U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Reputation: 1284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
I'm so sick of hearing people bash illegals for being here, then turn around and say that they are against amnesty.
That's right. The US granted blanket amnesty to 3 million illegals in 1986. We were assured that this was a one time event and that it would solve the problem of illegal immigration. Fast forward 20 years and we now have 12+ million illegal aliens. Doesn't sound like amnesty worked, does it? Furthermore, why should they be given amnesty in the first place? The fact that they have been thumbing their noses at us and our laws for years in what way entitles them to citizenship? If a banker legally lives in London for 10 years, at the end of that time the British government is not going to grant him citizenship simply because he has been there a long time. Why should they?
Quote:
What's YOUR solution? waisting taxpayers money to find and deport these people just to have half of them return through our leaky borders? Is that your final answer???
Here is a solution:
1. cut off the jobs
2. cut off the benefits
Once there are no jobs and no freebies they will leave on their own. Deport the ones who don't. Secure the border with a fence based on the design used by the Israelis. Send them home.
Quote:
C'mon people you're kidding yourselves if you think the solution is that simple. Not to mention, I whole heartedly suspect that most of you are racist, wether you want to admit it or not. If our country was being flooded by illegal Canadians, I doubt we'd see a fraction of the backlash that we do now!! (granted they were white)
Suspect whatever you want. I could not care less. Pulling out the race card usually signifies a weak argument in the first place, IMO.
Quote:
The sad thing is most of these people come here to work and escape their country's corrupt governments, call me crazy, but wasn't that why our country was founded in the first place?? Give them amnesty so they can pay into the system like the rest of us. Nearly all these people are here to work just like us!! People like to associate illegals with gangs and crime, when the truth is that's a homegrown problem that started way before now (ever heard of the mafia or see "West Side Story").
They need to return to their home countries and lobby for change there.
Quote:
Maybe if we treated our neighbors with a little more hospitality, they would work harder to learn the language and assimilate, but who wants to be a team player on a team that treats you like the competition. Sorry, but amnesty is the only REAL solution.Waisting my tax money to deport all these hard working people is ridiculous.
The word you want to use is 'wasteing' not waisting. The only thing amnesty will do is encourage more uneducated and unskilled people to illegally enter the US and wait for the next serial amnesty. Long term, this is a recipe for disaster.
Quote:
We could use that money to better secure our borders and stop the contraband thats been coming through for years. Wake up America, we have a lot worse things to worry about than people coming here to support their families. With half the world wanting to blow us off the map, turning our backs on our nieghbors in need is the most un-American thing we can do. I say make em citizens and keep the American dream alive!!
I say send them home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Reputation: 30372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
My wife is Asian, she came here legally and is a naturalized citizen. I dont want to have to spend the money to deport illegals. I want them to be unable to find work, get hungry and then return home
Bryan, i fully agree. But with the incompetent govt we have now, we are either gonna have to pay to deport them or pay for their upkeep. I'd rather have my tax dollars to kick these thugs out my beloved country.

Cheeto, i dont want to hear about the corrupt govt in other countries. Have you been under a rock since Aug 29 2005? Our corrupt president dragged his feet to get aid to NOLA after Katrina but when the I-35 bridge dropped in MN he moved in like someone was shooting him with $5 mill in under 2 days when it took 5 days to even get any buses to NO. A classic result of a corrupt govt. We have our own problems with our govt and we should not give amnesty to 20 mill illegals b/c they don't want to deal with their own govt.

NO AMNESTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:34 PM
 
Location: escondido,ca
194 posts, read 400,427 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Bryan, i fully agree. But with the incompetent govt we have now, we are either gonna have to pay to deport them or pay for their upkeep. I'd rather have my tax dollars to kick these thugs out my beloved country.

Cheeto, i dont want to hear about the corrupt govt in other countries. Have you been under a rock since Aug 29 2005? Our corrupt president dragged his feet to get aid to NOLA after Katrina but when the I-35 bridge dropped in MN he moved in like someone was shooting him with $5 mill in under 2 days when it took 5 days to even get any buses to NO. A classic result of a corrupt govt. We have our own problems with our govt and we should not give amnesty to 20 mill illegals b/c they don't want to deal with their own govt.

