U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 01:08 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,999,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
YOu also don't listen?

I believe it may be easier to change the 2nd than Birthright citizenship.

But I also believe both are virtually impossible and for the same reason. Both have substantial minorities that oppose changing them. You cannot change the Constitution with substantial minority opposition.
I listen. I also live in an area that is going down the toilet because of illegal immigration, and I have no sympathy for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 01:09 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,999,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Or interpretated as it was meant to be, not as a loop hole for people to break our immigration laws.

And as we see from the current administration the Constitution and Congress can be bypassed, manipulated and interpretated in many ways. The next POTUS is not going to be Illegal friendly.
No part of the Constitution should be "interpreted". It says what it says, whether we like it or not.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:31 AM

31,919 posts, read 14,699,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
No part of the Constitution should be "interpreted". It says what it says, whether we like it or not.
And it doesn't say that children of illegal aliens get birthright citizenship. In fact the clause reads "and" subject to the jurisdiction thereof which is a qualifier. I don't want to get this debate started again as it has been beaten to death in here but the Constitution via the 14th Amendment is being misinterpreted.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,570,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And it doesn't say that children of illegal aliens get birthright citizenship. In fact the clause reads "and" subject to the jurisdiction thereof which is a qualifier. I don't want to get this debate started again as it has been beaten to death in here but the Constitution via the 14th Amendment is being misinterpreted.
I would go so far as to say it's outright abused.

If this country is smart, it will revisit this idea and add another constitutional amendment.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 AM

31,919 posts, read 14,699,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I would go so far as to say it's outright abused.

If this country is smart, it will revisit this idea and add another constitutional amendment.
I don't think that would even be needed. Just have the SC go over it and make a final determination which they never really did. The majority of countries in the world don't allow birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens. Since our country is so attractive to illegal aliens we need to follow suit. It is costing us dearly and makes a mockery out of our citizenship with the current status quo.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,570,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't think that would even be needed. Just have the SC go over it and make a final determination which they never really did. The majority of countries in the world don't allow birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens. Since our country is so attractive to illegal aliens we need to follow suit. It is costing us dearly and makes a mockery out of our citizenship with the current status quo.
Well....since it has been going on as long as it has, it makes me wonder.

Anything that makes this country less a magnet for Third World uneducated poor is a plus in my book.

Having said that, the existing laws should be uniformly applied to EVERYBODY.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 PM

44,731 posts, read 43,281,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
The U.S. really needs to bring back a 1924 style immigration act and deport all the illegals and traitors in power.
I agree with deporting all illegal immigrants. I disagree with 1924-style immigration laws. I say just adopted the way Canada does its current immigration.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:38 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I agree with deporting all illegal immigrants. I disagree with 1924-style immigration laws. I say just adopted the way Canada does its current immigration.
Those 1924 style laws were changed to let more "others" into the US by about 1950. Tho I WOULD like to see the present immigration law set back to how things were done in 1964. If that makes me a "racist": I don't care.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:16 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,197,606 times
The problem is that we do not have the ability to enforce our immigration laws. And we lack both the will and the resources to change that.

Once in this deep it is not practical to enforce your way out.

So basically you decrease the illegal by legalizing them or live with the status quo...which can easily turn worse again.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 AM

44,731 posts, read 43,281,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Those 1924 style laws were changed to let more "others" into the US by about 1950. Tho I WOULD like to see the present immigration law set back to how things were done in 1964. If that makes me a "racist": I don't care.
I only know what was done in 1924 and 1965. I don't know how it was in 1964, as I can't find any laws for that year regarding immigration.

My point is that current Canadian immigration doesn't go by national origin, but by skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or