U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Correction- it will be populated by dash-Americans.
Not this one: I am an American--------of Hungarian, etc lineage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:06 PM

419 posts, read 1,812,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It is past time to eliminate the 'Hispanic' label in all official government business, period.
Yes, I understand that Hispanic is a broad based description of a large number of people from a wide variety of places. Someone from Peru who is one percent Indian is quite different than someone with a mixture of Italian and Spanish blood from Chile. But I do see a huge ethnic and cultural aspect of the typical immigrant from Mexico and Central America.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:08 PM

17,286 posts, read 25,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Yes, I understand that Hispanic is a broad based description of a large number of people from a wide variety of places. Someone from Peru who is one percent Indian is quite different than someone with a mixture of Italian and Spanish blood from Chile. But I do see a huge ethnic and cultural aspect of the typical immigrant from Mexico and Central America.
That huge "ethnic and cultural aspect" is basically Spanish language and a penchant for spicier foods.

Nobody here would accept the wholesale lumping of EVERY person in the US, Canada, Britain, Ireland, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand into a new "race" or "ethnicity", would they? Even though there are huge ethnic and cultural aspects of the typical citizen of any of the "former British colonies?"

"Brittanicans?"

Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,429,617 times
The big question is should these people be from Asia who traditonally have been higher educated and more likely to go into occupations with higher skills, or Hispanic who are more likely to be lower skilled workers.

Very, leading, deliberately slanted bigoted question, and add to that a cheap way to stir up the pot. The children of many of these "lower skilled workers" go on to college, my friend.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:57 PM

69 posts, read 248,022 times
Whites, because I think somehow the situation with mexicans will turn around. If it doesn't, that means the U.S. is going to be a third-world country. I just don't see that happening, there's too many Whites in office not to turn things around.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 739,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeeParis View Post
Whites, because I think somehow the situation with mexicans will turn around. If it doesn't, that means the U.S. is going to be a third-world country. I just don't see that happening, there's too many Whites in office not to turn things around.
I used to believe that, but then I stopped watching Fox News.

The gated community elitists who control this country's direction want it to be a Third World country, because they benefit from it being so. They can become richer and more powerful by devaluing this nation's middle and working classes, while insulating themselves in their communities, as is the case in countries such as Brazil or Mexico.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
I used to believe that, but then I stopped watching Fox News.

The gated community elitists who control this country's direction want it to be a Third World country, because they benefit from it being so. They can become richer and more powerful by devaluing this nation's middle and working classes, while insulating themselves in their communities, as is the case in countries such as Brazil or Mexico.
Quite a few of the 'ivory tower elite' will be coming down to Earth very soon I suspect

Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,955,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Regardless of the ethnic group that comes into America, the whites are on their way out. Whites will remain a majority for awhile but over time ethnic minorities from outside Europe- will become majority.

The big question is should these people be from Asia who traditonally have been higher educated and more likely to go into occupations with higher skills, or Hispanic who are more likely to be lower skilled workers.

Should we invite mostly higher skilled or lower skilled people into America regardless of race or culture?
I think a pragmatic approach might be in order. For the next 10 years, approve immigration applications of higher skilled people. When the workforce inevitably changes and the Boomers have mostly retired, there would be enough skilled folks to fill the voids. Once that's stabilized, we might decide that we want to accept a set number of low-skilled applicants from other countries.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,955,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Really? How do you define "normal"? The last time I checked, Asians are a protected group who can form ethnically based organizations within schools, the workplace, etc. to protect their employment, whilst White people like me are labeled as "haters" or "Nazis" if we desire the same. Furethermore, are there any organizations of Asians who oppose affirmative action for Asians, so that they can be more "normal"?
You know, I wonder if this fear of being a white minority is very much poetic justice?

Nah. If you've done nothing wrong while in the majority, then there's nothing to worry about in being a minority.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,971,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I think a pragmatic approach might be in order. For the next 10 years, approve immigration applications of higher skilled people. When the workforce inevitably changes and the Boomers have mostly retired, there would be enough skilled folks to fill the voids. Once that's stabilized, we might decide that we want to accept a set number of low-skilled applicants from other countries.
Good idea. The most important thing about immigration to me is that it HELPS AMERICANS. It should be for the good of Americans, since we are the ones effected by all this, and it's our country - we fight the wars, we pay the taxes!

So, we should go back to skill-based immigration (before 1965, which started the "chain migration" we have now). The question should be, "how does this person help American citizens"?

And as far as the "color" thing goes - it's not color, it's culture, and class. The important thing is that they maintain American values - hard work, education, paying taxes, respecting your fellow citizens, contributing to society, and not taking from it. And, not breaking the law by coming in illegally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or