U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:18 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,701,304 times

Advertisements

As someone who has recently looked into emigrating to Australia, I like the standards they have (even though currently they're working against me! lol)

Basically they use a point system to evaluate someone who wants to come into their country. The higher your points, the better chance you have of getting in. Also, there's a minimum amount required to even be considered. They have some alternate ways too, including buying your way in, marrying in, having a relative bring you in, or having an employer sponsor you. They have a lot of requirements that make sure they get who they need, and also who they want.

If you are offering a skill that is in low demand, your point value will be low. If you have a skill that is in high demand, then you have a much better chance of getting into the country. They also rate you based on age, criminal record, and health. I'd be able to get in easily except I'm at the maximum age cut-off for a regular work visa, so my only choice is to have my daughter bring me in(she has dual citizenship in the USA and Oz because she is married to an Australian). Well, I do have a second choice, of buying my way in, but that costs about $30,000...so yeah Don't really want to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:22 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,620,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
As someone who has recently looked into emigrating to Australia, I like the standards they have (even though currently they're working against me! lol)

Basically they use a point system to evaluate someone who wants to come into their country. The higher your points, the better chance you have of getting in. Also, there's a minimum amount required to even be considered. They have some alternate ways too, including buying your way in, marrying in, having a relative bring you in, or having an employer sponsor you. They have a lot of requirements that make sure they get who they need, and also who they want.
Sounds like a reasonable plan--- I might add they ALSO are spared the controversy of what to do about those who just "walk in", and they don't have to worry about the bad publicity connected with building a "Fence"......

Old 12-29-2007, 08:34 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,139,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Who do you think should get preference for legally being accepted as an immigrant to our country, an educated person who can support themselves and not be a burden on society or an uneducated and/or ignorant poor person who has little to offer society and will be a burden their whole lives on this country? Tell us and why?
I’ve met too many so-called “educated” people that were complete “idiots” to believe an “education” alone is a valid gauge of a persons intellect or worth.
I say send both back to their country of origin. The truly smart one will figure out how to come here legally and the other will eventually get deported again after they serve their “felony arrest” time in jail.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM

3,081 posts, read 6,606,157 times
Dude like you even have to ask!!!!
Of course the educated one. He comes here, hopefully will gain a worthwhile profession and give back to society. Unlike the leeches aka ILLEGALS!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:49 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,892,472 times
Most counties require proof of financial ability to support ones self, require more than basic education. Nothing wrong with this. This prevents adding to a nations burden. The point of immigration was never to facilitate other countries and take there burdens. Its about what best serves our own nation.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:09 PM

9,309 posts, read 25,679,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nations like Canada, Austrailia, UK etc require, as a condition of immigration, that the person show evidence that they will not be a "burden" (financially) to the country and that they can "contrbute" to the country.

I would/do support these standards
Makes perfect sense to me, Greatday!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 PM

9,309 posts, read 25,679,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Most counties require proof of financial ability to support ones self, require more than basic education. Nothing wrong with this. This prevents adding to a nations burden. The point of immigration was never to facilitate other countries and take there burdens. Its about what best serves our own nation.
and that's the way it should be, Tinman!

Great point.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,006,882 times
We have seen far too many immigrants and illegal aliens come here over the last generation. We're full up. We need to shut the door completely for a few generations.

Then after a while when we determine we need more immigrants, we let them in based on what they can offer America. If they need to go on welfare, or draw on some social programs, then keep them out. We want doctors, educated businessmen who can open a businesses and hire Americans, and others that can be an asset to this country. Not a liability like so many that have come here recently.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 AM

440 posts, read 236,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I think we should get only uneducated economic basket-cases, unable to do anything but the simplest menial labor. Educated Americans don't need any more competition...
While I totally agree that Americans don't need any more HB1 Visa competition, we already have an estimated 30 million of Mexico and South America's bottom of the food chain. Their birth rates, financial and social services burdens far outweigh any possible net benefit to America. Culturally they are a total disaster; most are either not interested or incapable of learning English or assimilating, as exhibited by the Mexican flag waiving and spanish chanting during the marches. They not only want our jobs they are here for a reconquista.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:38 AM

440 posts, read 236,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Good points, but I can't ever see us "weeding out the corruption in Washington." They all talk a good game until they're elected. If only Sheriff Joe (Arizona) would run!!
Sheriff Joe could be Lou Dobbs' VP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration