Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 AM

326 posts, read 1,371,806 times

Advertisements

I always thought to volunteer meant you had an option not to. If your illegal, deportation is an action and not an option. Having a child born in the US gives the parents no rights to stay until that child is 21 and can sponsor their mother/father. I myself will have to wait untill my child is old enough to sponsor me but this is a law that needs to be upheld regardless of any future policy changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
[Mod Cut] The children should not suffer for their parents wrongdoings and any child born in the US is American and has the same rights as anybody else born here. The kids are American, [Mod Cut]
Ron Paul wants to end the birthright citizenship that comes with spitting out a child on our soil. Instead, he wants at least one of the parents to be a citizen before granting citizenship to children born here.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:57 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I have to agree with Ron Paul on that one. I think its insane to reward people for having a child here.

This whole story is trumped up to make it sound like something its not.

The reality is they were breaking SEVERAL laws just by being on the road.

I hope they ALL go home and stay there. If they want to come back once their kids are 21 and the kids want to sponsor them then so be it.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have to agree with Ron Paul on that one. I think its insane to reward people for having a child here
At the time the Constitution was written, it was helpful to have that clause in there. Now, with over 3million citizens, it's time to change it. The document should be brought back to life.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:26 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastBrit View Post
I always thought to volunteer meant you had an option not to. If your illegal, deportation is an action and not an option. Having a child born in the US gives the parents no rights to stay until that child is 21 and can sponsor their mother/father. I myself will have to wait untill my child is old enough to sponsor me but this is a law that needs to be upheld regardless of any future policy changes.
Most court ordered deportations are done by mail because the illegal usually never shows up for his scheduled court date. An example of these would be the Hispanic mothers caught at the meat plant that were released due to humanitarian reasons. While released awaiting their court date they technically have a temporary legal status and can even get a temporary green card.

Of the illegals that are actually physically deported, most are deported voluntarily. Which means an illegal alien that's been caught in the country requests to be taken to the border rather than fight the deportation. For those ordered deported multiple times, the penalty, if convicted, increases.

So to cut the cost and expense of lengthily deportation proceedings, those caught are asked to volunteer to self-deport. If they volunteer to self-deport then it doesn't count against them as a prior the next time they're caught. Then most illegals simply sneak back in the country the very next week.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:28 PM

902 posts, read 718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
At the time the Constitution was written, it was helpful to have that clause in there. Now, with over 3million citizens, it's time to change it. The document should be brought back to life.
In the first place, that clause of the 14th Amendment was not in at the signing of the Constitution. It was added as an Amendment for the children of the former slaves and that is the only reason it was written.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
In the first place, that clause of the 14th Amendment was not in at the signing of the Constitution. It was added as an Amendment for the children of the former slaves and that is the only reason it was written.
You're right. My mistake.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:46 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Let's get real for a minute here, Gang.

This woman entered The United States ILLEGALLY knowing full well exactly what she was doing and the possible consequences.

As with many, if not most, Illegals, she continued to snub her nose at the basic laws of Arizona and The United States by ignoring vehicle registration and insurance requirements as well as a small child not properly restrained in the vehicle and no driver's license.

by the way . . . any guesses on who paid for the Emergency Room and Hospital expenses for the delivery of the latest baby as well as the other two?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is really ashamed that this woman allowed herself to be bullied into leaving her children's country by racism!
Those kids were only born here because she invaded our country. She can go the hell home, no sympathy. It's all her own doing, nobody else's.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Ron Paul wants to end the birthright citizenship that comes with spitting out a child on our soil. Instead, he wants at least one of the parents to be a citizen before granting citizenship to children born here.
The only country I can think of, other than the U.S., which gave birthright citizenship to children born within its borders was Ireland. In June, 2004 voters in Ireland, the only country in the European Union to grant citizenship to anyone born in the country regardless of where the parents come from, overwhelmingly approved a plan to do away with a constitutional provision granting automatic Irish citizenship to any child born in Ireland.

The U.S. should follow in Ireland's footsteps.

Quote:
The jurisdiction requirement was added to the original draft of the Fourteenth Amendment by the Senate after a lengthy and acrimonious debate. In fact, Senator Jacob Merritt Howard of Michigan proposed the addition of the phrase specifically because he wanted to make clear that the simple accident of birth in the United States was not sufficient to justify citizenship. Sen. Howard noted that the jurisdiction requirement is "simply declaratory of what I regard as the law of the land already." Sen. Howard said that "this will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons."

The Fourteenth Amendment was intended only to ensure the citizenship of the Black African slaves and their children who were brought to this country violently and against their will. It was not intended to be a vehicle in which the progeny of illegal aliens were to be given a free citizenship ride on the backs of an already exploited people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration