a fraction compared to deportation.
With our growing unemployment rate: the cost to pitch the illegals out may likely be cheaper than dealing with feeding out of work Americans.

And that is not counting the growing odds of civil unrest-------------the blowback against especially Spanish speaking Mestizos may be very ugly. As it is; even more and more 'Mexican' Americans want the above criminal losers gone for obvious reasons.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 AM

32,926 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Quote:

Here's more on that:
- HUMAN EVENTS

Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
As Americans, we will no longer let another wave of illegal immigrants come in. It has taken so long to get to this point. No way will it ever happen. I feel confident in letting this group of people legalize instead of causing us billions and trillions in dollars to deport them.
It has already been proven in 1986 that amnesty does not work. It only encourages the next batch of illegals to come and wait for the next amnesty.

If costs of deportation is an issue then I guess we had better not have jails and prisons for American criminals either because of the cost. Some things are a necessary evil. We are a nation of laws and with the breaking of those laws comes a penalty and a cost to the taxpayer. It can't be avoided. The alternative solution would be worse.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 AM

147 posts, read 186,582 times
Quote:
I would be alarmed in how much we would need to pay in taxes just to deport them.

I have read that on several posts, however do you know the price tag of supporting illegals and their families? Food stamps, Medicaid, free lunch, free education, social security at some point for some, it may be very costly to deport them, but we CANNOT allow them to stay here and send a clear message that you can come to this country and break our laws and be rewarded or even forgiven. It's bigger than the cost of deportation and I'm sorry, I don't subscribe to the fact that they do the jobs no one else wants. I know to convicted felons right now who would love to pick fruits but they are not given the opportunity.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM

2,680 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
I'm so sick of hearing people bash illegals for being here, then turn around and say that they are against amnesty. What's YOUR solution? waisting taxpayers money to find and deport these people just to have half of them return through our leaky borders? Is that your final answer??? C'mon people you're kidding yourselves if you think the solution is that simple. Not to mention, I whole heartedly suspect that most of you are racist, wether you want to admit it or not. If our country was being flooded by illegal Canadians, I doubt we'd see a fraction of the backlash that we do now!! (granted they were white) The sad thing is most of these people come here to work and escape their country's corrupt governments, call me crazy, but wasn't that why our country was founded in the first place?? Give them amnesty so they can pay into the system like the rest of us. Nearly all these people are here to work just like us!! People like to associate illegals with gangs and crime, when the truth is that's a homegrown problem that started way before now (ever heard of the mafia or see "West Side Story"). Maybe if we treated our neighbors with a little more hospitality, they would work harder to learn the language and assimilate, but who wants to be a team player on a team that treats you like the competition. Sorry, but amnesty is the only REAL solution.Waisting my tax money to deport all these hard working people is ridiculous. We could use that money to better secure our borders and stop the contraband thats been coming through for years. Wake up America, we have a lot worse things to worry about than people coming here to support their families. With half the world wanting to blow us off the map, turning our backs on our nieghbors in need is the most un-American thing we can do. I say make em citizens and keep the American dream alive!!
Even though we are a rich country, we cannot AFFORD to be worrying about taking care of our neighbors, letting them work and live here illegally draining our resources. It is not our responsibility- that responsibility falls on those neighboring countries- they need to make life better for their citizens! If people want to come here, the only way we can allow it is for them to come via the proper legal channels. This legal process ensures a couple of things- that the person coming here does not have a criminal background, and that this person will be able to support himself/herself financially so as to not be a burden to our country and its resources. Those steps are very necessary before allowing someone to come here or stay here.
And to anyone who thinks this is racist thinking, that is crazy talk- because it doesn't matter the ethnicity or color of the person, they all need to go through this process. My wife is Chinese- she came here the legal way, did everything she was supposed to and is now a legal resident. She feels stronger about all of this than anyone else I know- she gets SO angry at people who think they deserve to stay here illegally, or at those who have sympathy for illegals- she understands why we have the legal process and thinks everyone needs to go through the process she went through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration