U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Reputation: 4893

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Did the 60 hospitals release any statement on why they closed? I would love to read some of those statements but you probably can't find one because they didn't base their closure just because they "could no longer afford to treat illegal bums for free".
A) No one here is "anti immigrant".

B) There have been over the last few months, media attention on the hospital closings - they closed due to lack of funds - they were not able to get paid for medical care given to illegals -

Without money - they closed. Fairly simple equation - don't you think?

 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Reputation: 4893
According to the report, between 1993 and 2003, 60 California hospitals closed because half their services became unpaid. Another 24 California hospitals verge on closure, the author writes.

WorldNetDaily: Illegal aliens threaten U.S. medical system

While the government obliges the hospitals to treat these patients, no refunding of their unpaid services must ever occur under the bill�s duties. In other words, hospitals must give unpaid services to their communities, without any guarantee of repayment by a government facility that made it do so. Although a very sensible idea (it is unethical for hospitals to deny care to an uninsured gunshot victim), certain areas of the nation have become overwhelmed by an abuse of this system. As a prime example, between 1993 and present day, over 60 hospitals have closed down in the state of California due to the surge in critical care given to those without insurance, mainly illegal immigrants

Hopkins Undergraduate Research Journal (http://ww2.jhu.edu/hurj/issue7/focus-draoua.html - broken link)

Border Hospitals on the Brink
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
 
67 posts, read 37,475 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A) No one here is "anti immigrant".

B) There have been over the last few months, media attention on the hospital closings - they closed due to lack of funds - they were not able to get paid for medical care given to illegals -

Without money - they closed. Fairly simple equation - don't you think?
Nobody who argues for the illegals seems to want to address the truth ... they just seem to want to call people "racist".

Frankly I don't care any more what people call me. I know the truth, I know the facts, and I'm sick and tired of illegal aliens and their supporters telling me the opposite.

The site won't really allow me to express what I think about these Mexican illegals, but it includes a finger, a Mexican bending over with his jeans over his stolen socks and a "Thank you for coming, now please F off" greeting card stuck where the sun don't shine ...
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:22 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Did the 60 hospitals release any statement on why they closed? I would love to read some of those statements but you probably can't find one because they didn't base their closure just because they "could no longer afford to treat illegal bums for free". When luke presents an educated, researched and factual article everybody jumps on his case. Yet you guys don't provide your own educated and factual research, everything you anti- immigrant crowd spew are based on stereotypes and lies.
Really? Now this is the most amazing thing.....................

note: this article discusses the cost of non-emergency care.

(According to this report, Parkland's ER provided $5.6 million in care to 'people who could not offer proof of legal US residency'. The federal government provided $1.8 million in reimbursement under the program discussed in my last post. A Parkland official said about 50 illegal immigrants a day were treated in the hospital's ER.)


Quote:
Migrant care costing millions
Parkland says price for nonemergency services tops $22M for year
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
The Dallas Morning News

Illegal immigrants got more than $22.4 million worth of nonemergency medical care at Parkland Memorial Hospital this year, officials said Tuesday.

The cost estimate was the first time Parkland has quantified how much Dallas County taxpayers are paying for such care for illegal immigrants.

<snip>

The issue of immigrant health-care costs has been boiling over in recent months, and Dallas County officials even sent bills to Mexico and other countries hoping for reimbursement for their citizens' medical care at Parkland.

<snip>

The $22.4 million in costs were for medical care at the hospital's community and specialty clinics this fiscal year.

"We're going to take it to Washington because we suspect that urban areas carry 70 to 80 percent of the illegal immigrant burden," Dr. Anderson said.

<snip>

Until the federal reimbursement began, hospitals were not asking patients for their legal status for fear of scaring away seriously ill people. But to qualify for the payments, hospitals began checking Social Security numbers to try to determine who was illegally in the U.S.

The hospital has tracked such patients in its clinics by the identification numbers assigned to them in the emergency room.

<snip>

For years, Parkland has been reimbursed for the costs of obstetrics patients who were illegal immigrants. They qualify for a special Medicaid program for women who can't prove their legal status. Of the 16,000 babies born annually at Parkland, about 70 percent are to mothers who are illegal immigrants.

<snip>

Local taxpayers will pay $348 million for Parkland next year, about 38 percent of its total revenues. The remainder comes from Medicaid, Medicare, other government subsidies and private insurance.
Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/082306dnmetparkland.3489b1a.html - broken link)
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
According to the report, between 1993 and 2003, 60 California hospitals closed because half their services became unpaid. Another 24 California hospitals verge on closure, the author writes.

WorldNetDaily: Illegal aliens threaten U.S. medical system

While the government obliges the hospitals to treat these patients, no refunding of their unpaid services must ever occur under the bill�s duties. In other words, hospitals must give unpaid services to their communities, without any guarantee of repayment by a government facility that made it do so. Although a very sensible idea (it is unethical for hospitals to deny care to an uninsured gunshot victim), certain areas of the nation have become overwhelmed by an abuse of this system. As a prime example, between 1993 and present day, over 60 hospitals have closed down in the state of California due to the surge in critical care given to those without insurance, mainly illegal immigrants

Hopkins Undergraduate Research Journal (http://ww2.jhu.edu/hurj/issue7/focus-draoua.html - broken link)

Border Hospitals on the Brink
Again, all the articles you posted are opinion articles and they ALL source the journal written by as lou dobbs called her that wack job cosman. There is no concrete evidence the hospitals closed because of illegal immigrants. Just because the lady who lied about the leprosy cases said so doesn't make it true.
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A) No one here is "anti immigrant".

B) There have been over the last few months, media attention on the hospital closings - they closed due to lack of funds - they were not able to get paid for medical care given to illegals -

Without money - they closed. Fairly simple equation - don't you think?
I beg to differ

B) Again, there is no concrete evidence they closed just because of care given to undocumented immigrants. There are many other reasons why they could be lacking funds. Off course without money they have to close but there is no concrete evidence they don't have money because of illegal immigrants.
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Again, all the articles you posted are opinion articles and they ALL source the journal written by as lou dobbs called her that wack job cosman. There is no concrete evidence the hospitals closed because of illegal immigrants. Just because the lady who lied about the leprosy cases said so doesn't make it true.
Here's your concrete evidence:


Quote:
"This funding comes at a crucial time, when nine California hospitals have closed in the past year, due in part to a spike in costs associated with care for undocumented aliens," said Feinstein, who is also seeking federal reimbursement to states for the costs they incur in incarcerating illegal immigrants.

U.S. to help cover health costs of illegals / Providers in state to divvy up $71 million for emergency care
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I beg to differ

B) Again, there is no concrete evidence they closed just because of care given to undocumented immigrants. There are many other reasons why they could be lacking funds. Off course without money they have to close but there is no concrete evidence they don't have money because of illegal immigrants.
Then why is the fed gov providing $250 million per year to cover the costs of caring for illegals?
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I beg to differ
You may differ all you care to. It does not alter the fact however, that you are wrong.

Being anti illegal immigration does not equal anti immigrant.

Those same immigrants would be welcome in the US, if they came LEGALLY.

Your attempts to paint a different picture is, at best, disingenious, and at worst, a lie
 
Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I beg to differ

B) Again, there is no concrete evidence they closed just because of care given to undocumented immigrants. There are many other reasons why they could be lacking funds. Off course without money they have to close but there is no concrete evidence they don't have money because of illegal immigrants.

Just how many patients do you feel a hospital can treat at completely no charge at all? Patients who do not intend to pay any part of their bill, and who don't bother with obtaining health insurance and do not qualify for Medicaid and Medicare?

Nurses have to be paid, physicians treating them must be paid, laboratory, pharmachy, all kinds of therapists treating the illegals must be paid.

Sure they can raise up the costs to the paying patients -- and that is of course being done -- to a ridiculous degree -- driving the costs of insurance and the government programs way up -- but even with that -- there comes a point.

What do you suppose happens when the free patients outnumber the paying patients?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top