U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
Lukeache: Whenever a pro-illegal blooger refers to the "Italians, Irish, etc." immigration and liken the latest "over the border walkers" as being the same, it angers me no end. First of all, our parents and grandfathers came from the late 1890's to the early 1940's, mostly during 1901-1930. Irrefultable is the fact, there were no welfare, house subsidies, unemployment checks, free health care, etc. The first food voucher was issued in 1940 and the first social security check was received in the early forties. Our forbears were truly coming here to make a living, not to take a living from hardworking citizens of America. The illegals have not learned anything about America prior to coming here or they would know the services they are consuming cost much more for their entire family than the low under the table wages they are earning. They would know that in a Democracy, it is not the dictator's oil or wealth that is distributed, it is the hard earned dollars of people who believe in the rule of law for everyone. The illegals have created an under the radar world, where they access our hard earned dollars, cry discrimination if we complain that we, the on the record taxpayers cannot afford to support them all the poor from every country that want to live out their dreams of making money to bring back to their country. What about our dreams? Of Saluting our Flag, obeying our laws, etc. A suggestion for Lukeache: when my parents came over here on April 25, 1914, through Ellis Island, they had a sponsor, a promised job, a place to live and did not expect to be supported for a lifetime by other people. So, Lukeache, why don't you start a sponsor group...people who feel as you do. Have these illegal families contact the members of your group and give them the support they want. But remember, to have their health and criminal checks done, because there are no clinics at the border, no criminal checks at the border. In my town, we have approx. 10 cases of TB, all traceable to the illegals. We enacted new by-laws to prevent overcrowding,l ten/twenty mattresses to an apartment and their land their landlords are suing the town and want the town's taxpayers to pay their court bill. May I refer them to you? Only jesting but many a truth is said in jest.
Like Beliy and my father as well: your ancesters did things the correct way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 12:09 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Like Beliy and my father as well: your ancesters did things the correct way
Trust me, if it was the South Americans coming through Ellis Island and all illegals coming from Europe I'd be saying the same thing.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:39 PM

307 posts, read 1,287,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
I am sorry if I see it exactly the opposite of what you stated above. The reason? Because of this quote of yours where you have no idea what you posted about but was more than willing to run down a whole country about an issue you have so little knowledge about.

Once again, I do not promote racism or illegal immigration. On-like that website promotes racism

Just because mexicans is the largest number of illegal immigrants in this country does not mean I am going justify my manner of supporting racism. Illegal immigration should be viewed as political, not of a certain decent someone is from.
I understand everyones anger on this issue.
But when throwing in "Gringos, or beaners" for illegal immigration issues, it deems hypocritical and makes you lack a point. Of what exactly you are trying to support.

It is racism, in other words.

There are more intelligent/better ways of dealing with this issue. But NOT using racism.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Once again, I do not promote racism or illegal immigration. On-like that website promotes racism

Just because mexicans is the largest number of illegal immigrants in this country does not mean I am going justify my manner of supporting racism. Illegal immigration should be viewed as political, not of a certain decent someone is from.
But when throwing in "Gringos, or beaners" for illegal immigration issues, it deems hypocritical and makes you lack a point. Of what exactly you are trying to support.

There are more intelligent/better ways of dealing with this issue.
Agreed

Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM

608 posts, read 881,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post

There are more intelligent/better ways of dealing with this issue. But NOT using racism.
I was reading somewhere that the illegal debate is nothing more than racism. Not saying all who are anti illegal are racist but it is easy during our time of "political correctness" to jump on the bandwagon and claim illegal, law breaking, etc. because by doing so it does not directly use racial slurs. Take this forum for example Mexican is the choice when referring to illegal. True they are the largest portion of the hispanic/latino community but if one wants to argue illegal it is all illegals. Some threads spell this out but many do not. I am wondering if the moderators should start a Mexican Immigration thread in addition to the current Immigration one. That should have an interesting outcome.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:29 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I was reading somewhere that the illegal debate is nothing more than racism. Not saying all who are anti illegal are racist but it is easy during our time of "political correctness" to jump on the bandwagon and claim illegal, law breaking, etc. because by doing so it does not directly use racial slurs. Take this forum for example Mexican is the choice when referring to illegal. True they are the largest portion of the hispanic/latino community but if one wants to argue illegal it is all illegals. Some threads spell this out but many do not. I am wondering if the moderators should start a Mexican Immigration thread in addition to the current Immigration one. That should have an interesting outcome.
Where did you read that? Some pro illegal site?

it has NOTHING to do with race, it is about respect and laws and security. Pro illegals need to get a new line.

And I dont follow the PC ( which is stupid) crowds.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM

474 posts, read 526,895 times
One of my friends who was reluctant about agreeing that illegals are a drain on society had to be shown the way.
He is a retired 88 yr.old veteran and widower on a small pension. I suggested the next time he saw an identified illegal ( in our area we were unundated with a tribal migration from a certain area of So. America where genes are not distributed widely)/ Moreover,many of them do not speak one word of English, which is part of becoming a citizen, and are often accompanied to various agencies with interpreters. But back to my retired friend....I suggested that the next time he went to a supermarket that he look around at food baskets. When he found one sky high with food..even underneath where some clerks fail to see..follow to the check-out counter. I suggested he try to be second in line and listen and learn..even chat with the cashier who in most cases is a working parent and watching this largesse knowing their taxes are funding this giveaway..... He did that...the basket of food totaled over 450 dollars...the top of the heap covered with several large cuts of meat...there was my friend who fought for this country with his few carefully chosen items...jaw hanging, in most cases the lucky "new resident" then loads the harvest in a late model vehicle barely able to reach the gas pedal...sounds prejudiced? Not by me.....my parents came here to work and earn...we were told never to ask for government charity....because that was someone else's hard earned money

Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
One of my friends who was reluctant about agreeing that illegals are a drain on society had to be shown the way.
He is a retired 88 yr.old veteran and widower on a small pension. I suggested the next time he saw an identified illegal ( in our area we were unundated with a tribal migration from a certain area of So. America where genes are not distributed widely)/ Moreover,many of them do not speak one word of English, which is part of becoming a citizen, and are often accompanied to various agencies with interpreters. But back to my retired friend....I suggested that the next time he went to a supermarket that he look around at food baskets. When he found one sky high with food..even underneath where some clerks fail to see..follow to the check-out counter. I suggested he try to be second in line and listen and learn..even chat with the cashier who in most cases is a working parent and watching this largesse knowing their taxes are funding this giveaway..... He did that...the basket of food totaled over 450 dollars...the top of the heap covered with several large cuts of meat...there was my friend who fought for this country with his few carefully chosen items...jaw hanging, in most cases the lucky "new resident" then loads the harvest in a late model vehicle barely able to reach the gas pedal...sounds prejudiced? Not by me.....my parents came here to work and earn...we were told never to ask for government charity....because that was someone else's hard earned money
The supermarket cashiers are the "boots on the ground" when it comes to knowing what is truly going on. I have spoken to some cashiers (older women..the young ones have no clue and don't care) and the stories they tell you leave you with your jaw hanging.

I've seen some instances myself when on line. I know what the Texas EBT card looks like.
Necessities my foot is what I say in most cases..yes MOST.

Our government has gotten so big and bloated they can't even manage the programs they run and just hand out money and backtrack when some news article comes out asking the agency to explain why many of their food stamp users are using them in Hawaii.

Here's one example:
Texas food stamp card used in NYC to the tune of $500K
Texas investigates possible food stamp abuse | khou.com Houston

Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,551,884 times
Government wants to make corrections in SS, medicare, medicaid, but it doesn't seem to want to touch the fraud committed with the usage of food stamps. Dare we take from those in "need"?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 PM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Government wants to make corrections in SS, medicare, medicaid, but it doesn't seem to want to touch the fraud committed with the usage of food stamps. Dare we take from those in "need"?
Excellent point! How ridiculous it all is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or