U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 45,399 times

Advertisements

Illegals might not be good additions to our american society, but seems to me they are good additions to cleaning our backyards, work on contructions (go and check out all those illegals working on all those buildings, new condos , etc), and they are here doing the jobs most americans dont like to do. In the other hand we have the black community complaining cause they are taking theirs jobs at MCdonals! wow..

I think illegal immigration is very complicated subject, hard to find a good answer, yet necessary for country.... cant be overwhelming but at the end we dont want it, but we support it , sometimes even without realizing it.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 AM

902 posts, read 507,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlBo View Post
Illegals might not be good additions to our american society, but seems to me they are good additions to cleaning our backyards, work on contructions (go and check out all those illegals working on all those buildings, new condos , etc), and they are here doing the jobs most americans dont like to do. In the other hand we have the black community complaining cause they are taking theirs jobs at MCdonals! wow..

I think illegal immigration is very complicated subject, hard to find a good answer, yet necessary for country.... cant be overwhelming but at the end we dont want it, but we support it , sometimes even without realizing it.
They are not here doing the jobs Americans don't like to do. That is nothing but a myth. They are doing jobs for money that no American can live on. That would be the difference and they do the jobs terribly on top of it all. They have terrible work ethics and really have no intention, and don't for the most part, care about the sanitation level of their work at all or themselves.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,924,995 times
Americans don't like/won't to do construction work??? ARE YOU KIDDING!

The more illegals take American jobs... the more wages will decline...

The more illegals that are permitted to be here... the more you will pay by way of welfare, healthcare, and education...

Would you rather feed an American.. or an illegal?
it's that simple.. There is NOT enough jobs for the millions of illegals who sneak over each and every year.. there NEVER will be! They will just keep coming and coming.. Already gave amnesty to millions.. now 20 million more want amnesty.. then there will be another 20 million behind them! Legal immigration is the ONLY way to go... Amnesty is not a legal process, it's a sell-out against the American people who have worked very hard for many years.

My father had been a building contractor for over 40 years.. NOT ONCE did he need to look elsewhere for other than American workers.. NOT that he ever would have to begin with! He would have..sooner closed a project down before EVER hiring an UNSKILLED ILLEGAL!

There is NO shortage of SKILLED AMERICANS who are MORE than willing to work hard in the construction field... but they need to make a decent wage to feed thier family, pay mortgage and so-on... Thousands of mexicans, central and south american illegals don't have a clue on how to build a home or building structure.. The job boss says do this.. they go do it.. NOT really knowing how or why. But the MAIN issue and point is.. they are illegally here, stealing jobs from REAL Americans and cutting wages, and the QUALITY in the construction field.

And thousands of illegals WHO CLAIM to be legal .. are showing forged, or copied documents! So you wouldn't really know IF you are actually hiring someone who says they are legal! Getting our borders closed and keeping them secure is the first step. Deporting undocumented illegals as time goes on is the next step. And illegal mothers sneaking over just to give birth so the child is an automatic citizen needs to be changed as well! they know if they sneak across and don't gey caught BEFORE giving birth.. they won't get deported because thier child is now an automatic U.S. citizen. It would GREATLY reduce the numbers all on thier own if.. this law was changed. meaning you would have to be a LEGAL U.S. citizen to begin with.. if not, your child would be a citizen of your country of origin where you hold legal citizenship,,, and NOT become an automatic U.S. citizen JUST because you chose to sneak across the border to give birth! if this law was changed.. they wouldn't bother with sneaking over here in the first place...

Just making these two major issues a federal nation-wide law.. NO automatic citizenship, and NO hiring of illegals.. NATION-WIDE... would GREATLY reduce the thousands of illegals who sneak into OUR country everyday!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,831,384 times
Quote:

It is indeed a fact that illegals are now dominating industries such as landscaping, construction, hospitality, and fast food restaurants. It is also a fact that all said industries were comprised of legal citizens prior to the influx of cheap illegal labor. None are jobs Americans ‘won’t do’ ---- this is a flagrant lie perpetrated by the greedy corporate masters, and the truckling politicians they control.

