U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:44 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,383,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...storyid=137024

A new bill in Virginia would make it illegal to provide services to Virginians in languages other than English. H.B. 55 in VA reimposes that English is Virginia's offical language and no state or local govt can provide documents in non-english languages. The bill makes exceptions for foreign language instruction, court and police documents and health care services.

All i can say is Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!! Virginia is beloved my home state and i don't want it to become ESL-ville. Hopefully this sends the message to illegals and anyone else that don't want to learn English that you aint welcome in my state and you need to bounce.
I reeeally hope Ohio has the good sense to follow suit with something like this.

It is insane that we've gotten to this point in the first place, but thankfully the individual states (Virginia, Arizona, Missouri, etc.) are tackling this problem where the central government has totally failed and shirked its responsibility

More good evidence that federalism (states' rights) is the best solution to most of our Republic's major issues.

English is our language, period. It's about freakin' time we started reasserting that! Even if it's one state at a time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,715,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Hopefully the other states will follow Virginia's example, SOON.
It is coming, it is coming.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
I reeeally hope Ohio has the good sense to follow suit with something like this.

It is insane that we've gotten to this point in the first place, but thankfully the individual states (Virginia, Arizona, Missouri, etc.) are tackling this problem where the central government has totally failed and shirked its responsibility

More good evidence that federalism (states' rights) is the best solution to most of our Republic's major issues.

English is our language, period. It's about freakin' time we started reasserting that! Even if it's one state at a time...
Once a critical number of states; unsure is 2/3rd's or a simple 51% majority start enforcing their illegal immigration laws------methinks that Capital Hill will sit up, take notice and go Oh Sh....

Old 12-30-2007, 02:19 PM

9,311 posts, read 25,769,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Once a critical number of states; unsure is 2/3rd's or a simple 51% majority start enforcing their illegal immigration laws------methinks that Capital Hill will sit up, take notice and go Oh Sh....
We can only HOPE AND PRAY, ArizonaBear!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:51 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,191,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It is coming, it is coming.
I agree... I think we are finally turning the corner.

Finally people are doing something about the issue and in time the nuts who we elect will take notice of what WE DEMAND of them as our elected officals.

UNITED WE conquer the problems, divided they conquer us.

Stand up and voice your opinion on this issue, it IS THAT IMPORTANT !

Demand your congress to vote on issues according to your beliefs and not what they want. That is what they get paid to to, represent you and your beliefs.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,268 times
Default be thankful you allready know english

i am thoroughly disgusted by most of the posts ive read. I share the position of [FONT=&quot]Walter Tejada, Arlington County’s Board Chairman in sayaing,“We all know this is an English speaking country. All immigrants want to learn English. Everyone knows it’s the key to success in this country." Passing this legislation will only make it more difficult for immigrants to assimilate. It is extremely ignorant for anyone to hold the opinion that non-English speakers are not making an effort to learn English, and honestly I don't see how passing discriminatory bills are going to make that process any faster or easier. It is also ignorant to claim some sort of victory over illegal immigrants with the passing of this bill. Although some (not all immigrants) are living in this country illegally, I will not sleep easier at night knowing their lives will be made even more difficult. Time, money, and legislation should be spent on promoting English-learning opportunities and improving public school programs responsible for teaching non-English speaking children the language of this country. Whether or not anti-immigration sentiment is intended by this bill which claims only to encourage the learning or English (which is for the benefit of immigrants) it is clear that language bills such as these inflame these prejudicial sentiments which are based solely on ignorance and stereotyping. Be glad you are blessed enough to already know English and stop hating other people who don't. [/FONT]

Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,181,575 times
Quote:
Passing this legislation will only make it more difficult for immigrants to assimilate.
How?
Quote:
Time, money, and legislation should be spent on promoting English-learning opportunities and improving public school programs responsible for teaching non-English speaking children the language of this country.
The millions we spend already aren't ENOUGH?
Quote:
Whether or not anti-immigration sentiment is intended by this bill which claims only to encourage the learning or English (which is for the benefit of immigrants) it is clear that language bills such as these inflame these prejudicial sentiments which are based solely on ignorance and stereotyping.
Prejudicial sentiments? Ignorance and stereotyping? It seems you've graduated buzzword school with flying colors...
Quote:
Be glad you are blessed enough to already know English and stop hating other people who don't.
Show me some evidence of hate, or is that just a BONUS buzzword?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:02 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,173,708 times
Kind of funny how Arnold, here in California, wants English only. He can barely speak English himself

Old 02-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamamericantoo View Post
i am thoroughly disgusted by most of the posts ive read. I share the position of Walter Tejada, Arlington County’s Board Chairman in sayaing,“We all know this is an English speaking country. All immigrants want to learn English. Everyone knows it’s the key to success in this country." Passing this legislation will only make it more difficult for immigrants to assimilate. It is extremely ignorant for anyone to hold the opinion that non-English speakers are not making an effort to learn English, and honestly I don't see how passing discriminatory bills are going to make that process any faster or easier. It is also ignorant to claim some sort of victory over illegal immigrants with the passing of this bill. Although some (not all immigrants) are living in this country illegally, I will not sleep easier at night knowing their lives will be made even more difficult. Time, money, and legislation should be spent on promoting English-learning opportunities and improving public school programs responsible for teaching non-English speaking children the language of this country. Whether or not anti-immigration sentiment is intended by this bill which claims only to encourage the learning or English (which is for the benefit of immigrants) it is clear that language bills such as these inflame these prejudicial sentiments which are based solely on ignorance and stereotyping. Be glad you are blessed enough to already know English and stop hating other people who don't.
For the record:

I went to both JrHS as well as HS (high school) in Arlington, Va. well over 30 years ago and the 'foreign' kids had to learn English.

BTW: I am first generation US born American.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 PM

23,074 posts, read 32,123,894 times
Quote:
Be glad you are blessed enough to already know English and stop hating other people who don't.
No one hates those who don't know english. Americans only want immigrants to know that English is the unofficial MAJORITY language of this country and dont want anyone changing it. I think everyone who wants to live in America should learn FLUENT english.

I work as a teller at different banks in Northern Virginia and do you have any idea how frustrating it is to deal with customers who dont understand a thing that is coming outta your mouth or they wait in line for a spanish speaking teller when you are more than happy to help them? I really wish every pro-illegal pro-ESL person could have this experience and still say "english should not be the offical language." I got passed over several bank positions b/c my second language was not spanish, thankfully i got with a bank that hired me on my character, skills, and potential and not whether i "spokea the spainish."

Also if anyone wants to learn english why should it be at taxpayer expense? They made the choice to come here w/o learning english, let them pick up THEIR tab for learning english. Alexandria City schools could get so much farther in education if we did not have to deal with the ESL drama.

Also i think everyone on the councils in Arlington County and Alexandria City are idiots for making these cities welcome mats for illegals who refuse to play by the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration