U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:44 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times

Advertisements

I think some American bosses prefer Mexican workers because they KNOW they don't have to pay them enough, they can say anything and just about do anything to these people and they won't go to the police and report them because they are here illegally.

If one of them gets hurt on the job, they can't claim workers compensation, they don't have to give them any benefits, they don't have to pay attention to OSHA regulations with them, offer them medical insurance.

The women can be sexually harassed no end because again, what are the women going to do? NOTHING.

The situation with illegals isn't good for anyone. People who take advantage, both the illegals AND the American employers who hire them have to be stopped.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:49 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think some American bosses prefer Mexican workers because they KNOW they don't have to pay them enough, they can say anything and just about do anything to these people and they won't go to the police and report them because they are here illegally.

If one of them gets hurt on the job, they can't claim workers compensation, they don't have to give them any benefits, they don't have to pay attention to OSHA regulations with them, offer them medical insurance.

The women can be sexually harassed no end because again, what are the women going to do? NOTHING.

The situation with illegals isn't good for anyone. People who take advantage, both the illegals AND the American employers who hire them have to be stopped.
Damn straight........you nailed that one all the way around.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:20 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,868,944 times
Exactly!!!! I'll bet if those same workers were LEGAL immigrants or citizens, the "bosses" would not be thrilled with them. They're just excited because they don't have to pay them more and provide benefits.

When I worked on the Border, the vast majority of the other workers in the businesses were Hispanic (legal citizens, probably 97 percent of the staff) and the bosses would call meetings about our insurance costs going way up every year. There were several reasons for this -- one was that we had MUCH higher maternity and family costs than the average. The families were very large and there were always several pregnant women in the office at any given time. Another reason was the quantity of sick leave, short-term disability, and other paid days taken.

I'm not begrudging anyone health coverage or sick days; God knows, when I first became ill and was struggling to keep working, I used a lot of days and insurance coverage, too. My point, though, is that employers save those costs when workers are illegal. They're saving a LOT of money that way and, thus, are happier with people who work for a fraction of the cost of employing legal workers. It's human nature -- if someone does something for me for free or at a low cost, I'm just happy to have some work done and I'm not picky. However, if I am paying top-dollar, I expect hard work and professionalism.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:01 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,924,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The fact is that Americans just don't cut it in many a workplace. If you ask employers "off the record" who they prefer they will almost always tell you they prefer the Mexican worker. Read this article:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/123007dnedianonymous.278c46.html (broken link)

"Workers like him find support among business owners especially in Texas industries dependent on unskilled immigrants, like agriculture and construction. They say that without those workers, they couldn't survive.

Marty owns a North Texas construction company. He has come to view American workers as undependable, lazy and arrogant, while he finds illegal immigrants motivated and reliable.

"I'd rather employ them than Americans," he confides. "In my line of work, I need the Mexicans, and I am for them being here. I need them because I can't find anybody else to do the work."

I hear employers all the time saying similar things. I heard a restaurant owner say he would pay the Mexicans MORE if he had too because they are so much better workers than the Americans he used to employ.

Any employer with no morals will always find slave-labor more agreeable than those with rights to speak up about injustice. These people are being exploited, while they themselves are exploiting our society and you promote that?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:05 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,353,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Any employer with no morals will always find slave-labor more agreeable than those with rights to speak up about injustice. These people are being exploited, while they themselves are exploiting our society and you promote that?
Excellent Observation......
Someone rep Synopsis for me.....I have to spread some around before hitting Synopsis again...

Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Someone rep Synopsis for me.....I have to spread some around before hitting Synopsis again...
Done.

My rep point supply for hitting other up is getting 'thin' as well.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:16 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,422,165 times
The latter know that they are losing the war of public opinion.[/quote]

Since when is losing the war of public opinion a bad thing? Public opinion voted for Bush a second time, and the Germans voted for Hitler.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:31 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,523,011 times
When businesses begin to pay a living wage again then maybe Americans will start applying for those jobs. Because a skilled worker refuses to apply for a job that pays scab wages does not necessarily mean he is lazy.

To some one who is used to being paid two dollars a week, what they are making here is huge. Even when that "huge" is so far below poverty level.

Sure Americans have become lazy. There is much truth to that argument also.

When im on a major remodel job and the contractor tells me he charged the homeowner $200,000 and everyone I see working there is low skilled workers making perhaps minimum wage, I know the contractor is making a killing. He is getting rich while the wage earner crawls to the bank to cash his pittance of a pay check. The bank teller can read it in his eyes. He will walk home with a small fist full of cash and has no idea how he will make it stretch to the next one.

It is not fair but neither is life fair.
Intelligence rules and dumbness falters.
Get an education in a trade. Not some useless liberal arts crap.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:33 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

The situation with illegals isn't good for those who would like to come here legally either -- it just means fewer employer sponsors to immigrate legally since so much ultra-cheap illegal can be had -- why bother sponsoring anyone?

You would have to provide your legal immigrant higher wages, and take financial responsibility for him/her. What greedy employer wants to do that?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:43 PM

394 posts, read 896,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
DONE....AND DESERVED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or