U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,706,273 times

Advertisements

The poem does not address home country problems, the poem states what is makes America the light of the world. And each time a small minded person acts in a small minded way America is injured. But it is probably a Communist inspired poem, wouldn't you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
The poem does not address home country problems, the poem states what is makes America the light of the world. And each time a small minded person acts in a small minded way America is injured. But it is probably a Communist inspired poem, wouldn't you say?
There are people who would have been standing there spouting this poem while the Japanese bombed us at Pearl Harbor. As Paul McCartney would say, "Open the door, let 'em in!". Why not? If you lived on a small island without alot of natural resources you would have done the same thing!

US immigration policy is intended to benefit the US, not Mexico, not China, not any other country as a matter of fact. That is how things should be. Any country's immigration policy must have the well being of that country as the goal. This is the 21st century, not the 1880's. Common sense dictates that unfettered illegal immigration of unskilled, uneducated people is not going to provide any long term benefit to the US.
I realize that you benefit from this and thus have a vested interest in seeing it continue. From my corner of the ring, there is no benefit at all. We already have enough problems of our own. We do not need someone else's problems, too.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:28 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,058,667 times
Quote:
I disagree AndreaBeth based on this poem, you will notice it doesn't say, "only those who conform to arbitrary bureaucratic rules, of course it is probably a communist poem:
What? No mention of John Lennon's Imagine? I'm disappointed!

We are a nation of laws, not poems. Our system of government is not arbitrary, unless your vote is determined by a coin toss.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM

402 posts, read 938,055 times
I don't see that any of this has anything to do with our current illegal alien problem from SOB or any other country. We need to get down to the problem at hand and see what we can do to encourage/force our officials here to close the boarder to all who are not here legally.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM

I guess ya'll never figured out, that poem is written on the Statue of Liberty.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,058,667 times
Quote:
I guess ya'll never figured out, that poem is written on the Statue of Liberty.
No kidding? I never knew that.

What statue is the Constitution written on? What was the Supreme Court's last ruling on poems? What section of US Code do statues and poems fall under?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 PM

There are two sets of laws, those of man, those of God. You can chose what you pick. But, this nation was once consider a light on a hill. You, each day get to decide your part in keeping it as the moral beacon of the world or as another bureaucratic oligarchy. I realize that your post was designed to make you sound like an ass, but tell me, what part of Emma Lazarus's poem do you disagree with?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
There are two sets of laws, those of man, those of God. You can chose what you pick. But, this nation was once consider a light on a hill. You, each day get to decide your part in keeping it as the moral beacon of the world or as another bureaucratic oligarchy. I realize that your post was designed to make you sound like an ass, but tell me, what part of Emma Lazarus's poem do you disagree with?
In one sentence:

Legal vs. illegal immigration.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:43 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:

Is it hard to understand that Emma Lazarus' poem might be a bit obsolete in the time of universal education, social services, food stamps, WIC, etc.?

What did the average immigrant get when they came over here in 1890? Was there child guaranteed education? Free healthcare, food, etc. if they couldn't afford it? No. Sink or swim.

That is NOT how it works anymore. We have limited resources, and need to be able to allocate those resources efficiently and with as little abuse as possible.

Perhaps we should return to that time of "no social services".... then we'll see how anxious people are to come over here and have 5 kids!

Perhaps the purpose and symbolism of the statue of LIBERTY (not "open immigration") needs to be explained a bit better.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Legal is simply the decision of a particular group of bureaucrats on a particular day. Since the politicians legally bought and paid for by the large corporations have no particular problem with hordes of illegals, it appears to me like those of your ilk are essentially spitting into the wind.

Breath Free is a powerful opiate. The classic No Nothing feels that right applies to white protestants, not dark catholics. In Nevada one August a group of Italian Carbonari struck for higher wages, they were shot down in what came to be known as the Charcoal war. They were shot down because they were dark Catholic. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The men who run the giant multinational companies find those who support nation state patriotism a bothersome relic of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration