Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 AM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

And why do you think this candidate would do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times

Physically secure borders, no amnesty.

I'm not sure where the other candidates stand. It's been a week since I've heard them talk about it. They've probably changed their mind since then.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
I dunno, Juan McCain?

j/k its Duncan Hunter

Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I dunno, Juan McCain?

j/k its Duncan Hunter
McCain says he never wanted amnesty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9afmjYYrLLs

. Sen. McCain, 2003: “Amnesty Has To Be An Important Part.” ” ‘Amnesty has to be an important part because there are people who have lived in this country for 20, 30 or 40 years, who have raised children here and pay taxes here and are not citizens. That has to be a component of it,’ he said. ‘How can we have a temporary worker program if we’re not allowing people who have been here for 30 years to hold jobs here?’” (C. T. Revere, “McCain Pushes Amnesty, Guest-Worker Program,” Tucson Citizen, 5/29/03)

In 2003, Sen. McCain Also Said, “I Think We Can Set Up A Program Where Amnesty Is Extended To A Certain Number Of People Who Are Eligible…” “‘I believe we can pursue the security programs and at the same time set up a system where people can come here and work on a temporary basis. I think we can set up a program where amnesty is extended to a certain number of people who are eligible and at the same time make sure that we have some control over people who come in and out of this country,’ he said.” (C. T. Revere, “McCain Pushes Amnesty, Guest-Worker Program,” Tucson Citizen, 5/29/03)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:01 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
And why do you think this candidate would do this?
No offense but the OP is very naive!! Have you ever been to the US/Mexico border? Not to be mean, but there is no possible way for someone to close the border, it is logistically impossible! If you ever get a chance to go to San Diego, CA, drive East from there towards El Centro, CA and you will understand what I am saying. The landscape itself would not allow a fence to be built along the border. This is what one of the Tecate CA/Tecate, Baja California area crossing points looks like, as you can see, anyone can walk across

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aj9NyzOGHuI

Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
No offense but the OP is very naive!! Have you ever been to the US/Mexico border? Not to be mean, but there is no possible way for someone to close the border, it is logistically impossible! If you ever get a chance to go to San Diego, CA, drive East from there towards El Centro, CA and you will understand what I am saying.
Gotta tell you - the fence IS BEING BUILT IN THAT AREA - I have seen it - I have touched it -

Guess you have to go back and check it out -

Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
No offense but the OP is very naive!! Have you ever been to the US/Mexico border? Not to be mean, but there is no possible way for someone to close the border, it is logistically impossible! If you ever get a chance to go to San Diego, CA, drive East from there towards El Centro, CA and you will understand what I am saying. The landscape itself would not allow a fence to be built along the border. This is what one of the Tecate CA/Tecate, Baja California area crossing points looks like, as you can see, anyone can walk across

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aj9NyzOGHuI
There are roads and train tracks that have been built there- why on earth would we not be able to build a fence? I have a real good idea that the problem is not that we lack the necessary skills to design and build a fence. The problem is that the OBL apologists would like us to think it is physically impossible to do so. We can build the stealth bomber but we can't build a fence? Furthermore, if indeed there are areas where the terrain cannot possibly be fenced, then the difficult terrain itself will serve to keep out everyone except perhaps mountain climbers.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,747,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
McCain says he never wanted amnesty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9afmjYYrLLs

. Sen. McCain, 2003: “Amnesty Has To Be An Important Part.” ” ‘Amnesty has to be an important part because there are people who have lived in this country for 20, 30 or 40 years, who have raised children here and pay taxes here and are not citizens. That has to be a component of it,’ he said. ‘How can we have a temporary worker program if we’re not allowing people who have been here for 30 years to hold jobs here?’” (C. T. Revere, “McCain Pushes Amnesty, Guest-Worker Program,” Tucson Citizen, 5/29/03)

In 2003, Sen. McCain Also Said, “I Think We Can Set Up A Program Where Amnesty Is Extended To A Certain Number Of People Who Are Eligible…” “‘I believe we can pursue the security programs and at the same time set up a system where people can come here and work on a temporary basis. I think we can set up a program where amnesty is extended to a certain number of people who are eligible and at the same time make sure that we have some control over people who come in and out of this country,’ he said.” (C. T. Revere, “McCain Pushes Amnesty, Guest-Worker Program,” Tucson Citizen, 5/29/03)
Mcain NEVER used the term amnesty, he might have said earned legalization but never amnesty. Trying to twist his words for your agenda

Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 AM

132 posts, read 244,805 times
The Chinese could build the Great Wall in 200BC - and the Yanks can't build a fence in 2008 ?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 AM

186 posts, read 335,428 times
Maybe John Edwards. He wouldn't so much close the border as go after employers of illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration