U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Really? the hardliners on immigration didn't fare to well even in conservative republican primary in iowa. Mcain beat hunter, thompson and ron paul.
Which evidently means little.

Our Democrat governor, Janet Napolitano, signed the Employer Sanctions Law------which went into effect 2 days ago

The Dems are facing the choice of either pissing off the Blacks or the Hispanics------let alone many self described Bleeding Hearts who have gone hardcore anti illegal immigration.

Methinks it will be the illegal immigration supporters who will be jettisoned if push came to shove.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,801,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Which evidently means little.

Our Democrat governor, Janet Napolitano, signed the Employer Sanctions Law------which went into effect 2 days ago

The Dems are facing the choice of either pissing off the Blacks or the Hispanics------let alone many self described Bleeding Hearts who have gone hardcore anti illegal immigration.

Methinks it will be the illegal immigration supporters who will be jettisoned if push came to shove.
There is now way in Hell the republicans can win any minority vote, be it black, hispanic, asian etc. I find it very hard to believe a hardcore liberal will vote republican because of a dem's stand on immigration. I can't just imagine them voting for a candidate who wants to stay in iraq, pro-life, etc. Then they are not true liberals in the first place. Let's just say we won the battle today in iowa

Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,720,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynchapin View Post
I think you might be generalizing somewhat about undocumented immigrants. Most do try to learn English, but it is really difficult as an adult, especially if you are working all day and don't have time to do it. In most places I have been ESL classes are booked solid. I have been trying to learn French for a really long time with very limited success. I have paid for various classes but can't seem to get the hang of it.

As to waving the flag around, most undocumented immigrants would never do that for fear of bringing attention to themselves. You are playing on images from the protest rallies which hada very specific context. HR4437 was being considered in the Senate after already having passed in the House, which would have turned every undocumented person in this country into a felon overnight. Many believed they had to march to show their opposition to what they viewed as a cruel and mean-spirited law. They probably should not have waved Mexican flags or flags from any other country. But mixed in with those pictures are many US flags as well. The message was supposed to be unity. Also, those marching were not only undocumented immigrants, but also legal residents and US citizens.

Now I am sure that there are undocumented immigrants who fit every stereotype, as criminals and as deadbeats. And there are also really hard workers and nice people that any of us could get along with if we got to know them. I for one feel extremely lucky to not have been born into a situation that forced me to make the kind of decision that undocumented immigrants have had to make. To leave their homes, to live in the shadows, to fear deportation or worse every day. I know it was their decision to come over here, but it just makes me wonder ehat the circumstance must have been like to make that choice.
These 'really hard workers' and 'nice people' need to go home and straighten out Mexico. The corrupt Mexican government is the main reason they head for El Norte. And as long as millions and millions can continue to come to the US illegally and live here, nothing is ever going to change. Instead of making demands of the US, they need to return to Mexico and make some demands of their own government. It is interesting the way people such as yourself heap scorn on anyone who opposes illegal immigration yet never say anything about the rulers and Mexican oligarchy who are the root cause of why the illegals leave in the first place.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
These 'really hard workers' and 'nice people' need to go home and straighten out Mexico. The corrupt Mexican government is the main reason they head for El Norte. And as long as millions and millions can continue to come to the US illegally and live here, nothing is ever going to change. Instead of making demands of the US, they need to return to Mexico and make some demands of their own government. It is interesting the way people such as yourself heap scorn on anyone who opposes illegal immigration yet never say anything about the rulers and Mexican oligarchy who are the root cause of why the illegals leave in the first place.
You have noticed that as well?

Not that it really matters much anymore what the pro illegal crowd thinks.

As well all know; flying those Mexican flags 2 years ago at the illegal immigrants 'rights' marches was a textbook example of stupidity-----all it really did was to wake up a sleeping giant.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,877,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
San Diego, been there many times, right across from the border, very low crime even in the "rough" parts like National City. El Paso, actually first time I went there, I was expecting to find a craphole filled with crime and murder, it is a very safe city, actually much safer than Dallas or Houston. When I lived in the Phoenix area, car theft was high but I find it hard to believe that illegals were doing that, usually, the incentive for car thieves in Phoenix is being able to enter Mexico, drop it off and return to Phoenix to do it again. Illegals are unable to enter Mexico and return to the USA. Apparently, you have not read the article.
Ice says they are working, every day all day, to arrest illegals in So. Ca. to stop the crime, un-ending fight! One out of 4 of them have past criminal records, and crime has soared here even in the good areas like where I live...it's so evident in appalling behaviours you see in public, and newspaper, so I looked up violent law enforcement records by the week, it's darn scary.
We want things safe again, we want financial/jobs bacl, we want medical care like it used to be before they came here, etc. We want our country back.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
WOW, first of all that article is in 2005 and on Democracy Now, Lou Dobbs referred to Dr. Cosman as a whack job. Do you know Dr. cosman is not a real medical doctor?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMY GOODMAN: That’s Lou Dobbs on the show. The source behind the claim that there was a spike of 7,000 new cases of leprosy was a controversial medical attorney named Madeleine Cosman. In 2005, she described undocumented immigrants as “deadly time bombs, because of the diseases they bring into the country.” Cosman, who died last year, has also been criticized for these comments she made about Mexican men.
MADELEINE COSMAN: Recognize that most of these bastards molest girls under age twelve, some as young as age five, others age three. Although, of course, some specialize in boys, some specialize in nuns, some are exceedingly versatile and rape little girls age eleven and women up to age seventy-nine.
What is important here is the psychiatric defenses: Why do they do what they do? They do not need a jail; they need a hospital. They are depraved because they were deprived in their home country. But more important is the cultural defense: they suffer from psychiatric cognitive disjuncture, for what does a poor man do if in his home country of Mexico in his jurisdiction if rape is ranked lower than cow stealing? Of course, he will not know how to behave here in strange America. This is thoroughly reprehensible.

AMY GOODMAN: Madeleine Cosman, that’s her quote. She actually is not a medical doctor. She’s a Renaissance author and scholar of sorts. Lou Dobbs?
LOU DOBBS: What would you have me say, Amy? Because what—the reality is what you don’t say, is that Leonhardt’s piece was filled with errors. Secondly, Madeleine Cosman, as we learned following that report in Physicians and Surgeons, the publication, is precisely what you styled her: she is a wack—or was a wackjob. But the New York Times didn’t know that, either. If you would read the obituary for Madeleine Cosman in the New York Times—have you done that, by the way? She died a year ago, which was, by the way, a year after we had used her as a source in a report, along with other people. Did you read that obituary? Did you find that the New York Times had come to basically the same conclusion we had, that she was a credible source? Because if you read that obituary, it is glowing and filled with plaudits for Madeleine Cosman. And s

ALIPAC.net - American-Latino Immigrants Proudly Assisting the Community - Fact-Checking Dobbs: CNN Anchor Lou Dobbs Challenged on Immigration Issues (http://www.alipac.net/diary/content/view/177/2/ - broken link)

Your article is trash because the person who wrote it wasn't even a medical doctor.
Tragically, many have been victims of these crimes or similar, even repeatedly over decades, and see the truth in this article, in spite of the person not being a doctor, and you cannot argue with the truth. Cannot you see that you violate victims once again with your posts you wish to be true, but are clearly not.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
besides that, the cosman character who wrote that article was not even a medical doctor. Even lou dobbs called her a wack job . Her claim about 7,000 leprosy cases in the last 3 years is a lie. Cbs did a report and discovered the truth about how many cases we had.

LESLEY STAHL: We checked that and found a report issued by the US Department of Health and Human Services saying 7,000 is the number of leprosy cases over the last thirty years, not the past three, and nobody knows how many of those cases involve illegal immigrants
Illegals have infected millions in CA with TB over the years, it reached a peak in CA in 2003 or so, and now is a bit better. Illegals would not have others pick up TB meds as ordered but did it themselves. Many millions are infected with TB but most do not know it, but some have the disease itself. If you've been around illegals in public in CA who may have had bad coughs you could be infected which means you test positive for TB. Closer contact results in TB disease.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
Why does the anti-enforcement crowd insist on the pretense that the circumstances surrounding the legal immigration that took place a century ago are the same as onslaught of illegal immigration happening now? Or, that policies that may have been appropriate during a former period in history are necessarily appropriate now?

Average Americans are the ones who are suffering. If, after reading all our posts, you do not understand our tribulations, then perhaps you are the heartless one.
An excellent truth of the American situation.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
"Isn't using medications prescribed to others against the law? Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you have valid reasons. That is all I am saying. Many people are trying to make this a clearcut black and white situation, and it is definitely not. I believe when laws are unjust, we should do everything in our power to fight them. Look at the Civil Rights movement. They broke the racist laws of the time to achieve equality. What about the Women's movement? Were any of those instances of disobeying the laws of their time justified?"

Oh, good! I was anticipating that you would cast me as a law-breaker along with the illegals for getting medications from other countries! So glad you didn't disappoint! First off, I ordered the meds with my prescription through a Canadian service and had them sent to me. Secondly, I also had a prescription for the meds my English friend sent but couldn't afford to fill it myself. In every case, the packaging clearly stated the drugs on the Customs declaration label -- we weren't hiding a thing and were being upfront, realizing that Customs could very well seize the packages if the officials decided we were doing something wrong.

Indeed, when I lived on the Border, I often went to Mexico for my medications and when I went through the checkpoint at the international bridge, I declared the meds and showed them to the Customs officials. Not once did I have a problem. There is apparently a rule that permits one to import medications for personal use.

But, in your mind, I should have gone to live illegally in England, instead of trying to survive here? That is really, really twisted.

Pray tell, exactly which laws did the Civil Rights movement break? And the Women's Movement? They peacefully protested and lobbied their elected officials. That's not against the law. But, of course, the big problem with your "argument" is that you are comparing the right of CITIZENS to redress grievances and protest to illegal immigrants sneaking into this country and demanding "rights" while having no legal standing here.

Your comparison of female and black CITIZENS to illegal immigrants is highly offensive to me as a woman. And you have some nerve comparing the descendants of slaves who were forcibly and brutally taken from their homeland to illegals who knowingly and arrogantly disregard our laws to slip into this country and take from it.

You need to go down to Laredo and live there for at least two years. Tell the Hispanics who are here legally that you think the illegals have the right to come in without any sort of hindrance and receive social services, too. Do it -- I dare you.
Law allows certain drug classes of importation for personal use without prescription; doctor's name/address required. I have serious condition and had good care in top medical center in L.A., but this free care was cut off in '94 due to all the illegals. Have been getting meds overseas ever since.

Illegals are not in a state of life and death, they come here able bodied, not in starvation or malnutrition. They come to get free services and work, and some running from the law.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,972,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
A head's up to the pro-enforcement crowd:

The previous poster provides us with a glimpse of the intelligence, tolerance, and overall charm of future generations in this country if we don't do something to stop the invasion.

Yeah, charming, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or