U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,224,710 times

Advertisements

I need them - because they are CHEAP! I can pay them less for a job that should be paid more thus taking a job away from an American. Yep Mexicans are BETTER for greedy and corrupt business.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,969,682 times
That's all just BS. If they can generalize about workers from certain places, why are they upset if WE generalize about illegals?

Hypocrites.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,711,257 times
Quote:
I need them - because they are CHEAP! I can pay them less for a job that should be paid more thus taking a job away from an American. Yep Mexicans are BETTER for greedy and corrupt business.
Capitalism, which is the American economic system depends on profit, that profit goes back into the business for materials, advertising, dividends, paying the electric bill etc. The greater the difference between cost of production and selling price of product, the greater the product. One would have to be foolish indeed to consciously reduce profit. As a business manager in a competitive market you must be able to create product and sell that product competitively.

Labor cost is a huge proportion of any product cost. If you can find quality labor at a lessor cost than your competitor you will increase profit. That is the American way.

In many business areas there is a shortage of labor. In order to provide product one needs to solve that problem.

Agriculture in California alone is a 30 billion dollar business. It requires masses of laborers. If you can solve the labor problem I would like to hear about it.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:44 AM

8,062 posts, read 15,878,494 times
"Agriculture in California alone is a 30 billion dollar business. It requires masses of laborers. If you can solve the labor problem I would like to hear about it."

Agriculture could be FAR more mechanized than it is. The technology exists to replace most pickers with machines but it hasn't been done because of the availability of cheap labor. It would make much more financial sense for the government to assist farmers with purchasing the equipment necessary to modernize than to effectively keep our borders open to assure a flood of cheap labor.

Robotics and other technology are used in every other industry; it's way past time for food production to modernize, as well. I've read that to mechanize we may have to sacrifice some more fragile types of tomatoes and such but big deal! If I absolutely HAVE to have those varieties, I can cultivate a few plants in my own backyard.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,824,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Labor cost is a huge proportion of any product cost. If you can find quality labor at a lessor cost than your competitor you will increase profit. That is the American way.

In many business areas there is a shortage of labor. In order to provide product one needs to solve that problem.
This was the same rationale of the plantation owners for slavery.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,067,258 times
Quote:
Capitalism, which is the American economic system depends on profit, that profit goes back into the business for materials, advertising, dividends, paying the electric bill etc. The greater the difference between cost of production and selling price of product, the greater the product. One would have to be foolish indeed to consciously reduce profit. As a business manager in a competitive market you must be able to create product and sell that product competitively.

Agriculture in California alone is a 30 billion dollar business. It requires masses of laborers. If you can solve the labor problem I would like to hear about it.
Do you support abolishing the minimum wage? How about abolishing all labor laws?

Let's take a different angle. Why should I pay anybody for anything? I mean, you imply that profit seeking transcends law.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,043,941 times
Quote:

No one is arguing that hiring illegals doesn't save the companies money, but as far as fields like construction (i.e. new housing, remodels, etc.) that savings is sure not being passed on to the consumer, so where do you think it's going? And why should any of us believe it's not the case with every other field that uses illegal labor? Did you ever think that greed and increased profits by the use of illegal labor is WRONG no matter how it benefits the business? You seem to be well read up on capitalism, so put that book down and read up on the following: 1) The laws of the United States and the consequences for breaking them, 2) Morals, and 3) Business ethics.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:01 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,491,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
When using "American" could you be more specific? Canadians as well as Argentinians are all Americans!!!! Oh and Mexicans are North Americans as are those from the USA or from Canada.

Do you mean like, United States of America, Canada of America and Mexico of America ? I've only heard of the first "of America"...not the other two.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:49 PM

522 posts, read 857,912 times
Default From A gal who picked apples..

Quote:
Of course, that is bogus, misleading and probably wrong, just look at how many white americans work piece work in the vegetable fields, Oh, None? oooops

I am here to tell you that I did work on an apple orchard while getting my education.
I am not an immigrant.
I am white.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:54 PM

522 posts, read 857,912 times
Default Go down to your local welfare office

Quote:

Ask welfare to forward a few employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or