U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Add in changing the Anchor Baby law to eliminate that right for those born, say, after January 1st, 2009.

Needless to say: grandfather in those children born 12-31-2008 or prior as US citizens.

Otherwise; as you stated, I agree 100%
The congress is not going to touch the 14th ammendment period. The supreme court will always rule in favor of the children born here to be citizens period. People said the same thing about african americans back then that was why the 14th ammendment was put in place to protect them and ANYONE else born on the soil of the united states. They probably knew there would be people like you guys out there trying to deprive these innocent children of their citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 08:53 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The congress is not going to touch the 14th ammendment period. The supreme court will always rule in favor of the children born here to be citizens period. People said the same thing about african americans back then that was why the 14th ammendment was put in place to protect them and ANYONE else born on the soil of the united states. They probably knew there would be people like you guys out there trying to deprive these innocent children of their citizenship.
The Anchor Baby law is going away.

The difference between Blacks and illegal immigrants is that the former were born here due to their ancestors being forcibly being imported from Africa. Illegals; OTOH, came here as free people------they have no rights beyond those of any other criminal.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The Anchor Baby law is going away.
Agreed.

Within the next year or so - it will be gone.

A good thing -

Old 12-31-2007, 08:58 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
People said the same thing about african americans back then that was why the 14th ammendment was put in place to protect them and ANYONE else born on the soil of the united states. They probably knew there would be people like you guys out there trying to deprive these innocent children of their citizenship.

First of all, I'd like to see your sources for what you consider the original intent of the 14th Amendment. I can almost guarantee the drafters of said provision ONLY had "slaves" in mind, and not women running across the border to drop babies and collect WIC, as much as you would like to think otherwise.

What I STILL think is telling, however, is that you have contempt for people who want to stop abuse of the social welfare system, but have no problem watching the MOTHERS and FATHERS of these children literally USE their children as a means for social services, or as "anchors" for immigration into the USA.

You're showing your true colors, and it aint pretty.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:09 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Agreed.

Within the next year or so - it will be gone.

A good thing -
HAHA, and who is going to do away with it? I swear some of you live in a fantasy land.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:14 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
HAHA, and who is going to do away with it? I swear some of you live in a fantasy land.
Take a look around; the anti illegal immigrant laws are popping up all over the place, the tsunami is just beginning to run the illegal immigrants out of the USA.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:48 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,124,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
First of all, I'd like to see your sources for what you consider the original intent of the 14th Amendment. I can almost guarantee the drafters of said provision ONLY had "slaves" in mind, and not women running across the border to drop babies and collect WIC, as much as you would like to think otherwise.
“All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside”

Whatever intention was originally there that “caused” the 14th amendment; the drafters framed the language that comports with the common-law rule of acquired citizenship by birth, unless the child was the dependent of diplomats, ambassadors, or “alien enemies in hostile occupation” which is why you have the “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” language. If the drafter’s intention was for only children of slaves or slaves themselves to be citizens, then you would have seen language specifically stating their intentions.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
“All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside”

Whatever intention was originally there that “caused” the 14th amendment; the drafters framed the language that comports with the common-law rule of acquired citizenship by birth, unless the child was the dependent of diplomats, ambassadors, or “alien enemies in hostile occupation” which is why you have the “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” language. If the drafter’s intention was for only children of slaves or slaves themselves to be citizens, then you would have seen language specifically stating their intentions.

Are you kidding me? Since when does the Constitution "specifically state" anything?

Quote:
In 1866, Senator Jacob Howard clearly spelled out the intent of the 14th Amendment by stating:

"Every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons. It settles the great question of citizenship and removes all doubt as to what persons are or are not citizens of the United States. This has long been a great desideratum in the jurisprudence and legislation of this country."

This understanding was reaffirmed by Senator Edward Cowan, who stated:

"[A foreigner in the United States] has a right to the protection of the laws; but he is not a citizen in the ordinary acceptance of the word..."

The phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" was intended to exclude American-born persons from automatic citizenship whose allegiance to the United States was not complete. With illegal aliens who are unlawfully in the United States, their native country has a claim of allegiance on the child. Thus, the completeness of their allegiance to the United States is impaired, which therefore precludes automatic citizenship.
Its' why American Indians born "within the United States" weren't given automatic US citizenship until 1924:

Quote:
Congress subsequently passed a special act to grant full citizenship to American Indians, who were not citizens even through they were born within the borders of the United States. The Citizens Act of 1924, codified in 8USCSß1401, provides that:

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:
(a) a person born in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;
(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe.
http://www.14thamendment.us/birthrig...al_intent.html

Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 PM

31 posts, read 57,360 times
Even if this passes I have to tell you, it isn't going to do anything.

You want to know why? Federal law Trumps State law. Simple as that.

The Fourteenth Amendment, read it, love it, learn it

BTW I completely feel that these legislative measure by Rep. Pearce are completely Un-American.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:06 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alely View Post
Even if this passes I have to tell you, it isn't going to do anything.

You want to know why? Federal law Trumps State law. Simple as that.

The Fourteenth Amendment, read it, love it, learn it

BTW I completely feel that these legislative measure by Rep. Pearce are completely Un-American.
How come every noob poster in the immigration forum sounds just like ProLogic? I wonder...

How do you know it isn't going to do anything? Please share your crystal ball with me and let me know what the next winning lotto numbers are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or