U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:52 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,380,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Technically all the first settlers got free passes. No one 'stopped' them from coming here.
There were no immigration laws - hence, no free pass

Amnesty equals free pass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 PM

407 posts, read 715,166 times
Quote:
Technically all the first settlers got free passes. No one 'stopped' them from coming here.
Will you please get some new material and some that actually make sense and are the truth? What you stated is pure hogwash since there were no laws back then. Sheeesh!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:43 PM

157 posts, read 277,028 times
Talking Logic

HOW DUMB SAYING technically they got free passes. THE PLACE WASN"T SETTLED. THOSE PEOPLE WERE PIONEERS. THERE WASN'T ANY WELFARE FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!! THEY DIDN'T GET FREE EVERYTHING!!!!!! THEY WORKED AND MADE IT AND NEVER STOLE JOBS!!!! GET A LIFE!!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 AM

474 posts, read 527,091 times
User 2: Thank you for the web site address regarding immigration laws etc. One can readily see that when problems arose, laws were enacted to control the "flow." It appears that almost every state is grappling with problems resulting from illegal immigration. America does not have an infinite souce of money, goods, etc. to give away without documentation of need. Undocumented means no paper, no identity. The manager of the "welfare office" in my area told me she cannot question the number of children to be funded after they say "no english" have five or whatever kids, or else she will be subject to "discrimination.: Yet, veterans asking for assistance have to produce a DD214 form to prove their existence. I think, a fitting punishment for businesses that recruit illegal aliens, should have their assets seized to pay for passage back to the country of origin. Or we should be able to bill the country of origin for the care of their needy. This not a country whose programs are funded with oil profits, the programs are funded with our money, taxes! All three candidates, Obama, Hillary and McCain are making excuses for the illegals and our taxes are paying the freight. By the way, have any of you given thought to the fact that all three are on our payroll supposedly as full time members of the Congress and have spent the last two years traveling all over the country. Who is minding the store? If we can get along without them all this time, why do we need them as "full timers." Maybe it is time to not only take the keys to the White away, it is time to change the locks!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 PM

226 posts, read 268,953 times
I have nothing against the people who come here legally. It's the illegals who sneak here that I have a problem with. Come on...they hear about the free things America will give them so of course they come here.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:25 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,735,907 times
I understand the Illegal Immigrant problem and I do think that employers should shoulder the biggest price because in fact they hire them and make the profits from them.
I do not understand how any employer would be able to tell if documents are authenic?
In the case of Mexican immigrants, if you were an employer and the person showed you the documents, would you know if they were legal or not? Or would you not take the chance on hiring them even if there was a good chance they are legal citizens? We must have some employers that have faced that problem here on the forum, it would be of interest to know how they handled it.
Sassy

Old 02-24-2008, 05:29 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I understand the Illegal Immigrant problem and I do think that employers should shoulder the biggest price because in fact they hire them and make the profits from them.
I do not understand how any employer would be able to tell if documents are authenic?
In the case of Mexican immigrants, if you were an employer and the person showed you the documents, would you know if they were legal or not? Or would you not take the chance on hiring them even if there was a good chance they are legal citizens? We must have some employers that have faced that problem here on the forum, it would be of interest to know how they handled it.
Sassy
That's where E-Verify comes in. If employers would run those documents through this FREE database they'd be able to discover which documents are forged or being used unlawfully.

Tell your Congresscritters to support E-Verify!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,380,187 times
Quote:
Here you go PL - one of the stupidist statements you have made lately!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 PM

Hi: would someone please explain the reputation number?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:52 PM

Hi it's me again. How would one find the E-verify address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration