Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:24 PM

101 posts, read 329,332 times

Advertisements

America will be a 'minority-majority' (or was it the other way around?) nation, and the same ol' rich folks are still going to run this country. I dont mind witnessing the change of demographics in this country, but I'm pretty sure the system of selfish politicians &business people and the existance of individuals under the poverty line will prevail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:32 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,668,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbeatishot View Post
America will be a 'minority-majority' (or was it the other way around?) nation, and the same ol' rich folks are still going to run this country. I dont mind witnessing the change of demographics in this country, but I'm pretty sure the system of selfish politicians &business people and the existance of individuals under the poverty line will prevail.
The existence of individuals under the poverty line will certainly prevail. Especially with the expanding underclass we're seeing. Which is in a great way due to the open borders.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:18 AM

715 posts, read 2,084,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Even if your scenario were to come to pass: the White Hispanics would still rule with the brown ones being treated worse here than they are presently

You keep forgetting that Hispanic culture is very White Supremacist.

Attention to detail... Great point there

Old 01-01-2008, 04:18 AM

419 posts, read 2,016,951 times
Default Should we let the best and brightest into America or the unskilled?

Regardless of the ethnic group that comes into America, the whites are on their way out. Whites will remain a majority for awhile but over time ethnic minorities from outside Europe- will become majority.

The big question is should these people be from Asia who traditonally have been higher educated and more likely to go into occupations with higher skills, or Hispanic who are more likely to be lower skilled workers.

Should we invite mostly higher skilled or lower skilled people into America regardless of race or culture?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:34 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,041,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Having a little bit of Asian heritage, I can tell you that your "preference" isn't desired or valued. Asians--especially Asian Pacific Americans--don't care for being "model minority" tools. They want a normal life just as everyone else, and are put-off by petty biases and prejudices just like most other people of color.
Really? How do you define "normal"? The last time I checked, Asians are a protected group who can form ethnically based organizations within schools, the workplace, etc. to protect their employment, whilst White people like me are labeled as "haters" or "Nazis" if we desire the same. Furethermore, are there any organizations of Asians who oppose affirmative action for Asians, so that they can be more "normal"?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,041,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Ironic:

In the Jim Crow American South; some people of Chinese or Japanese heritage were counted as 'White'---------not Colored (catchall term for a person of any race/ethnicity with caramel or darker colored skin).

Apartheid South Africa was the same way.
There were also Mestizos during JC who claimed to be Spaniards. Now, however, there's much more to be gained by being a "minority", so even people who are 99% Spaniard and 1% Indian claim to be a "person of color".

Old 01-01-2008, 07:01 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
There were also Mestizos during JC who claimed to be Spaniards. Now, however, there's much more to be gained by being a "minority", so even people who are 99% Spaniard and 1% Indian claim to be a "person of color".
Bingo!

It is called 'playing the race card' for socio-economic (and sometimes personal safety) reasons.

Many Whites down in the old Jim Crow South did just that; the ones with some Black and/or American Indian lineage.

Today; many blond haired/blue eyed White people are proud of their genetically proven Native American lineage-------the stigma is gone. For that matter; having Negro/Black in one's family tree means little aside from a genetic curiousity.

And; of course, SOB, Mexicans play the race card to the hilt------the visually more White you are, the better. Woe to the chocolate colored Mexican back home

Old 01-01-2008, 08:46 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Regardless of the ethnic group that comes into America, the whites are on their way out. Whites will remain a majority for awhile but over time ethnic minorities from outside Europe- will become majority.
Again, I disagree. (I don't agree with categorizing Hispanic as a race, and I BARELY tolerate it designating an ethnicity because it's really not!)

"Whites" will go down in terms of percentage of total population (along with blacks), but more "Hispanics" WILL add to both the numbers of whites AND blacks in this country. And white Hispanics tend to share European values because they've led pretty sheltered lives in Latin America.

What will grow are "Asians" (which is a pretty broad designation, don't you think? What really ties an Indian to a Japanese?) and the number of "Mestizos," but a large portion of both are poor, as evidenced by Chinese who stow away in cargo ships, etc., to come here illegally and work as Chinese food delivery guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2
The big question is should these people be from Asia who traditonally have been higher educated and more likely to go into occupations with higher skills, or Hispanic who are more likely to be lower skilled workers.
There should be a point-based system that is race and culture blind, and takes into effect financial resources, skills, language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2
Should we invite mostly higher skilled or lower skilled people into America regardless of race or culture?
We should invite those people in which we have a demonstrated and REAL need for.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:50 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
It is past time to eliminate the 'Hispanic' label in all official government business, period.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:49 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 994,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
The "new" America will be populated by...

*drumroll*

AMERICANS.
Correction- it will be populated by dash-Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration