U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 PM
 
11,557 posts, read 5,530,863 times
Reputation: 9897

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Of course it is not monolithic. It is only about 70% Democrat leaning. When Obama does his thing this month and the Republicans denounce it and veer to the extreme, it may be even larger.
You see, not all democrats support amnesty (believe it or not, dems don't all think alike when it comes to this issue---or any other issue).

What, to you, is "the extreme"? Oh wait...! I know! You think that enforcing the immigration laws that are on the books is "extreme"

Besides, Hispanics are only 10% of the voting population. 10% doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

As for those who want to reward lawbreakers, no politician---on either side of the aisle---should be in favor of rewarding lawbreakers and those who aid and abet them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,304,914 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You see, not all democrats support amnesty (believe it or not, dems don't all think alike when it comes to this issue---or any other issue).

What, to you, is "the extreme"? Oh wait...! I know! You think that enforcing the immigration laws that are on the books is "extreme"

Besides, Hispanics are only 10% of the voting population. 10% doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

As for those who want to reward lawbreakers, no politician---on either side of the aisle---should be in favor of rewarding lawbreakers and those who aid and abet them.
Agreed and that leaves only 7 percent of US citizens who are of Hispanic family who back the Dems. The rest like Repubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 04:20 PM
 
62,576 posts, read 27,831,811 times
Reputation: 7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's more like who will vote. If Dems can figure out how to get Hispanic voters (legal, of course) to the polls in numbers that they are represented in the population, the border states would turn blue and the Republicans would never again win the Presidency. If Hispanics are so frustrated they need to get off their duffs and go to the polls and be heard. Change is possible, but it takes effort.
Actually, the Hispanic vote is trending the other way... to the GOP. Their main concern is the economy. Obama's dumping millions more newly minted work permit-enabled illegals into their labor market will harm them, not help them. Dumb move, IMHO. Hispanics will have 2 years of time before the 2016 election to build up anger over having their jobs taken and their wages depressed by a huge glut of new eager hungry and willing to work harder for less workers.

GOP already winning more Hispanics - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 04:26 PM
 
31,707 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8454
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, the Hispanic vote is trending the other way... to the GOP. Their main concern is the economy. Obama's dumping millions more newly minted work permit-enabled illegals into their labor market will harm them, not help them. Dumb move, IMHO. Hispanics will have 2 years of time before the 2016 election to build up anger over having their jobs taken and their wages depressed by a huge glut of new eager hungry and willing to work harder for less workers.

GOP already winning more Hispanics - The Washington Post
Nope, the rational thinking ones perhaps but there are still far too many that are pro-amnesty and I have already stated the reasons why in another post. As I said, the loss of jobs doesn't affect Hispanics near as much as it does whites and blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 04:32 PM
 
62,576 posts, read 27,831,811 times
Reputation: 7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nope, the rational thinking ones perhaps but there are still far too many that are pro-amnesty and I have already stated the reasons why in another post. As I said, the loss of jobs doesn't affect Hispanics near as much as it does whites and blacks.
Then why are their votes trending more towards the GOP?
Quote:
"In the national vote for the House, Republicans got 36 percent of the Hispanic vote, up from the 27 percent Mitt Romney got in 2012. Republicans did even better among Hispanic male voters (41 percent). In the midterms, the Hispanic vote (8 percent of the electorate) was about what it was in 2012 (10 percent). Moreover, like every other group, Hispanics rank the economy as most important and put immigration much further down the list. Pew observes, “About half (49%) of Latino voters called [the economy] the most important issue facing the country, according to the national exit poll. Health care (24%) and illegal immigration (16%) followed.”
GOP already winning more Hispanics - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 04:51 PM
 
31,707 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8454
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then why are their votes trending more towards the GOP?
GOP already winning more Hispanics - The Washington Post
As I said, the more rational ones may be but those who desire amnesty which makes up the majority are not going to vote GOP because of their anti-amnesty stance. Those who have ties to south of our border or have illegal alien relatives/friends here are not going to support the GOP. You do know that the majority of Latinos in this country have ancestoral roots in Mexico, don't you? I also think that the poor and lower class ones will remain Democrats because of the socialism of the Democrat party.

Did you notice that your article called anti-amnesty GOPers the "anti-immigration right"? Tells you right there how honest they are.

Ah, and there is this little tell-all in the article that I have ben stating all along that just proves my case.

"In sum, when Republicans don’t antagonize voters with talk about “self-deportation,” strong GOP candidates can get a substantial chunk of the Hispanic vote".

I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 05:21 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,304,644 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As I said, the more rational ones may be but those who desire amnesty which makes up the majority are not going to vote GOP because of their anti-amnesty stance. Those who have ties to south of our border or have illegal alien relatives/friends here are not going to support the GOP. You do know that the majority of Latinos in this country have ancestoral roots in Mexico, don't you? I also think that the poor and lower class ones will remain Democrats because of the socialism of the Democrat party.

Did you notice that your article called anti-amnesty GOPers the "anti-immigration right"? Tells you right there how honest they are.

Ah, and there is this little tell-all in the article that I have ben stating all along that just proves my case.

"In sum, when Republicans don’t antagonize voters with talk about “self-deportation,” strong GOP candidates can get a substantial chunk of the Hispanic vote".

I rest my case.

Hate to say your right but you are. We have a lot of good friends, of course a lot of good Hispanic friends In the mix.

Those who are very successful and more Americanized, I would say, do not want any part of Amnesty in any way and they make themselves clear, beyond a doubt.

Then we know of the other side of the coin, who still have ties to the border, and illegal family members living out here, and staunch believers in granting Amnesty and believe it is owed to them, oh yes, I have heard it for myself. All the money they make is sent to realitives in Mexico. With a lot of goods they get here on sale, all go back to Mexico. Your right and thanks for the truth, most poor and lower class ones, will most likely remain Democrats for life, I do not see this changing. Hate to put it this way, but the more successful ones we know, who own businesses, and live in beautiful areas, are more Americanized, are totally different, and why should I lie. Although I have to say, we do know some middle class friends, who in the last year, have had enough of Democrat Antics. And yes will not be voting Democrat. But it would take a lot for the lower class people to change. It is what it is, and nothing will change this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top