U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 AM

25,084 posts, read 13,915,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
We have 13 million people who basically have "illegal" status. These people probably work, shop and do everything as anybody else. Why would not amnesty be a good idea? I have heard the argument "We can't reward people for illegal behavior". I mean, we have rewarded people with 7 amnesties since 1986, why not another one?

I personally would rather have a country where everyone is legal and accounted for than having an underclass of people that basically "dont exist". I also feel like having illegal status might be a big incentive for criminal behavior, since many of these people have "nothing to lose". Deporting 13 million people is costly and logistically impossible, so why not legalize the people who are here and then reconsider the current immigration policy?
Why do u want to legalize or give citizenship to a group of people who don't want to be citizens? They have demonstrated this by marches, protest, display of a foreign flags, refusal to speak English and comply with American laws. Sure illegal immigrants want the benefits citizenship has to offer, but being an American is far from their mind. It seems to me they want America to be Mexico. I have not heard one protester for illegal immigration rights say they want to be an American or they want to speak in the English language or that they love this country and pledge allegiance to the American flag. The only argument I have heard is "we are hard workers, so we deserve to be here." I am all for legal immigration- going through the process says "I want to be an American and I respect the laws of this great nation." Why legalize criminal behavior and reward its fruits with the right to vote when clearly this group of people do not have America's best interest at heart? Illegal immigrants have their own interest at heart and that certainly is not endearing to the American people. I will tell u why there should be no amnesty. It just does not work. If u legalize criminal behavior it will not deter the behavior. In fact it will encourage the behavior. We can see this to be true from prior experience. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 essentially gave amnesty to any illegal who wanted it. This measure did not make it easier to track who is in the U.S. The country was not secured by this measure. Illegal immigration did not stop either. It increased significantly and this is how we arrived at the problem we have today. After the last amnesty there was an influx of illegal immigration into the U.S. Illegal immigrants who missed out the first time around were motivated to come into the U.S. and wait for amnesty again. Let's face illegal immigration is big time dollars for Mexico and other countries too. Mexico is going to keep encouraging illegal immigration. Frankly it is about the money. No illegal immigration from Mexico means no U.S. dollars fueling the Mexican economy. This is why amnesty just won't work and Americans need to say NO to illegal immigration. (*and no to John McCain or any other politician who is pro amnesty)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,775,361 times
mccain is certainly going to have to backpedal on illegal immigration if he has any chance at the presidency. i am not sure that he is willing to do that. the democrats have always been for illegal immigration, particularly obama, so we may be out of luck in the upcoming election. i am still waiting for a candidate to vote for, as opposed one to vote against.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
mccain is certainly going to have to backpedal on illegal immigration if he has any chance at the presidency. i am not sure that he is willing to do that. the democrats have always been for illegal immigration, particularly obama, so we may be out of luck in the upcoming election. i am still waiting for a candidate to vote for, as opposed one to vote against.
Obama may be a wild card.

Hillary is pandering the the 'Hispanic' vote in Texas------which means she is likely pro amnesty whereas Obama is picking up most of the Blacks.

As of late: more and more AA's are waking up to the menace of illegal immigration.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
All you need to know about E-verify...

DHS | E-Verify (http://www.dhs.gov/ximgtn/programs/gc_1185221678150.shtm - broken link)

Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM

474 posts, read 526,969 times
[SIZE=6]Audio clips of the true agenda of Illegal Alien Lobby [/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Agendas of MEChA, La Raza, MALDEF, and Southwest Voter Registration Projects[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]This is a compilation of live, recorded statements by elected U.S. politicians, college professors, and pro-illegal alien activists whose objective is to take control of our country "by vote if possible and violence if necessary!" [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The speakers listed below are not the "lunatic fringe". They are some of the most powerful Latino leaders and politicians in America, whose allegiance is to foreigners of their ethnic group, not to the United States. They seek political power and realize the way to get it is to flood America with legal and illegal immigrants from their ethnic "tribe". Simply by demographics, they will dilute the vote of American citizens and replace our American culture. "The Third World" is at your doorstep and anxious to present you with the bill as they jump on "the entitlement bandwagon." If you think this is an exaggeration, you have only to witness California as a forewarning of where our entire country is headed. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A very sinister message being taught in many Ethnic Studies programs across this country. While MEChA and LA Raza, the two largest Latino organizations on college and high school campuses preach hatred for America, the liberal media ignores them, as the Ford, Rockefeller, Carnegie and other Foundations contribute millions to promote their anarchy. Pro-illegal immigration activists would have you believe "illegals" are coming here only to seek work and a better life. MEChA, LA Raza, MALDEF and the Southwest Voter Registration Project have much darker agendas. Listen to the following audio clips to understand their message. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]"We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works."

--- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant, as quoted by Richard de Uriarte, The Phoenix Gazette, March 14, 1992 (quoted in The ProEnglish Advocate, 1st quarter, 2002).
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Instructions: Click on "R" to listen to the clip via RealAudio in any browser.[/SIZE]Click on "W" to listen to the clip via Windows Media Audio in Internet Explorer.Click on "T" to read the transcript of the audio clip.
[SIZE=3]# [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Speaker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Time[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Medium[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Armando Navarro[/SIZE], Professor of Ethnic Studies, University of California at Riverside
[SIZE=3]1:18[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Art Torres[/SIZE], former California State Senator and currently Chairman of the California Democratic Party
[SIZE=3]1:13[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Jose Angel Gutierrez[/SIZE], Professor, University of Texas at Arlington and founder of La RazaUnida Party
[SIZE=3]1:31[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Bill Richardson[/SIZE], former U.S. Congressman, U.N. Ambassador, U.S. Secretary of Energy, and currently Governor of New Mexico
[SIZE=3]0:48[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]5[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Mario Obledo[/SIZE], founding member of MALDEF (Mexican American Legal Defense & Education Fund)
[SIZE=3]1:03[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]6[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Mario Obledo[/SIZE], given the U.S. Medal of Freedom, America's highest civilian honor
[SIZE=3]0:49[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]7[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Richard Alatorre[/SIZE], Los Angeles City Council Member
[SIZE=3]0:52[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Joe Baca[/SIZE], former California State Assemblyman, now U.S. Congressman & member Hispanic Caucus
[SIZE=3]2:31[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Antonio Villaraigosa[/SIZE], former Speaker of California State Assembly
[SIZE=3]1:52[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Gloria Molina[/SIZE], one of the five Los Angeles Country Board of Supervisors
[SIZE=3]1:45[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]11[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Vicky Castro[/SIZE], a recent member of the Los Angeles Board of Education
[SIZE=3]1:43[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]12[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ruben Zacarias[/SIZE], former Superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District
[SIZE=3]1:24[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]13[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]El Presidente Ernesto Zedillo[/SIZE], former President of Mexico
[SIZE=3]1:31[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]14[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Augustin[/SIZE]Cebada, information minister of the Brown Berets, foot soldiers of the "Aztlan" movement
[SIZE=3]2:25[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]15[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Fabian Nunez[/SIZE], elected Speaker of the California State Assembly in 2003
[SIZE=3]5:08[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]16[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Larry Elder[/SIZE], Los Angeles KABC Radio talk show host
[SIZE=3]0:35[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]17[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Tom Tancredo[/SIZE], current Colorado U.S. Congressman and active opponent of illegal immigration
[SIZE=3]0:45[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]18[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Gray Davis[/SIZE], former Governor of California
[SIZE=3]0:18[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]19[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]MEChA[/SIZE] chants, from MEChA's 1996 annual conference at Cal-state University at Northridge
[SIZE=3]1:23[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]R W T [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The above audio clips are from archives distributed by the California Coalition for Immigration Reform. THE AMERICAN RESISTANCE assumes no responsibility for possible errors in recording, attribution, or transcription. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The first 15 audio clips above demonstrate the "Pro-Mexico, Anti-America" agenda of "Pro-Immigration" activists and politicians. Rather than[/SIZE]

Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,159,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Obama may be a wild card.

Hillary is pandering the the 'Hispanic' vote in Texas------which means she is likely pro amnesty whereas Obama is picking up most of the Blacks.

As of late: more and more AA's are waking up to the menace of illegal immigration.
I don' think Hilary can top this off:

Old 02-29-2008, 01:22 PM

Thank you Guy Penestra: The verbatim accounts are chilling aren't they. When I first blogged in today, I saw the one that asked for the march on Washinton. At first I did not recognize it as one of the audio taped messages and it scared me out of my patriotic skin. Alas! There is a new amnesty bill making its way through the Congress, we, the documented, have to do something about that. The problem is that most of us are working, we are not on welfare, workmen's comp or some other government program that allows us time to demonstrate. This new amnesty bill forgives back taxes, grants the college tuition discount to the 18 year old children of the illegals who want to attend our public universities. These same 18 year olds are required to register for Selective Service. They laugh when asked if they have done so. Why is that not written into the amnesty bill? No registration, no programs! I said to one of them who laughed when asked, " So you believe that our children should fight to keep American safe for you to come here, strip us of our tax dollars so you can go back to a country that doesn't support us? ...to continue about the amnesty bill......The length of the infamous fence would be shortened, Their lawyer bills would be paid by the taxpayers, retrospective amnesty for those illegals who have been previously deported, they would be elgible for the earned income tax credit, would not be forced to speak English, They can send for their families. We are the ones who should be marching on Washington!
The American Dream is slipping away. The uninvited, undocumented, illegal persons are demanding now that their flag fly above ours, that they are eligible for what has always been the citizen's right. I just spent two hours trying to get my health insurer to understand that they are the primary payor while the image of the illegals at our emergency room, crowding us out, demanding interpreters, doctors (no nurse, want doctor). It is disgusting. They must really think "land of the free means just that." It's time they learn, that it is the land of the free because it is the home of the brave. Brave Americans who fight and serve all over the world, while the brave taxpayers pay their honest due to the government. Because the undocumented have no papers, they cannot be asked status or anything else lest we stigmatize them. If is unconscionable to think if someone broke into your house, that you are obligated to educate them, give them a better health plan than you have, let them use your car, without insurance, driver's education, and be eligible for all the benefits for which you must produce documents and they do not? What's wrong with that picture? Why should a veteran have to produce a DD214 for any program he needs when an illegal does not have to document anything. Again, Thanks for taking the time to showcase the verbatim transcripts that should wake up our cyber space friends.

Last edited by Friendly blogger; 02-29-2008 at 01:32 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 AM

mkFarnam: Just wanted to jump in for a moment to say, a search on the literature regarding effective dates of the enactment of immigration laws or when passports came into being, qualifying language for voting privileges for example, in the Massachusetts Constitution, which is viewed as the oldest still governing document in the world, states used the phrase "provided that this amendment shall not affect the rights of any person of foreign birth possessed at the time of adoption thereof and provided further it shall not affect the rights of any child of any citizen of the United States born during the temporary absence of the person therefrom." demonstrates that new laws might affect rights previously held. The Massachusetts Constitution also states "No person of foreign birth shall be entitled to vote or shall be eligible to office, unless he shall have resided within the jurisdiction of the United States for two years subsequent to his naturlization and shall be otherwiuse qualified according to the Constitution and Laws of this Commonwealth. Now, this mention may not be on point, but it is my considered judgment that regarding " immigration that may have occurred years ago" that that was then and this is now. There may not have been the kinds of laws we have today, but the laws of today are the prevailing laws and must be respected. The preamble to the Mass. Consititution also states that the Consittution is a "social compact" that binds all the people to the same laws, a compact that binds all people together." It goes on to say, that with this compact includes duties and obligations." So why are illegals allowed to live outside our laws? Either we are a country of laws or else, let everyone else who is bound by the social compact have the same "illegal freedoms that illegal aliens have" that is, the right to remain undocumented and the right to access government benefits that were reserved for Americans? John and Samuel Adams and James Bowdoin were invited to Washinton to write the Federal Constitution (1788) which is modeled on the Mass. Model.(enacted in 1780.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
It is scarey! Especially since the ones suggesting amnesty are by far the minority or politicans. When will WE the people be heard? Call, write, email or visit your state and local representatives. We will be heard!
After watching some of the Fourth of July events on national tv and seeing the passion of people like Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the courage of Nathan Hale, it makes me more fervent than ever to demand no amnesty for people who just walk into our country, take its benefits and show no interest in becoming full fledged citizens....the legal way.
Young men 18 and over, documented or undocumented are required to register for Selective Service. I often wonder how many do? I suppose if they have already broken the laws regarding entry into the United States, work without proper papers, what's another broken law? I wonder what they are thinking about our Fourth of July celebrations? I wonder if they even know or care about what a Medal of Honor American did to earn it? On this great Fourth of July celebration, I feel more than ever, that those of us who oppose looking the other way, amnesty included, must support the rule of law and demand equality under our Constitution and that meansliberty, freedom, and citizenship matters.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:29 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
After watching some of the Fourth of July events on national tv and seeing the passion of people like Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the courage of Nathan Hale, it makes me more fervent than ever to demand no amnesty for people who just walk into our country, take its benefits and show no interest in becoming full fledged citizens....the legal way.
Young men 18 and over, documented or undocumented are required to register for Selective Service. I often wonder how many do? I suppose if they have already broken the laws regarding entry into the United States, work without proper papers, what's another broken law? I wonder what they are thinking about our Fourth of July celebrations? I wonder if they even know or care about what a Medal of Honor American did to earn it? On this great Fourth of July celebration, I feel more than ever, that those of us who oppose looking the other way, amnesty included, must support the rule of law and demand equality under our Constitution and that meansliberty, freedom, and citizenship matters.
Yes.

Sufficve to say: there may be a silver lining in the 'cloud' AKA illegal immigrant lawbreakers running amok in this nation-------my patriotism has grown exponentially. This coming from as self described Hippie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration