U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM

197 posts, read 231,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
What will happen to "el alcalde Joe Arpaio" Will he keep his job? And what will Los Angeles be called?....and will Antonio Villaraigosa continue to clean toilets?....
True, he has not been at the level of his anglo counterparts, he should know that doing a great job is not enough, he needs to steal, lie, cheat, be a cross dresser etc.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
Thank you for posting this artical. I myself believe that there BADLY needs to be immigration reform. It's not right they come over illegal but there needs to be a way set up to where they can come and a way to correct the situation we have of having 12 million illegals in the U.S.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM

492 posts, read 994,583 times
Study after study shows that immigrants are a huge plus to the economy. Unlike many lazy, worthless, envious folk that just can't stand to see hard working immigrants prosper. Alan Greenspan, former Federal Reserve Chairman said it best.
"There is little doubt that unauthorized, that is, illegal, immigration has made a significant contribution to the growth of our economy."

Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Study after study shows that immigrants are a huge plus to the economy. Unlike many lazy, worthless, envious folk that just can't stand to see hard working immigrants prosper. Alan Greenspan, former Federal Reserve Chairman said it best.
"There is little doubt that unauthorized, that is, illegal, immigration has made a significant contribution to the growth of our economy."
Unfortunately many of greenspans policy decisions are now being blamed for the crisis we are in.
Illegals contribute to many things. Starting with crime, unemployment of legals, ID theft, tax fraud, and of course an over all drain on social services.
Low balling wages does not mean illegals are better workers. It simply means that they will work for less. Not hard to do when they don't have to pay taxes.
Lazy worthless envious folk? Narrow minded much?

Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 PM

492 posts, read 994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Unfortunately many of greenspans policy decisions are now being blamed for the crisis we are in.
Illegals contribute to many things. Starting with crime, unemployment of legals, ID theft, tax fraud, and of course an over all drain on social services.
Low balling wages does not mean illegals are better workers. It simply means that they will work for less. Not hard to do when they don't have to pay taxes.
Lazy worthless envious folk? Narrow minded much?
Tell that to the most prestigious economists or to think tanks such as and let me know how many of them will agree with you. A few generations down the road, when these undocumented workers’ kids and grandkids will have established themselves in the United States, they will look back at their ancestors. What they will see is their hard work that helped build this country.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Legal immigration or illegal alien criminals?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Tell that to the most prestigious economists or to think tanks such as and let me know how many of them will agree with you. A few generations down the road, when these undocumented workers’ kids and grandkids will have established themselves in the United States, they will look back at their ancestors. What they will see is their hard work that helped build this country.
Just accept the fact that your arguments fall on deaf ears-------------and, if anything, prejudice is growing against illegal aliens. That would not bother me; but placing Americans/green card holders in danger by their physical resemblance to most illegals does upset/anger me. And I put the blame squarely on the illegals and their enablers.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Just accept the fact that your arguments fall on deaf ears-------------and, if anything, prejudice is growing against illegal aliens. That would not bother me; but placing Americans/green card holders in danger by their physical resemblance to most illegals does upset/anger me. And I put the blame squarely on the illegals and their enablers.

I would like to see a reference to back up the fact that "prejudice is growing against illegal aliens" normalized with population growth. This is democracy were all U.S. citizens participate, and that it's ruled by the majority vote. If what you say it's true then you shouldn't have much to worry, illegal immigrants will stay illegal, and even maybe birthright citizenship will be abolished.

But, I think you are wrong, and doubt that prejudice is growing (especially after the temporary spike due to the economic problems). Then, the children of illegal immigrants, who are just as much U.S. citizens and anyone else will soon get a voice on the deal. I wonder if they will have the same prejudice that is so commonly shared among board members of this site. I am rather sure that my youngest brother will not share it.

-Kellem

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I would like to see a reference to back up the fact that "prejudice is growing against illegal aliens" normalized with population growth. This is democracy were all U.S. citizens participate, and that it's ruled by the majority vote. If what you say it's true then you shouldn't have much to worry, illegal immigrants will stay illegal, and even maybe birthright citizenship will be abolished.

But, I think you are wrong, and doubt that prejudice is growing (especially after the temporary spike due to the economic problems). Then, the children of illegal immigrants, who are just as much U.S. citizens and anyone else will soon get a voice on the deal. I wonder if they will have the same prejudice that is so commonly shared among board members of this site. I am rather sure that my youngest brother will not share it.

-Kellem
Needless to say: birthright citizenship for Anchor Babies needs to be done away with and our immigration laws need to be based on pre 1965 regulations. Read that do away with chain migration, etc.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM

235 posts, read 251,080 times
Default how do

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Wonderful and very educative post.

how do you explain all this? could they be all lies?

Quote:
You might have to copy and paste these in browser. sorry

illegals using phony id's to collect income tax
Illegal Immigrant Tax Probe Expanding-Phony SS#'s collect tax refunds

illegals using phony id's to collect other services
I-Team: Fake IDs Easy To Get For Immigrants - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/13784640/detail.html - broken link)

Center for Immigration Studies

YouTube - From Georgia - Fraudulent ID for illegal aliens - part 1

LiveLeak.com - Mexican Drug Cartels Now Growing Marijuana In The USA

the cost of illegals
The cost of illegal immigrants to the American taxpayer | Kevin Colby: News and Political blog
California’s Illegal Aliens Cost Taxpayers Nearly $9 Billion A Year « MorganWrites
Illegal Aliens in Los Angeles County Cost Taxpayers 3 Billion Dollars Annually « An Angeleno’s View of the World

Source: The Heritage Foundation
Summary: The Heritage Foundation issued two studies in 2007 pointing out that the big problem with mass legalization is that (a) most illegal aliens are low-skilled and therefore do not earn enough money to pay enough taxes to cover the government benefits they receive; and (b), amnesty would eventually make them eligible for the full array of welfare and medical benefits offered by local, state and federal governments. They found the cost of allowing illegal aliens to remain in the United States, and eventually to become citizens, would be $3.7 trillion through the year 2056. That works out to a present cost of $1 trillion, at a 5 percent discount rate. In other words, immediately upon passage of an amnesty bill, the United States government would need to put $1 trillion into an investment earning 5 percent per year if it were honest about paying for the costs of amnesty.

$14 billion cost of attrition through enforcement option #1.

Source: Congressional Budget office Estimate for H.R. 4437.
Summary: This option is the bill H.R. 4437 sponsored by Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner that passed the House of Representatives in 2005. This bill would have been so effective in combating illegal immigration that some 1 million illegal aliens marched in cities around the United States on May 1, 2006 to protest it. The Congressional Budget Office estimated the bill would cost $1.9 billion over the 5 years 2006-2010, which we extrapolate out to the year 2056 using a linear model to account for cost increases. Then we use a discount rate of 5 percent to bring the future costs back to a single present cost figure. The resulting cost was actually $13.5 billion, which we round up to $14 billion to facilitate comparison to the other cost figures.

$177 billion cost of attrition through enforcement option #2.

Source: Congressional Budget Office Estimate for H.R. 4088.
Summary: This option is the SAVE Act (Secure America Through Verification and Enforcement Act) that was introduced in the House of Representatives in 2007. This is a strong attrition through enforcement bill. The Congressional Budget Office estimated the bill would cost $40.7 billion over the 10 years 2009-2018, which we extrapolate out to the year 2056 using a linear model to account for cost increases. Then we use a discount rate of 5 percent to bring the future costs back to a single present cost figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or