U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 PM

1,693 posts, read 3,106,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sad, isn't it, Chefkey?

Rather than assimilate, the trend is to convert and/or drag down to the Third World Country they escaped.
The majority of us have ancestors who assimilated. Went to Ellis Island and got their citizenship. Paid taxes from the start and earned their right to be here. I used to work with an Italian lady and it always burned her up to see others getting away without learning English while she struggled to learn it to be part of the country. This goes for ALL languages and nationalities. If you go to Lithuania, don't you think they will expect you to speak their language?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM

I think it is perfectly alright if people legally living here want to speak their language when they desire. However, there are too many moving here who don't yet speak English and don't seem to want to. I work with three Ukranians who barely speak English at all. I speak a little Bulgarian so I try to use this as a bridge but it only helps a little. Granted, two of them are young and taking ESL (English as a Second Language) but the oldest doesn't appear to be trying and only speaks Ukrainian at home. When I worked with dishwashers who only spoke Spanish I communicated with them in Spanish because I had a better understanding of their language than they did mine.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 AM

194 posts, read 400,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I was browsing the L.A. page and found this link. Is this what Hazelton will look like in 20 years.

YouTube - LA or MEXICO? Take a Guess. Muds bean Muds.
What the hell does anything in this video have to do with illegal immigrants?? Seriously do you people just not get out much. These were a bunch of pics of inner city L.A.,scores of grafitti, some homeless black dude with a wig, I don't get the relation. Detroit,Buffalo, Flint, parts of Cleveland, Rochester,NY., these are all cities I'm more than familiar with that have worse urban landscape than that and none of them are particular hotspots for illegals. These cities have looked bad for years. I'm also pretty familiar with LA, and these pics were all in inner city and industrial areas. Now you people are blaming illegal immigration for good ol' american urban blight? And are ads for spanish radio and the minivan with the advertisement in spanish on it supposed to scare us or something? And the number of people on this post that jumped on the bandwagon is pretty sad too,amazing.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:43 AM

902 posts, read 505,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
And no one sees anything wrong with this video? If that was a video of an african-american and it had started with Jamaal is a n***** too, then everyone would be crying racist and everything else. Apparently, there is no moderation on this board unless it suits the purpose of the anti's.
Actually, the pro-illegal lovers get away with far more name calling than any person who wants the lwas followed. Just go through at least 4-5 pages of this grouop and you will see them calling names and such and never getting told about it while all we have to do is say one thing they deem wrong and we get shown the door for time outs and/or banned.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 AM

If you read the entire thread you will find an explanation about this thread. It was moved by a moderator which changed the meaning of the thread. It was started to poke fun at Mayor Lou Barletta for his stance on illegal immigrants and the mods decided to put it on a national page. Had it stayed in the forum it was started it would have stayed in context.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM

46 posts, read 139,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
What the hell does anything in this video have to do with illegal immigrants?? Seriously do you people just not get out much. These were a bunch of pics of inner city L.A.,scores of grafitti, some homeless black dude with a wig, I don't get the relation. Detroit,Buffalo, Flint, parts of Cleveland, Rochester,NY., these are all cities I'm more than familiar with that have worse urban landscape than that and none of them are particular hotspots for illegals. These cities have looked bad for years. I'm also pretty familiar with LA, and these pics were all in inner city and industrial areas. Now you people are blaming illegal immigration for good ol' american urban blight? And are ads for spanish radio and the minivan with the advertisement in spanish on it supposed to scare us or something? And the number of people on this post that jumped on the bandwagon is pretty sad too,amazing.

Exactly, If anyone has been to the big European cities you would see things like that too. Graffiti is a worldwide thing.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Once again, please check the early part of the thread and I remind that the post started as a small poke fun. When a mod moved the thread from local to national the thread took on a different meaning.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,290,826 times
This thread has gone too far off topic. Also remember that we do not discuss moderation in the forum.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or