NO AMNESTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree about our corrupt president dragging his feet with our country's problems, that's why I can't help but think the immigration problem was intenionally allowed to get as bad as it is to create a distraction from America's deeper issues, kinda like they do with gay marraige and abortion. But I still believe in the core values of America and from my own personal experience and observations, I believe these "illegals" are more passionate about pursuing the American dream than most natives are. Look at that "mayday' protest in '06 when hundreds of thousands of hispanic immigrant took to the streets from coast to coast to support their cause. Our country has been in a war for 5 years that most consider a travesty, but the protests against the war have yet to yield that kind of turnout. Its sad but true, maybe people should rethink their ideas of what america REALLY is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
I agree about our corrupt president dragging his feet with our country's problems, that's why I can't help but think the immigration problem was intenionally allowed to get as bad as it is to create a distraction from America's deeper issues, kinda like they do with gay marraige and abortion. But I still believe in the core values of America and from my own personal experience and observations, I believe these "illegals" are more passionate about pursuing the American dream than most natives are. Look at that "mayday' protest in '06 when hundreds of thousands of hispanic immigrant took to the streets from coast to coast to support their cause. Our country has been in a war for 5 years that most consider a travesty, but the protests against the war have yet to yield that kind of turnout. Its sad but true, maybe people should rethink their ideas of what america REALLY is!
My wife is a Thai national. She came here legally, observed the law, obeyed the law... To grant amnesty to those who thumb their noses at our laws is to say my wife was an idiot for wasting time and money to come here legally. Its a slap in the face to all those who also came here legally. No we should not reward criminal behaviors. We should not reward a cheat.
Passionate about the american dream or passionate about the american dollar? They are so passionate that they steal identities, ssn's, refuse to learn the language, demand that an entire nation change its laws to facilitate their crimes. So passionate that they use our public services and yet don't pay taxes,so passionate that they lowball wages and steal work from legals. Yes these are exactly the kind of people we need. Liars, cheats and criminals. Makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,041,880 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
I'm so sick of hearing people bash illegals for being here, then turn around and say that they are against amnesty. What's YOUR solution? waisting taxpayers money to find and deport these people just to have half of them return through our leaky borders? Is that your final answer??? C'mon people you're kidding yourselves if you think the solution is that simple. Not to mention, I whole heartedly suspect that most of you are racist, wether you want to admit it or not. If our country was being flooded by illegal Canadians, I doubt we'd see a fraction of the backlash that we do now!! (granted they were white) The sad thing is most of these people come here to work and escape their country's corrupt governments, call me crazy, but wasn't that why our country was founded in the first place?? Give them amnesty so they can pay into the system like the rest of us. Nearly all these people are here to work just like us!! People like to associate illegals with gangs and crime, when the truth is that's a homegrown problem that started way before now (ever heard of the mafia or see "West Side Story"). Maybe if we treated our neighbors with a little more hospitality, they would work harder to learn the language and assimilate, but who wants to be a team player on a team that treats you like the competition. Sorry, but amnesty is the only REAL solution.Waisting my tax money to deport all these hard working people is ridiculous. We could use that money to better secure our borders and stop the contraband thats been coming through for years. Wake up America, we have a lot worse things to worry about than people coming here to support their families. With half the world wanting to blow us off the map, turning our backs on our nieghbors in need is the most un-American thing we can do. I say make em citizens and keep the American dream alive!!
Perhaps you should read through the many posts on here to figure out all the nonsense you've written has been said and proved wrong many times. It's not a race issue, it's a respect for our country issue. If you want to assume everyone against illegal immigration is racist, unhumantarian, etc., then continue to be wrong. People like you make a race issue out of something that has absolutely nothing to do with race (kinda like the O.J Simpson trial) to discredit good people, and let criminals get away with murder. I want people of all races to respect our laws, have pride for this country, and truly want to be an American. Amnesty is rewarding criminals, and that should NEVER HAPPEN. They should be denied the priveleges they have been enjoying at the taxpayer's expense and go home. If they want to be here that bad, they'll do it the right way. Take away their hand outs, secure the border, and fine businesses supporting illegal immigration. No amnesty, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 PM
 
Location: escondido,ca
194 posts, read 400,427 times
Reputation: 121
Suspect whatever you want. I could not care less. Pulling out the race card usually signifies a weak argument in the first place, IMO.
-I agree, the race card is played way too much these days, maybe cutural bias/misunderstanding is a better way to describe the vibe, as far as illegals thumbing their noses at our laws, I would thumb my nose at any law to ensure that my family had a roof over their head, a safe enviroment, and dinner every night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 PM
 
902 posts, read 505,293 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
Suspect whatever you want. I could not care less. Pulling out the race card usually signifies a weak argument in the first place, IMO.
-I agree, the race card is played way too much these days, maybe cutural bias/misunderstanding is a better way to describe the vibe, as far as illegals thumbing their noses at our laws, I would thumb my nose at any law to ensure that my family had a roof over their head, a safe enviroment, and dinner every night!
But that is not what the illegals are doing. They are not starving in Mexico by any stretch. They are thumbing their noses at us and out laws because they believe the crap that they have been fed as education but is actually LIES and propaganda about us and our country. Don't get me wrong though because our idiot public schools do the same thing and suck and do not educate but instead re-educate by using propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:55 PM
 
Location: escondido,ca
194 posts, read 400,427 times
Reputation: 121
Although, just beacause people abuse the race card, doesn't mean that racism doesn't exsist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:57 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
I agree about our corrupt president dragging his feet with our country's problems, that's why I can't help but think the immigration problem was intenionally allowed to get as bad as it is to create a distraction from America's deeper issues, kinda like they do with gay marraige and abortion. But I still believe in the core values of America and from my own personal experience and observations, I believe these "illegals" are more passionate about pursuing the American dream than most natives are. Look at that "mayday' protest in '06 when hundreds of thousands of hispanic immigrant took to the streets from coast to coast to support their cause. Our country has been in a war for 5 years that most consider a travesty, but the protests against the war have yet to yield that kind of turnout. Its sad but true, maybe people should rethink their ideas of what america REALLY is!
I think you're confusing several issues here- not that you're wrong, just all over the map. It's true that "The Illegals" (for lack of a better word) DID get rather loud, passionate, and boisterous---and that the "antis" have yet to respond in kind. This is NOT, however an indication that "illegal immigration is GOOD because its supporters are willing to scream louder than its opponents". This is merely an indication of differing cultural norms, as I've written about on numerous earlier posts. Yelling, screaming, parading, and out-shouting the other guy doesn't mean you're 'right'--it just means you're loud. Frequently, the LOSING party in a "battle of wits" WILL resort to shouting, or to threats, or to insults---not because they're RIGHT, but because they want to intimidate the opposition with NOISE, since they can't do so with FACTS.

Traditional American culture does not, (and has not, for many decades) put any great value on noisy, surging street demonstrations, or placard-waving taunts. We did SOME of that during the Viet-Nam War, but it's rare. To most "traditional" (assimilated, legal American citizens) such outbursts take AWAY credibility from one's point--they don't add to it.

These outbursts don't come from logic, they come from frustration and emotion. And they CAN easily backfire. I know MANY 'nice' people, of MANY races, who once were 'fence-sitters' on the illegal immigration issue, who turned AGAINST the illegals in disgust, once they'd seen these ridiculous, over-the-top street demonstrations, complete with desecrated American flags, signs threatening American citizens, and a sea of Mexican flags. This, PLUS the fact that half of the demonstrators were at that moment "ditching school"....this probably has to go down aone of the DUMBEST moves in the history of "Image Making", and it went a LONG way toward alienating the American public from any sympathy they might have once had toward the illegals.

Noise and fanfare don't make "right". Logic and reason do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:57 PM
 
902 posts, read 505,293 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
Although, just beacause people abuse the race card, doesn't mean that racism doesn't exsist
True and there are plenty racist in the white Anglo community, but there are also plenty racists that happen to be Hispanic and any other nationality, ethnicity, and/or race. And don't try to tell us that Hispanics are not racist or bigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top