U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,868,944 times

Advertisements

"Isn't using medications prescribed to others against the law? Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you have valid reasons. That is all I am saying. Many people are trying to make this a clearcut black and white situation, and it is definitely not. I believe when laws are unjust, we should do everything in our power to fight them. Look at the Civil Rights movement. They broke the racist laws of the time to achieve equality. What about the Women's movement? Were any of those instances of disobeying the laws of their time justified?"

Oh, good! I was anticipating that you would cast me as a law-breaker along with the illegals for getting medications from other countries! So glad you didn't disappoint! First off, I ordered the meds with my prescription through a Canadian service and had them sent to me. Secondly, I also had a prescription for the meds my English friend sent but couldn't afford to fill it myself. In every case, the packaging clearly stated the drugs on the Customs declaration label -- we weren't hiding a thing and were being upfront, realizing that Customs could very well seize the packages if the officials decided we were doing something wrong.

Indeed, when I lived on the Border, I often went to Mexico for my medications and when I went through the checkpoint at the international bridge, I declared the meds and showed them to the Customs officials. Not once did I have a problem. There is apparently a rule that permits one to import medications for personal use.

But, in your mind, I should have gone to live illegally in England, instead of trying to survive here? That is really, really twisted.

Pray tell, exactly which laws did the Civil Rights movement break? And the Women's Movement? They peacefully protested and lobbied their elected officials. That's not against the law. But, of course, the big problem with your "argument" is that you are comparing the right of CITIZENS to redress grievances and protest to illegal immigrants sneaking into this country and demanding "rights" while having no legal standing here.

Your comparison of female and black CITIZENS to illegal immigrants is highly offensive to me as a woman. And you have some nerve comparing the descendants of slaves who were forcibly and brutally taken from their homeland to illegals who knowingly and arrogantly disregard our laws to slip into this country and take from it.

You need to go down to Laredo and live there for at least two years. Tell the Hispanics who are here legally that you think the illegals have the right to come in without any sort of hindrance and receive social services, too. Do it -- I dare you.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Wrong, wrong, oh so wrong.

Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The largest number of legal immigrants come from Mexico; 175,900 per year, average, 2000-2007.

Only one Western European country is represented in the top ten; Ireland. Of the remaining eight, four are in the Americas, four in Asia (including the Philippines).
THANK YOU for posting this! I had seen the quotas reported on a news show and knew he was totally wrong but I didn't have time to look it up. Well done!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynchapin View Post
Let's just put blinders on and stick to irrational gut level emotion.
You owe me a new irony meter.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Just wondering if it's OK to be "racist". That is, can someone not like another's culture and not be called "racist"?

If we don't like the Mexican culture that we see coming to our country, mostly in the Southwest, does that mean we're racist, or just opinionated? I'm sure lots of folks don't like OUR culture - like the Islamic terrorists.

I just don't think that it's necessarily an awful thing to be "racist" - I think what it really means is that you don't like the culture of the particular group, not individual people.

Most of us like individuals as we meet them, work with them, become friends with them - doesn't much matter what their background is. I think what we really mean with "racist" has more to do with culture that we don't agree with, sometimes for good reason.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,061,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Just wondering if it's OK to be "racist". That is, can someone not like another's culture and not be called "racist"?

If we don't like the Mexican culture that we see coming to our country, mostly in the Southwest, does that mean we're racist, or just opinionated? I'm sure lots of folks don't like OUR culture - like the Islamic terrorists.

I just don't think that it's necessarily an awful thing to be "racist" - I think what it really means is that you don't like the culture of the particular group, not individual people.

Most of us like individuals as we meet them, work with them, become friends with them - doesn't much matter what their background is. I think what we really mean with "racist" has more to do with culture that we don't agree with, sometimes for good reason.
There's another definition of "racist" that you're overlooking:

racist, n.; one who opposes illegal immigration.

/sarcasm

Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
"Isn't using medications prescribed to others against the law? Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you have valid reasons. That is all I am saying. Many people are trying to make this a clearcut black and white situation, and it is definitely not. I believe when laws are unjust, we should do everything in our power to fight them. Look at the Civil Rights movement. They broke the racist laws of the time to achieve equality. What about the Women's movement? Were any of those instances of disobeying the laws of their time justified?"

Oh, good! I was anticipating that you would cast me as a law-breaker along with the illegals for getting medications from other countries! So glad you didn't disappoint! First off, I ordered the meds with my prescription through a Canadian service and had them sent to me. Secondly, I also had a prescription for the meds my English friend sent but couldn't afford to fill it myself. In every case, the packaging clearly stated the drugs on the Customs declaration label -- we weren't hiding a thing and were being upfront, realizing that Customs could very well seize the packages if the officials decided we were doing something wrong.

Indeed, when I lived on the Border, I often went to Mexico for my medications and when I went through the checkpoint at the international bridge, I declared the meds and showed them to the Customs officials. Not once did I have a problem. There is apparently a rule that permits one to import medications for personal use.

But, in your mind, I should have gone to live illegally in England, instead of trying to survive here? That is really, really twisted.

Pray tell, exactly which laws did the Civil Rights movement break? And the Women's Movement? They peacefully protested and lobbied their elected officials. That's not against the law. But, of course, the big problem with your "argument" is that you are comparing the right of CITIZENS to redress grievances and protest to illegal immigrants sneaking into this country and demanding "rights" while having no legal standing here.

Your comparison of female and black CITIZENS to illegal immigrants is highly offensive to me as a woman. And you have some nerve comparing the descendants of slaves who were forcibly and brutally taken from their homeland to illegals who knowingly and arrogantly disregard our laws to slip into this country and take from it.

You need to go down to Laredo and live there for at least two years. Tell the Hispanics who are here legally that you think the illegals have the right to come in without any sort of hindrance and receive social services, too. Do it -- I dare you.
No more rep points for you (till the 24 hour limit of one per poster expires )

All kidding aside; your reply was direct and to the point

Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 PM

138 posts, read 471,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Wrong, wrong, oh so wrong.

Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The largest number of legal immigrants come from Mexico; 175,900 per year, average, 2000-2007.

Only one Western European country is represented in the top ten; Ireland. Of the remaining eight, four are in the Americas, four in Asia (including the Philippines).
I never said that there were more European immigrants. I said priority was given. Compare waiting lists for immigration to the U.S. from Western Europe as opposed to Mexico.

And I know you don't like me to bring in history, but I thought the following graph was incredibly interesting. It comes from the following website:

US Immigration as Percent of Population - 1820-2004 From US Politics at About.com

Old 01-03-2008, 12:49 PM

206 posts, read 365,812 times
The supposed "educational article" is written as an editorial piece. In fact, if it's not an editorial, the fact that the author openly promotes a particular course of action on immigration detracts from the impartiality that real news articles are supposed to have. If anything, it only tells us that the (some of) the Wall Street Journal staff have anti-enforcement sentiments.

There are numerous other sources and stats that paint a different picture about immigration. And, if you're interested in seeing how your state might be affected by illegal immigration, you start with this link: FAIR: : Immigration in Your Backyard Index

But, most Americans (and certainly most pro-enforcement people) already feel the impact of illegal immigration first-hand. They don't need someone from any newspaper to tell them whether or not it's a good idea to absorb another country's poor uneducated masses--some of whom are criminals.

When winter break is over, ask one of your professors how to distinguish a genuine news article from an opinion piece.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM

LOL, thanks, ArizonaBear!

It just burns my bottom when people like this try to make illegal immigrants into American civil rights martyrs! It's a slap in the face to our own people who are working for real equality. We still have a way to go in ensuring equal opportunity for all AMERICANS; the illegals have NO RIGHT to try to ride on the coattails of the civil rights movement. Even Cesar Chavez himself was AGAINST illegal immigration because it undermined the progress he was trying to make for the legal farmworkers.

Let the illegals fight for their rights in their own countries.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:58 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
The supposed "educational article" is written as an editorial piece. In fact, if it's not an editorial, the fact that the author openly promotes a particular course of action on immigration detracts from the impartiality that real news articles are supposed to have. If anything, it only tells us that the (some of) the Wall Street Journal staff have anti-enforcement sentiments.

There are numerous other sources and stats that paint a different picture about immigration. And, if you're interested in seeing how your state might be affected by illegal immigration, you start with this link:FAIR: : Immigration in Your Backyard Index

But, most Americans (and certainly most pro-enforcement people) already feel the impact of illegal immigration first-hand. They don't need someone from any newspaper to tell them whether or not it's a good idea to absorb another country's poor uneducated masses--some of whom are criminals.

When winter break is over, ask one of your professors how to distinguish a genuine news article from an opinion piece.
You want to tell me fair is not incredibly biased?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or