This disgraceful practice will only continue as major corporations amass fortunes --- compliments of an illegal workforce eagerly willing to work for wages substantially below market; and unsustainable for the vast majority of legal citizens. Most Americans are not accustomed to living 15-20 per single-family home or 2-bedroom apartment. That is NOT the American way; and it most definitely is not a component of the American Dream.

Undoubtedly, many illegals are ‘decent’ people. As such, it would be a grave moral conflict to actually realize and acknowledge they are indeed taking food out of the mouths of children in this country, by drastically limiting the employment options of U.S. citizens. Most ‘decent’ people would consider this egregious and egocentric behavior --- absolutely unconscionable.

Your flippant attitude and mockery of the plight of the ‘black community’, is a glaring indication of your total lack of compassion for anyone NOT an illegal alien; or perhaps your bigotry toward this particular segment of society.

Are you suggesting black people have no right to be employed by ‘MCdonals’ or similar employers? BTW, I will assume this (MDdonals) was an inadvertent typo, and not an intentional act of denigration. All legal citizens of this country are not college-educated, nor do they all possess marketable skills. Some MUST seek low-skilled employment. Should these individuals simply subserviently ‘step aside’ to accommodate illegal invaders?

The trucking industry is next on the list of ‘jobs Americans won’t do’ --- if our current government has its druthers, and continues to permit unfettered access to our country by Mexican truckers whose rates are substantially lower. Watch out! --- YOUR industry could be next --- assuming you are an employed U.S. citizen; and not an illegal alien.

Your inclusion of construction on your ‘jobs Americans won’t do’ list, is so utterly ridiculous, it defies all semblance of logic.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:11 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,970,704 times
Quote:

The blacks have a right to complain, as American citizens, they should be hired FIRST - wherever! It's true that in some places, blacks are being replaced by illegals who can take a lower wage (since there are no laws protecting them).

We're ALL complaining because there are NO jobs Americans won't do! But, if they hire US, they have to pay at least minimum wage, and companies want that money in their pockets instead. You think our goods are lower cost because of the use of illegals? No, it's just that the companies have higher profits - if they had to pay a decent wage, they would try to increase prices, saying that they "had" to, but they don't.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
The blacks have a right to complain, as American citizens, they should be hired FIRST - wherever! It's true that in some places, blacks are being replaced by illegals who can take a lower wage (since there are no laws protecting them).

We're ALL complaining because there are NO jobs Americans won't do! But, if they hire US, they have to pay at least minimum wage, and companies want that money in their pockets instead. You think our goods are lower cost because of the use of illegals? No, it's just that the companies have higher profits - if they had to pay a decent wage, they would try to increase prices, saying that they "had" to, but they don't.
As I have commented on in the past: what lingering Black-White animosity left will likely go by the wayside due to our common enemy------------illegal immigrants.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM

16,753 posts, read 18,962,878 times
Let me get this straight... ANY illegal crime is okay as long as there is only a little bit? Are you stupid? No illegal immigrant = no illegal immigrant crime... Give me no illegal immigrant crime instead of a little bit of illegal immigrant crime... Let me get this straight again... unemployment is low even though illegals are filling up these jobs with LOW SALARY... so if we didn't have them then big corporations will have to pay a BIGGER SALARY and have ZERO PERCENT unemployment? So you are telling me TWO NEGATIVES is a good thing... do you really think I am that stupid?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:20 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,630,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The trucking industry is next on the list of ‘jobs Americans won’t do’ --- if our current government has its druthers, and continues to permit unfettered access to our country by Mexican truckers whose rates are substantially lower. Watch out! --- YOUR industry could be next --- assuming you are an employed U.S. citizen; and not an illegal alien.

Your inclusion of construction on your ‘jobs Americans won’t do’ list, is so utterly ridiculous, it defies all semblance of logic.
Good point--- If one was willing to sound absolutely cynical, it wouldn't be too big a stretch to see how ANY job could become 'undesirable'....simply make conditions harsher, take away the traditional protections, raise the length of the normal workday, re-designate a few 'job descriptions', add a few extra duties, and shave off a little pay, and PRESTO !....you've changed a GOOD job (like trucking) into a job "Americans won't do"---so you'll HAVE to staff it with people who WILL....because you can't "find" qualified Americans (pretty neat)..
Many years ago, I was a Merchant Seaman--a job, unfortunately, in an industry that was singularly "offshorable" (both literally and figuratively)...Unhappy with those pesty US Coast Guard regulations?---onerous American safety regs, crew qualifications, working conditions, staffing requirements, exhorbitant American pay rates? Want to get around these? Simple--just take the registration papers of your vessel(s)--and move your "Port of Registry" from San Francisco or Seattle to Monrovia (Liberia)--or to Panama..PRESTO...your ship is now free to travel its same route(s)--but you can staff it, and run it, as you wish. Crew it with 19-year old Indonesians or Filipinos--hire a Master or a Mate from Italy or Taiwan, and you're 'set'. Watch the savings roll in.
As a result, America has VERY LITTLE Merchant Fleet left. Might not seem important NOW--but in case of war or 'emergency', what guarantees would we have for ship 'capacity?' Very few, it turns out. Talk about 'foreign dependence'...it's not too different from the oil situation...

Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 22,923,360 times
As the wife of someone in the trucking industry, believe me, they're trying to do that right now.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:07 AM

233 posts, read 390,217 times
Default Construction...........

That old "jobs Americans won't do" is really getting soooooooooooooooo old. A few weeks ago we noticed some new building happening right accross the street from our house. Turns out they are building 200 duplex units..........lots of construction jobs right??? Well, our son who has lots of experience went over to apply and was told they would hire him but they are paying $8-10 an hour. Within a weeks time we now have over 200 new residents in town...........I'll let you guess where they're from. The contractor on this project is from another state and I can guarantee they will be getting top dollar for these thrown together places after seeing their labor costs drop drastically buy not hiring Americans. Our youngest son is married to a girl whose family is originally from Latin America and for each of their children they have maintained her family name to denote that ancestry (we have an Irish last name) because they have said they realize that name will insure their children will get all the education freebies available, a woman I worked with had a daughter that did the same thing, she had a child and rather than give it her last name (Smith) she choose to give the child the fathers (no longer in the picture) spanish name because it would entitle the child to everything........she wasn't wrong, the child gets free day care and every other program out there just by virtue of her last name. While I don't condone what my son or this other young lady are doing I think it is a sad state of affairs when the citizens of this country aren't the first ones with the chance to take advantage of the social programs that we the tax payers are footing the bill for. By virtue of their latino sur names they are eligible for everything that their own names take away from them. One other thing I noticed happened a few weeks ago, this same son had fallen in his yard and thought he had broken his ankle, he had his cell phone in his pocket and called me to come take him to the emergency room, thank goodness he has good insurance. As we waited for the ER Dr. to come I passed the time reading the notices on the wall, one really set me off and I tore into the Dr when he arrived, in big letters in both English and Spanish was the following. Federal law requires that this hospital treat life threatening emergencys without regard to your ability to pay or insurance coverage, if your injury is non life threatening and you do not have insurance you will be referred to another facility. If you do not speak english, you will not be asked about your ability to pay and this facility will not ask about your immigration status nor report to any agency, you will be treated at this facility for all your medical needs. Am I missing something here or am I just nuts, this seems so out of balance to me.............we routinely deny decent health care to our citizens, many of whom have gone to war for us and yet here we are giving free medical care to people who have come here illegally. I really hope this situation gets fixed, we are in a sad state of affairs in this country right now and our future is looking bleaker to me all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or