U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The "why" has been explained to you, over, and over, and over, and over, and over again - you evidently are failing to read the reasons - or, ignoring them.
Which is it?
Absolutely! This is archetypal 'cognitive dissonance' (IMHO).

Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Lukeache, I'll be kind and assume your area has little or no illegal immigration....so, perhaps to you, its only an interesting theoretical debate. It would be like a group of educated, well-informed, well-intentioned vegetarians attending a seminar on "barbecuing techniques". They'd have plenty of info, plenty of facts, but no real personal "steak" in the proceedings (get it? STEAK?)...and no real experience, only 'theory'.

Illegal immigration, if it does nothing else, promotes massive and wholesale disrespect for our system of laws, and it's particularly harmful that we now see a situation in which our political leaders and law-enforcement authorities openly and brazenly choose not to enforce laws, because they "just don't feel like it". That alone sets a tremendously harmful example, and a very dangerous precedent, particularly in a society such as ours that is FOUNDED upon law--not race, not religion, not the leaders' 'charisma', but the LAW. It's really all we have, and its credibility is being severely strained by this situation.

You can choose to believe the 'rosy', non-threatening views on this as a 'victimless crime', and I'm not trying to dissuade you of that....you have a lot of like-minded people on your side, and its a tremendous hot-button issue, one that makes it easy to bring in the 'race card', thus making it virtually impossible to have a rational discussion. But I will remind you that ANYBODY can make ANY issue sound "good" or "bad", depending on one's particular agenda. It would be entirely possible to build a strong case that smuggling cocaine into the US is "good"---it has huge financial benefits to many people--it has a huge, willing 'customer base'----and some very 'nice' people use the product. Furthermore, much of the violence associated with the cocaine trade is PROVOKED by the 'authorities'. If they'd just "mind their own business", one might say, the 'importers' could pursue their 'trade' in peace.

You might believe the above--but to me, it is incomplete. And it doesn't convince me that cocaine should be legalized....Likewise withy illegal immigration.

Last edited by macmeal; 01-02-2008 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Sorry, macmeal; it wouldn't allow me to give you a rep (must spread it around). You hit the nail on the head!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,894,180 times
I have to spread rep around, too, before giving to mac again.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 PM

751 posts, read 845,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Lukeache, I'll be kind and assume your area has little or no illegal immigration....so, perhaps to you, its only an interesting theoretical debate.
Not true. Most illegals and legal Hispanics here in MN settle in very undesirable parts of Minneapolis and St Paul and/or dying farm towns in Southern Minnesota. These places or parts of the state are far from being desirable. I have gone to California many times and I really do not see illegal immigration being a problem in places like Santa Monica, Ventura or Santa Cruz, now if you live in a rough part of LA like Pico Rivera, East LA, Watts, I am sure illegal immigration is a problem but these are some of the worst parts of the city!!!

If you have a solid middle class/upper middle class lifestyle, I do not see how immigration is going to affect your life directly. Even when I lived in Mesa, AZ for a few years, I witnessed the same thing, illegals usually settle in the worst part of the city simply because they can't afford anything better. If you can afford to live in a nice suburb, I really do not see immigration being a big problem. As far as people criticizing the Wall Street Journal, I am a subscriber and this is the best newspaper in my opinion. If you don't like the WSJ, stick to your more intellectual news sources like FOX News and Bill O'Reilly . Ridiculous!!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 PM

14,206 posts, read 7,406,947 times
Quote:
I am sure illegal immigration is a problem but these are some of the worst parts of the city!!!

If you have a solid middle class/upper middle class lifestyle, I do not see how immigration is going to affect your life directly.
And this makes it ok how?

Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Not true. Most illegals and legal Hispanics here in MN settle in very undesirable parts of Minneapolis and St Paul and/or dying farm towns in Southern Minnesota. These places or parts of the state are far from being desirable. I have gone to California many times and I really do not see illegal immigration being a problem in places like Santa Monica, Ventura or Santa Cruz, now if you live in a rough part of LA like Pico Rivera, East LA, Watts, I am sure illegal immigration is a problem but these are some of the worst parts of the city!!!

If you have a solid middle class/upper middle class lifestyle, I do not see how immigration is going to affect your life directly. Even when I lived in Mesa, AZ for a few years, I witnessed the same thing, illegals usually settle in the worst part of the city simply because they can't afford anything better. If you can afford to live in a nice suburb, I really do not see immigration being a big problem. As far as people criticizing the Wall Street Journal, I am a subscriber and this is the best newspaper in my opinion. If you don't like the WSJ, stick to your more intellectual news sources like FOX News and Bill O'Reilly . Ridiculous!!
I lived in MN for 2 years, near St. Cloud and in Rochester, and think you're full of it. I didn't see any illegals, even when I visited the twin cities. As far as your comments of what is and isn't desirable, that's in the eye of the beholder, and is not up to you, just as what jobs people want is not your business judge them for being peasants. Whether the jobs are desirable to YOU or not, they are part of this country and always have been, and someone needs to do them. I'd really like your explaination as to why an illegal Mexican should be more entitled to a labor job than an American citizen.

And do you really think the ghettos of big cities are the only places affected by illegals? Come out the central valley of CA, they are EVERYWHERE. They are all over middle class neighborhoods (like mine) because they rent and live 20 to a house. Every other day I'm awaken by some a-hole blasting mariachi music 2 blocks away. Before you start making judments on people and assumtions about this problem, you should really try to have the slightest idea what you're talking about. But then again, if your main source of information is bleeding heart pro-illegal Fox news (which you call more intellectual, please don't make me vomit), then it's easy to see where you get all your pro-illegal propaganda crap.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:43 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
The pro illegal supporters are grasping at straws------------their ship is sinking.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 PM

23,003 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Quote:

If you have a solid middle class/upper middle class lifestyle, I do not see how immigration is going to affect your life directly. Even when I lived in Mesa, AZ for a few years, I witnessed the same thing, illegals usually settle in the worst part of the city simply because they can't afford anything better. [b]If you can afford to live in a nice suburb, I really do not see immigration being a big problem.[/B] As far as people criticizing the Wall Street Journal, I am a subscriber and this is the best newspaper in my opinion. If you don't like the WSJ, stick to your more intellectual news sources like FOX News and Bill O'Reilly . Ridiculous!!
Wait a minute. I live in a middle class neighborhood in the DC area and there are illegals all over my hood. I live in Alexandria, VA where the average price of a house is $500-$600K inside the city limits and a couple of months ago we became a sanctuary city thanks to our liberal kiss-^%& city council. The majority of the population on the west side of Alexandria, is mostly foreign-born. My beef is not with the legal immigrants, it's with the illegals who are whining b/c they want everything on a silver platter including spainsh stores when the legal immigrants take the time and learn the language. The illegals here are raising the crime rate in every part of the city, so don't tell me that illegals are the poor man's problem b/c that simply ain't true.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Not true. Ridiculous!!
Lukeache - I must assume only one thing: You are not a taxpayer. For, if you were, your money would be going to pay for those in this country illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or