U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Did you know that Floyd the Barber was an illegal immigrant in Mayberry? He was! His parents illgeally came from Ireland when he was a child which is why he talks funny with that choppy accent. But nobody complains about it because he works hard, runs his business and, if Andy ever arrested him and turned him over to INS, nobody else in Mayberry would cut hair as cheap and as good as Floyd does.
You just reinforced my argument for 'thinning out the herd' re: illegal immigrants:

Years age illegals were relatively rare and few people cared-------too, your 'Floyd' also tried to assimilate-------unlike way too many of today's variety.

Most of us (including myself) would not care if we even had 1 million illegals who otherwise flew under the radar--------7 to 20 million is too much.

Where we live here in the Southwest it is a Plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,895,974 times
I remember the idyllic Mayberry days in my small hometown in Texas. Last time I was back there, wanted to stay and look around, but was very run down, dirty, police sirens going off everywhere, very sad. This is a real shame for Texans everywhere, and an embarrassment for this journalistic rag. But all the big, dirty cities here are inundated with the illegals. I won't even go to Dallas anymore, has a very dangerous feel to it. And have been contemplating a move in a few years up to Wyoming, or one of the Dakotas. Am sure white flight is going on everywhere these days and who knows how long til those places are overrun the way things are going, NOTHING continues to be done to stop these criminals.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Each time I hear a comment such as this; I am reminded of the mantra of the plantation owners during slavery. They also whined that they couldn't possibly survive without their free slave labor. It is pure greed. However, these business owners are not only greedy; they are first, and foremost, traitors.
Americans demand such unreasonable accommodations as bathrooms, breaks, and workman's comp...and a livable wage. Illegal immigrants demand no such concessions. It's illegal black market labor unfairly undercutting American workers and rolling back workplace comfort and safety rules that our predecessors fought very hard for. It's pathetic.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:33 AM

38 posts, read 53,500 times
"I'd rather employ them than Americans," he confides. "In my line of work, I need the Mexicans, and I am for them being here. I need them because I can't find anybody else to do the work."

I agree[/quote]

This employer should be sued.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:52 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,871,012 times
Wait until the McMansions that contractor is building cheaper with illegal labor begin to fall apart. Illegals are NOT better workers -- they're CHEAP workers. I hope that when the homes start showing their poor workmanship and penny-pinching every single homeowner sues the crap out of him. Then, maybe he'll pay Americans a realistic wage to do quality work.

We all need to write to the Dallas Morning News about this. It's a DISGRACE! The Border Patrol agents should be the Texans of the Year! Especially the two who are in jail for doing their jobs while the drug trafficker they were convicted of shooting continued to run drugs into our country with a free pass from the government!

As a Texan, this just burns my biscuits!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,344,345 times
Quote:
Marty owns a North Texas construction company. He has come to view American workers as undependable, lazy and arrogant, while he finds illegal immigrants motivated and reliable.

"I'd rather employ them than Americans," he confides. "In my line of work, I need the Mexicans, and I am for them being here. I need them because I can't find anybody else to do the work."
This is the big issue right here. So on the flip one can argue that Marty is more concerned about Marty..and his bottom line.

Quote:
Wait until the McMansions that contractor is building cheaper with illegal labor begin to fall apart. Illegals are NOT better workers -- they're CHEAP workers.
Illegal labor has been building homes for years. Has your current home fallen apart? Unless you built it or hired a contractor that you know employs non illegals then you just do not know.

And I'm Not for illegals..just wanted to point out that your statement is not entirely true. I was part of a Union and being part of A Union does not make you a better worker...just a protected higher wage worker. I have seen very poor workers that are in a Union.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:18 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,871,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Illegal labor has been building homes for years. Has your current home fallen apart? Unless you built it or hired a contractor that you know employs non illegals then you just do not know.
No, my home was built by a private contractor I knew well. It held up fine. HOWEVER, there were a ton of lawsuits in the city against U.S. Homes and other contractors. The foundations cracked because they were not set properly. There was other structural damage because they didn't meet code as to the number of fasteners required per foot.

And, do you recall the lawsuits involving the use of Mexican bricks that were crumbling?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,454,521 times
Go to the links and read the responses in Vocies on Illegal immigration. Seems the people writing in are fed up

Old 12-30-2007, 08:33 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,344,345 times
I know who built my mothers home...our preacher who was a cabinet maker and contractor by trade.

I have no idea who built my home..I know who the company was but I did not buy it new or oversee construction. The company had a reputation for building good homes at the time. It is a very solid home and I agree that homes being built today or in the last few years do not stack up.

But I still do not know if the company used illegals. Never will I guess...And that is my point. My home was built before illegals were taboo and hiring them was an accepted practice.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:21 AM

16,248 posts, read 20,597,708 times
You know it is really a damn shame that people sit here bashing the very people who built the roof over their head and picked the orance juice they are sippng for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or