U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:59 PM

539 posts, read 546,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When I started this post I was hoping to get evidence for the positives of amnesty but as I suspected there isn't much and most people feel that amnesty will do nothing but hurt America and its legal citizens of all colours.

One comment was that the North East doesn't see or have a real problem with illegals which is so not true. We might not have as many as border states do but we have our share that break the laws and commit crimes. What is worse is our liberal state gov. often view the illegal lawbreakers as people without a choice and incapable of making good decisions so they get state aide. We had one guy that killed a person in an auto crash and his lawyer through an interpreter argued that the illegal who was from a South american indian tribe lacked the enzyme to process the alcohol?? Seriously.
As a result of this our Massachusetts legislatures would like to give a provisional drivers license to illegals. ??? Seriously..
The positives of giving amnesty to millions is having more legal workers contributing taxes. More people paying into Obamacare. More people voting Democrat. That is the plan but since when did a Gov plan workout? The negatives far out weigh the positives and the American citizenry understands this but our President seems to have no clue or flat out does not care about the middle and lower class folks who will be buried by the stroke of his Executive Order poisoned pen.
This is mostly playing devil's advocate.

Positive: More paid in taxes - possibly, but only for those currently working under the table because they can't find a proper job. This would only affect income taxes; sales and other local taxes are being paid already. I have no idea what the numbers would be. Illegals can also file taxes with a tax payer ID number already, as well, so I don't know how much amnesty would change anything.

Positive: Fewer on welfare - again, possibly if the jobs they have aren't paying enough (and the employers are deliberately paying them less because of their illegal status). Also, there's families with head of households who have been deported, but that would only be a positive if they were undeported and given their jobs back, and I don't know if that would be covered under amnesty.

Positive: Safer drivers due to driver's licenses - a lot of states are doing this anyway, regardless of immigration status. I honestly don't know what the stats are on this, where it's been implemented already, if driving has become safer or not.

What happened after the amnesty in the 1980s? What was the debate about then? Has anyone tracked the "positives" from the 1980s amnesty? Since we're at this point all over again, with illegal immigration causing problems socially and economically (and causing tensions politically and environmentally and culturally), I'm not sure any of the positives actually panned out. (The borders being so porous that any benefit of amnesty is quickly neutralized by the influx of new illegal immigrants, and it all begins again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM

11,622 posts, read 5,592,272 times
More paid in taxes---not really. Most would make so little that what ever got taken out of their paychecks, they would get it all back upon filing their returns.

Don't kid yourself by thinking that illegals aren't getting "proper jobs". They are doing so either by engaging in ID theft or using a fake SSN. When that fake SSN belongs to a living person, it is just as bad as ID theft. In other words it makes the victims' lives pure hell.

Fewer on welfare---probably not. Again, if they are low income earners (which in all likelihood they would be as most are functionally illiterate) their anchor babies would be eligible for WIC and other programs.

I think you're right---there were no positives that came out of the 1986 amnesty --- or any of the other stealth amnesties that have since occurred. If anything, each amnesty has proven to be a nightmare as they only attract more illegal immigration.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Yac

5,884 posts, read 6,321,322 times
As the thread continues, I have to remind some of you that this is not a race forum. Race is not an immigration issue - illegals come in all shapes, sizes and colors. If your main concern here is how the racial make up of the country will change, I've got news for you - you might not be against immigration, you might simply be racist. Now back on topic, which has nothing to do with race.
Yac.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:57 PM

44,832 posts, read 43,411,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
One of the problems is that most coming here illegally are from one ethnic group. Do you want to have to learn and speak Spanish or have our culture transformed because at some point their numbers are larger than the non-Hispanic white and black population in this country? No one has said that they don't want Hispanics coming here "legally" so you are grasping at straws now. I would like to see our immigration numbers be more diversified though like it used to be.
Listen, if the current immigration policies against illegal immigration were enforced, we wouldn't even need to talk about this.

Thing is, anyone can come here. The question is this. Why aren't more people from other ethnic groups coming?

And there is one person already who has admitted to not wanting non-White foreigners coming here. I'm trying to keep this about illegal immigration, and that alone.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM

44,832 posts, read 43,411,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You keep switching from legal to illegal. Why is that? You say deport the illegals but the ones who obey our laws, leave them alone. Who's bothering those here legally? I have already given you a reason to be concerned about the change in our demographics when those coming here illegally are mostly from one ethnic group. At least if the illegal alien population were more diversified they would be assimilating better and we would still be able to retain our identifying culture and English as our national language but they all still need to go home regardless of who they are. Forgive me if I am wrong but I get the feeling that you actually like the idea of the non-Hispanic white population in this country no longer being the majority via illegal immigration.
I was responding to someone who has admitted to not wanting non-White foreigners here. I was responding in that context.

Truth is this. If this is truly about illegal immigration, we would discuss that, and that alone, not ethnic groups. Deport illegals, and other things can solve themselves.

And I have never once said I wanted to see the White non-Hispanic population to no longer be in the majority. I am saying ethnicity is not of importance to me. I only care that whoever comes here will come here legally, will obey the laws, and will not try to enforce certain things into the government. In fact, I have even said on several occasions I am against illegal immigration.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:18 PM

32,029 posts, read 14,790,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Listen, if the current immigration policies against illegal immigration were enforced, we wouldn't even need to talk about this.

Thing is, anyone can come here. The question is this. Why aren't more people from other ethnic groups coming?

And there is one person already who has admitted to not wanting non-White foreigners coming here. I'm trying to keep this about illegal immigration, and that alone.
By other ethnic groups are you referring to legally or illegally? I believe in both cases it is because of our close proximity to the Mexican border that we get mainly Latinos. Many come here legally under family reunification catagories. Mexico and other countries south of our border have a large populous of uneducated, unskilled and poor so they mostly come here illegally. Either way it is taking away from diversity in our country and altering our culture, demographics and national language. We should entice immigrants from other ethnic groups to come here when needed so that the above doesn't occur. I couldn't care less what the color of their skin or race is. Diversity in ethnicity (not race) encourages assimilation the opposite encourages colonization. I keep trying to explain that to you but for some reason I can't seem to make you understand what I am getting at.

Last edited by Oldglory; 11-17-2014 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or