Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:40 PM

902 posts, read 714,061 times

Advertisements

Who do you think should get preference for legally being accepted as an immigrant to our country, an educated person who can support themselves and not be a burden on society or an uneducated and/or ignorant poor person who has little to offer society and will be a burden their whole lives on this country? Tell us and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 06:52 PM

9,595 posts, read 31,602,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Who do you think should get preference for legally being accepted as an immigrant to our country, an educated person who can support themselves and not be a burden on society or an uneducated and/or ignorant poor person who has little to offer society and will be a burden their whole lives on this country? Tell us and why?
Is this a TRICK QUESTION, Ozark-Baby? ! ! ! !

Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Is this a TRICK QUESTION, Ozark-Baby? ! ! ! !
Not at all. I know that many in here agree with me in that we should only allow immigrants who can support themselves and not be a burden on society but I was wondering how many.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:10 PM

440 posts, read 327,991 times
The original intent of immigration was to fill an employment void after it was determined that there was not an American qualified or available to fill a legitimate need. Over the years immigration to the US has been widely expanded beyond its original purpose and somehow misconstrued to be a right rather than a privilege. Part of this burgeoning crisis is courtesy of corporate greed and remainder of the problem is the sheer arrogance of lawless culture of Mexican and other foreign nationals who have nothing to bring to the table and everything to gain by coming into America illegally.

I personally think that there should be a temporary moratorium on all immigration until we weed out all of the corruption in Washington, get control of our borders, enforce our existing laws and see substantial success of attrition through enforcement. America has become so overrun with illegal aliens, I no longer feel safe and barely recognize the country I grew up in. Walking to work during rush hour in Chicago now reminds me of movie scenes of rush hour in 3rd world countries.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
I personally think that there should be a temporary moratorium on all immigration until we weed out all of the corruption in Washington, get control of our borders, enforce our existing laws and see substantial success of attrition through enforcement.
You are so totally right on the mark. Kudos to you.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,358,451 times
Good points, but I can't ever see us "weeding out the corruption in Washington." They all talk a good game until they're elected. If only Sheriff Joe (Arizona) would run!!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,178,581 times
Nations like Canada, Austrailia, UK etc require, as a condition of immigration, that the person show evidence that they will not be a "burden" (financially) to the country and that they can "contrbute" to the country.

I would/do support these standards

Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,525,900 times
I think we should get only uneducated economic basket-cases, unable to do anything but the simplest menial labor. Educated Americans don't need any more competition...

Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,145,225 times
I guess many folks do not remember that up until the sixties there was a preference for
Europeans as immigrants. It had something to do with maintaining the ethnic balance then present in the US. Shades of the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,525,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I guess many folks do not remember that up until the sixties there was a preference for
Europeans as immigrants. It had something to do with maintaining the ethnic balance then present in the US. Shades of the Chinese Exclusion Act.
Up until the 50's the South practiced racial segregation by law. Your point, then, is?.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration