U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 AM

438 posts, read 436,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I would have to disaree with this,with the exception of maybe Eskimos and some of the most Northernmost tribes.Genetic testing is not yet complete more then likely the native peoples of North and South America came over from different sources.Some also theorize Europe also Kennewick Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Kennewick man comes to mind.What is also interesting is that there have been "Native American" groups opposed to further testing and research into this.Also another poster lumped Indians(Hindi) with the Chinese?Most Asians of "Mongoloid" stock have no affinity for Indians(Both Hindu and Native Americans) or Asians of "Malay" origin.So this poster should be more specific.
Kennewick Man is not European or even Caucasoid. He most closely resembles the Ainu of Japan (indigenous Japanese).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
The Hispanic category was invented by Richard Nixon and the GOP as way to attack/counter African American political and social aspirations.

American demographic categories do not have a common denominator. Of all the categories, Hispanic is probably the worst one from a logical standpoint as a Hispanic could be White, Black,Amerindian,Far Eastern Asian or a mix of these.

I think we should simply ask people to write what they want to be classified as, instead of having these apples vs. oranges vs. pears vs. pineapples categories.
Since Hispanic is a culture and not a race I don't know what it is doing in the race catagory anyway on the census. They should have instead Mestizo or Mullato on it which both are mixed races.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 AM

438 posts, read 436,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Since Hispanic is a culture and not a race I don't know what it is doing in the race catagory anyway on the census. They should have instead Mestizo or Mullato on it which both are mixed races.
Yeah that would be better.

Heres the logic of the Hispanic category.

White male from Europe who emigrated to America, is considered White and thus not eligible for Affirmative Action and not considered a disenfranchised minority.

White Male from Europe emigrated to some nation south of the border then later emigrates to America and is considered eligible for Affirmative Action and considered a disenfranchised minority .

So if an American White male goes to live in Brazil or Argentina for a period of time and acquires their citizenship, then returns to the US, is he magically now part of some disenfranchised minority.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Quote:

White male from Europe who emigrated to America, is considered White and thus not eligible for Affirmative Action and not considered a disenfranchised minority.

White Male from Europe emigrated to some nation south of the border then later emigrates to America and is considered eligible for Affirmative Action and considered a disenfranchised minority .

So if an American White male goes to live in Brazil or Argentina for a period of time and acquires their citizenship, then returns to the US, is he magically now part of some disenfranchised minority.
That is about the extent of it----------never mind that the 'Hispanic advocacy' groups try to ensure that only Mestizos or Indians from Mexico/Central America qualify for AA.

Flip side: an Englishman (Alfred Molina the actor) or a Swede (Jose Gonzalez the musician), etc. would be counted as 'Anglo' here in the states despite having some recent Spanish lineage.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,834,008 times
Quote:

Spot on! I was married to a white Argentine, so-called Hispanic. He considered the “Hispanic” designation absurd. I also have white Cuban-American friends who share his sentiment. People of “black” African ancestry can be found throughout this world. The fact that they may speak different languages does not negate their Negroid ancestry. One of my dad’s Hospice nurses was an immigrant from Nigeria. He also had an infusion nurse from Ireland. If you saw either of these women, without hearing their accents, you would simply see 1 black woman, and 1 white woman.

Funny, we do not have separate minority classes for citizens whose native language is French, German, Gaelic, Italian, etc. Nor do we need a separate minority class for citizens whose native language is Spanish. It serves a political agenda, nothing more.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,141,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Spot on! I was married to a white Argentine, so-called Hispanic. He considered the “Hispanic” designation absurd. I also have white Cuban-American friends who share his sentiment. People of “black” African ancestry can be found throughout this world. The fact that they may speak different languages does not negate their Negroid ancestry. One of my dad’s Hospice nurses was an immigrant from Nigeria. He also had an infusion nurse from Ireland. If you saw either of these women, without hearing their accents, you would simply see 1 black woman, and 1 white woman.

Funny, we do not have separate minority classes for citizens whose native language is French, German, Gaelic, Italian, etc. Nor do we need a separate minority class for citizens whose native language is Spanish. It serves a political agenda, nothing more.
And THAT is spot on!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Percentage wise: American Blacks are declining as a total of the US population. Their birthrate is (probably) below the replacement level of 2.1 kids per woman and more and more bi-racial kids do not self identify as AA--------especially those with light skin and straight hair.

As for large numbers of people trying to come here from Europe, Africa or Asia; remember that we have these things called 'oceans'--------which are still quite effective in keeping most illegal aliens out.
It’s an individual preference. You have described my son (light skin, straight hair). However, he self-identifies as black, perhaps because he lives with me.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM

17 posts, read 26,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
The new America will be Hispanic. The races will be mixed more. But Hispanics will be the number one demographic group in the US long before the turn of the century.
Easily agreed.
If you think differently I suggest you do more reasearch.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM

17 posts, read 26,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It’s an individual preference. You have described my son (light skin, straight hair). However, he self-identifies as black, perhaps because he lives with me.
Agreed my son is also mixed light skin curly but still "silky" hair.
He is mixed with Jamaican and knows he has two cultures and identifies himself as black.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron305 View Post
Agreed my son is also mixed light skin curly but still "silky" hair.
He is mixed with Jamaican and knows he has two cultures and identifies himself as black.
Most Jamaicans are black, so why would he not identify as black? Or, does he have one white parent and one black? The only “culture” my son identifies with is American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or