Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:25 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...storyid=137024

A new bill in Virginia would make it illegal to provide services to Virginians in languages other than English. H.B. 55 in VA reimposes that English is Virginia's offical language and no state or local govt can provide documents in non-english languages. The bill makes exceptions for foreign language instruction, court and police documents and health care services.

All i can say is Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!! Virginia is beloved my home state and i don't want it to become ESL-ville. Hopefully this sends the message to illegals and anyone else that don't want to learn English that you aint welcome in my state and you need to bounce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 04:44 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
A new bill in Virginia would make it illegal to provide services to Virginians in languages other than English. H.B. 55 in VA reimposes that English is Virginia's offical language and no state or local govt can provide documents in non-english languages. The bill makes exceptions for foreign language instruction, court and police documents and health care services.

All i can say is Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!! Virginia is beloved my home state and i don't want it to become ESL-ville. Hopefully this sends the message to illegals and anyone else that don't want to learn English that you aint welcome in my state and you need to bounce.
I agree, Alanboy . . . THANK GOD.

In addition to multi language offerings being NOT necessary . . . offering them can and does become extremely expensive to the taxpayers. Money that should be spent on much more important endeavors.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:47 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...storyid=137024

Yahoo! That's the best news I've heard in a long time Alanboy. If only our Govenor, King Kaine, wasn't such an idiot on the illegal problem. Our Attorney General, Bob McDonnel, is all for fighting the illegal invasion but has been met with resistance from the Democratic King Kaine. His refusal to let state police work with ICE even made it on Lou Dobbs a few weeks ago.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Disgusting, Crittersitter . . .

Obviously, your Governor is pushing his own agenda as well as blatant pandering.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I actually don't disagree in principle with having "multiple" language translations for government forms, etc.... but there's an inherent "fairness" problem.

Here in Palm Beach County when you're served with a summons you get English, Spanish, and Creole. What if youre Chinese? Portuguese? Arabic? Are you not as important because you're not "represented" as much? It's always bothered me, and it's why I'm a proponent of English-only education and English-only governmental communications.

Last edited by TriMT7; 12-29-2007 at 08:11 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 08:09 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I actually don't disagree in principle with having "multiple" language translations for government forms, etc.... but there's an inherent "fairness" problem.

Here in Palm Beach County when your served with a summons you get English, Spanish, and Creole. What if your Chinese? Portuguese? Arabic? Are you not as important because you're not "represented" as much? It's always bothered me, and it's why I'm a proponent of English-only education and English-only governmental communications.
I've made this exact point many times. It looks like an "ACLU Dream" to me to give ANY non-English language preference. If you can print materials in Spanish, in an "English-dominant" nation, why not in Twi? or in Nahuatl? or in Louisiana Cajun patois? or in Papamiento? Just because there are only THREE speakers of a language in a state, doesn't mean they're less "worthy" than a million others who speak "big-time" languages. The only fair answer?--- "scr*w" everyone EQUALLY....by using English as your "default" language..

Old 12-29-2007, 08:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've made this exact point many times. It looks like an "ACLU Dream" to me to give ANY non-English language preference. If you can print materials in Spanish, in an "English-dominant" nation, why not in Twi? or in Nahuatl? or in Louisiana Cajun patois? or in Papamiento? Just because there are only THREE speakers of a language in a state, doesn't mean they're less "worthy" than a million others who speak "big-time" languages. The only fair answer?--- "scr*w" everyone EQUALLY....by using English as your "default" language..
Damn straight!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:46 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
English is our langauge period. I do not want have to read any other language at the drive thru, at the gas pump, on my phone... no where.
I hope this passes and continues to grow into other states. If you cannot read of speak english to bad.
The ACLU is backing a lawsuit against the philly cheese steak king of Philadelphia for putting up a sign that says "to order please speak english".
It is his business and he should be allowed to ask that orders be placed in english only, he should not have to hire someone to take orders for those who do not speak it.
Guess if you cannot read it or speak it you can go hungry. Do you think I have anyone helping me with the menus when I am out of the country? NO. I have to carry my little book with me just to order a coffee.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
English is our langauge period. I do not want have to read any other language at the drive thru, at the gas pump, on my phone... no where.
I hope this passes and continues to grow into other states. If you cannot read of speak english to bad.
The ACLU is backing a lawsuit against the philly cheese steak king of Philadelphia for putting up a sign that says "to order please speak english".
It is his business and he should be allowed to ask that orders be placed in english only, he should not have to hire someone to take orders for those who do not speak it.
Guess if you cannot read it or speak it you can go hungry. Do you think I have anyone helping me with the menus when I am out of the country? NO. I have to carry my little book with me just to order a coffee.
perfectly agreed. English is our lanugage of business like it or not.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Hopefully the other states will follow Virginia's example, SOON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration