Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Bill Gates: Min. Wage Increase 'Huge Tradeoff' for Workers in Poverty - YouTube

Quote:
uh, you're gonna have maybe one or two percent that goes astray, but you can make sure it's...it is the the...you're saving lives.
I tend to think that the dissemination of ideas is much more powerful than handing out money. The parent who gives his child values such as hard work, honesty, & so forth will bring a better result than the parent who passes along a trust fund. When it comes to medicine, I agree that a dollar to alleviate a minute of human suffering is a dollar well spent, but when it comes to anything else I'm not so sure. Think about the billions that we sent to Egypt that wound up in the pockets of the Muslim Brotherhood.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/wo...ance.html?_r=0

George W Bush's basic idea in going to Iraq was the dissemination of ideas and institutions. Did Bush have it right and Gates have it wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 07:00 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Bill Gates: Min. Wage Increase 'Huge Tradeoff' for Workers in Poverty - YouTube

I tend to think that the dissemination of ideas is much more powerful than handing out money. The parent who gives his child values such as hard work, honesty, & so forth will bring a better result than the parent who passes along a trust fund. When it comes to medicine, I agree that a dollar to alleviate a minute of human suffering is a dollar well spent, but when it comes to anything else I'm not so sure. Think about the billions that we sent to Egypt that wound up in the pockets of the Muslim Brotherhood.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/wo...ance.html?_r=0

George W Bush's basic idea in going to Iraq was the dissemination of ideas and institutions. Did Bush have it right and Gates have it wrong?
What "ideas" and "institutions" did Bush disseminate in Iraq? I had a good laugh over that thought. What Bush showed us is that you can't force democracy and Western institutions down the throats of a nation that wants nothing to do with us and which we do not understand. Foreign Aid has resulted in more good will towards to the US and for the tiny amount of money spent on foreign aid we get far more from it in terms of international standing, all conservative hysteria to the contrary notwithstanding.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
What "ideas" and "institutions" did Bush disseminate in Iraq? I had a good laugh over that thought. What Bush showed us is that you can't force democracy and Western institutions down the throats of a nation that wants nothing to do with us and which we do not understand. Foreign Aid has resulted in more good will towards to the US and for the tiny amount of money spent on foreign aid we get far more from it in terms of international standing, all conservative hysteria to the contrary notwithstanding.
Democracy for starters. Do you read the news?
The purple finger remains a hopeful symbol in Iraq, as Iraqis go to the polls | Public Radio International

Old 11-01-2014, 07:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Oh...a link to a news story from 8 months ago before the onset of the ISIS/ISIL civil strive/war and the general collapse of the Iraqi state. Now..which of us needs to read the news..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration