Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,509,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
We have 13 million people who basically have "illegal" status. These people probably work, shop and do everything as anybody else. Why would not amnesty be a good idea? I have heard the argument "We can't reward people for illegal behavior". I mean, we have rewarded people with 7 amnesties since 1986, why not another one?

I personally would rather have a country where everyone is legal and accounted for than having an underclass of people that basically "dont exist". I also feel like having illegal status might be a big incentive for criminal behavior, since many of these people have "nothing to lose". Deporting 13 million people is costly and logistically impossible, so why not legalize the people who are here and then reconsider the current immigration policy?
Because deportation is so much better. Why is it Republicans that love to open our borders up to others, instead of closing them down? Vote Reform, Pat Buchanan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 04:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,331,647 times
what world do some of you live in?
AMNESTY IS A BAD IDEA.. It didn't work before and still will not work!
All amnesty did was give 13 million illegals the right to be on welfare and every other free source. Amnesty also allowed those illegals.. to bring over 3 million relatives who were still over in mexico!

Now we have upwards of 15 million + more illegals.. Give them amnesty and that population will TRIPLE. but hey.. you still have MORE relatives still south of the border.. we might as well let them in too.. oh and don't forget the other 50 million that still hasn't made it over the border yet. oh yeh.. don't forget the other 100 million from central and south america who hasn't been able to work thier way up into mexico yet.. then sneak over here as well!

Opening the door and giving amnesty.. is like taking the lid off of a giant candy jar and telling a room filled with 5 year olds to help themselves!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,347,299 times
Amnesty is just our Governments way of wiping the slate clean and burying a problem just to let it build up for another 20 years and by that time they won't even be in office.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 PM

699 posts, read 2,228,727 times
Amnesty would also be bring tax dollars from illegal immigrants to help with the strain they are causing.

Many of the problems with illegal immigration is because American citizens are the ones paying for illegal immigrants.

Legalizing them would at least have them share the burden.

What other posters have stated is untrue. Amnesty won't cause legal citizens to pay more for services for these immigrants. We are already paying for them now.

Amnesty would actually relieve some of our burden because more of it will be shared.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Amnesty would also be bring tax dollars from illegal immigrants to help with the strain they are causing.

Many of the problems with illegal immigration is because American citizens are the ones paying for illegal immigrants.

Legalizing them would at least have them share the burden.

What other posters have stated is untrue. Amnesty won't cause legal citizens to pay more for services for these immigrants. We are already paying for them now.

Amnesty would actually relieve our burden because more of it will be shared.
Which "burden"? Unless you can establish residency, you shouldn't be treated in the hospitals. The hospitals are already moving towards NOT treating people who have no insurance.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Which "burden"? Unless you can establish residency, you shouldn't be treated in the hospitals. The hospitals are already moving towards NOT treating people who have no insurance.
Burden can be anything. From police services, to social work services, to even real estate value. I'm not saying Amnesty is the answer, but there are some good points to it.

How many millions upon millions of illegal immigrants are estimated to live in this country? They have to be making money somehow to live here, and that's a lot of taxable dollars that could be used to help ease some of the economic troubles the country is in. Right now, we get zip, nada from them.

Legalizing them would grant them the right for minimum wage as well, which thereby take out their biggest competitive advantage: cheap labor.

If you were a store looking to hire an employee, and you had a choice between a person who barely spoke English and one who did, and had to pay them exactly the same wage, who would you choose?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Burden can be anything. From police services, to social work services, to even real estate value. I'm not saying Amnesty is the answer, but there are some good points to it.

How many millions upon millions of illegal immigrants are estimated to live in this country? They have to be making money somehow to live here, and that's a lot of taxable dollars that could be used to help ease some of the economic troubles the country is in. Right now, we get zip, nada from them.

Legalizing them would grant them the right for minimum wage as well, which thereby take out their biggest competitive advantage: cheap labor.

If you were a store looking to hire an employee, and you had a choice between a person who barely spoke English and one who did, and had to pay them exactly the same wage, who would you choose?
Hmm...I guess that would depend on my customers. If my customers predominantly spoke French, I might want French speaking employees on the payroll. However, I think we should DEPORT the ones we find, and refuse the others entry to our country.

I don't care WHERE you come from, you don't need to come to America. Leave that to the native born.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Hmm...I guess that would depend on my customers. If my customers predominantly spoke French, I might want French speaking employees on the payroll. However, I think we should DEPORT the ones we find, and refuse the others entry to our country.

I don't care WHERE you come from, you don't need to come to America. Leave that to the native born.
So, does your intense dislike for illegal immigrants stem from an economic background, a moral sense of right or wrong, or just plain "because they aren't native born"?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM

*double post

Old 01-31-2008, 06:36 PM

because they weren't native born.

When Alaska and Hawaii were admitted, we added land area to the country. We have not done so since. Increases in population since their admission would be a bad thing. Some increase is from the natural processes of childbirth (though I personally like family size restrictions, like China has)...but we don't need to artificially increase population through immigration.

I don't believe in moving out of county, much less out of the country. I believe in staying in one place, and living out my whole life in that place. So my views are going to reflect that.

I'm not racist, since I do not care WHAT country the immigrant comes from. The Poles, the Irish, they're white, and I don't want to see them coming here either. Nor do I want to see AMERICANS leaving the country to go elsewhere. If they don't love the country enough to stay here, then who needs them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration