U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 PM

751 posts, read 847,761 times

Advertisements

We have 13 million people who basically have "illegal" status. These people probably work, shop and do everything as anybody else. Why would not amnesty be a good idea? I have heard the argument "We can't reward people for illegal behavior". I mean, we have rewarded people with 7 amnesties since 1986, why not another one?

I personally would rather have a country where everyone is legal and accounted for than having an underclass of people that basically "dont exist". I also feel like having illegal status might be a big incentive for criminal behavior, since many of these people have "nothing to lose". Deporting 13 million people is costly and logistically impossible, so why not legalize the people who are here and then reconsider the current immigration policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:05 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Yes and then who will have to provide them their medical insurance policies and so on? And who will have to pay for the education of all the kids they bring over and produce here? Remember -- they are wanted because they'll work like dogs for so little pay -- that's what makes you prefer them over middle class Americans.

So you put Americans out of work -- and then who will pay for these people?

Now with massive greed and fraud bringing on the collapse of the housing industry -- that bubble is bursting right now, we don't need millions of uneducated cheap construction labor.

Manufacturing has left the country, housing is collapsing. Are your millions of illegals and the big chain migration that will follow to put all Americans out of jobs?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:06 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
We have 13 million people who basically have "illegal" status. These people probably work, shop and do everything as anybody else. Why would not amnesty be a good idea? I have heard the argument "We can't reward people for illegal behavior". I mean, we have rewarded people with 7 amnesties since 1986, why not another one?

I personally would rather have a country where everyone is legal and accounted for than having an underclass of people that basically "dont exist". I also feel like having illegal status might be a big incentive for criminal behavior, since many of these people have "nothing to lose". Deporting 13 million people is costly and logistically impossible, so why not legalize the people who are here and then reconsider the current immigration policy?
Because it not only rewards law breakers; amnesty is a slap in the face of those immigrants who played by the rules------never mind that said rules tend to be asinine at times.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:10 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Leave them illegal. They made that choice, their employers made that choice -- to bring them in illegally rather than sponsor legal immigrants.

Many illegals still have family back in Mexico, it would be better for all if they soon return to them. Many illegals have no permanent or steady job here in this country. And those that do have committed felony document fraud and identity theft -- they certainly shouldn't expect to be rewarded for having done that.

And just with the last big amnesty, there would be millions crossing over the border from many countries to get in on one offered now -- there would be no way to stop huge fraud -- just as there wasn't the last time.

If you can't bring yourself to hire Americans or legal immigrants -- then move your business elsewhere -- it's not needed here.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:17 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Leave them illegal. They made that choice, their employers made that choice -- to bring them in illegally rather than sponsor legal immigrants.

Many illegals still have family back in Mexico, it would be better for all if they soon return to them. Many illegals have no permanent or steady job here in this country. And those that do have committed felony document fraud and identity theft -- they certainly shouldn't expect to be rewarded for having done that.

And just with the last big amnesty, there would be millions crossing over the border from many countries to get in on one offered now -- there would be no way to stop huge fraud -- just as there wasn't the last time.

If you can't bring yourself to hire Americans or legal immigrants -- then move your business elsewhere -- it's not needed here.
As they say: don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya

Old 12-31-2007, 11:33 PM

67 posts, read 37,531 times
Quote:

lukeache while I understand your point the problem with your post is that it is completely illigocal. What you are suggesting is that if one person commits a crime it's a crime, but if 12 million people commit a crime well we need to make it not a crime because there are just too many criminals. So if we make crime no longer a crime they're not criminals any more. Easy huh?

But by your reasoning, "eveyone should be legal", well pal there are at least two billion people on the planet who would love to come to the US because they presently live on a dollar a day! Would you like another two billion people, mostly smelly,filthy, disease-ridden peasants with no education and no skills and nothing in their pockets, living next door to you?

You really need to think about that.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:37 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,391,056 times
Quote:
.... so why not legalize the people who are here and then reconsider the current immigration policy?
Simple. I don't agree with giving gifts to someone who breaks the law.

If someone broke into your home, would you give them a gift?

The country has already given amnesty - it was a dismal failure -

We shall not make that mistake again

Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,715,030 times
Quote:

One of the definitions of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing time and time again yet continuing to expect a different result. The 7 amnesties since 1986 have not worked. They have not in any way 'solved' the immigration problem. The only result of all these amnesties is that we now have 12+ million more sitting here waiting to cash in on the next serial amnesty. If 7 amnesties have not worked, what on earth makes you think yet another amnesty will?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,220,459 times
Quote:

try 20 million.
Right, give them amnesty and very few will come forward to be documented yet they'll still live in sheds and garages, and the amount coming in here illegally will double and with in a year the ones that received amnesty will be replace by twice as many illegals.
You have no idea what happened after the 1986 amnesty do you.
Wake Up.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:08 AM

8,062 posts, read 15,880,370 times
Beyond the clear objection of rewarding lawbreakers and encouraging more to come, this would be effectively erasing the southern border. Mexicans already get far more visas than citizens of every other nation and millions more Mexicans enter illegally. Why does Mexico get such a preferred status? Because they share our border? Big deal, so does Canada.

If we really want (and need) immigrants, then we should be leveling the playing field, improving the process, and increasing the visa quotas for other countries, ESPECIALLY those displaced from Iraq. We promised them we would take Iraqi refugees and the number we have actually admitted is incredibly small.

Honest immigrants get visas -- illegals sneak in. And we're supposed to treat both of these groups the same? Please. I'm beginning to believe these "amnesty" supporters really WANT a large peasant underclass they can lord over and use as servants. The promise of America has been upward mobility -- encouraging illegal immigration doesn't keep that promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration