Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

41 posts, read 112,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I still do not understand why some people are so passionate about this subject, unless you are ignorant, uneducated and prejudiced. My position on this issue is neutral, illegal or legal immigration so far has had 0 impact on the quality of my life. I obviously do not agree with anything that is against the law, but it is the Government's responsibility to keep illegals out of the country, not mine.

It seems like a lot of these passionate anti-illegal are people that resent their own failures and try to blame it on illegals. Essentially, the "illegal immigrant" has become the boogeyman for people that are failures in life. Geez, I feel so threatened by someone who does not even speak English and has a 4th grade education. Irrational!
NO IMPACT ON YOUR LIFE? Are you ignorant, uneducated, and prejudiced? Do you live in Texas or Maine? Compare the murder, rape, theft, and auto-theft percentages per 1,000 people in states bordering Mexico and ones not bordering Mexico. Then tell me if they are or are not making an impact on our country.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM

751 posts, read 1,168,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatter crac View Post
NO IMPACT ON YOUR LIFE? Are you ignorant, uneducated, and prejudiced? Do you live in Texas or Maine? Compare the murder, rape, theft, and auto-theft percentages per 1,000 people in states bordering Mexico and ones not bordering Mexico. Then tell me if they are or are not making an impact on our country.
San Diego, been there many times, right across from the border, very low crime even in the "rough" parts like National City. El Paso, actually first time I went there, I was expecting to find a craphole filled with crime and murder, it is a very safe city, actually much safer than Dallas or Houston. When I lived in the Phoenix area, car theft was high but I find it hard to believe that illegals were doing that, usually, the incentive for car thieves in Phoenix is being able to enter Mexico, drop it off and return to Phoenix to do it again. Illegals are unable to enter Mexico and return to the USA. Apparently, you have not read the article.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:22 PM

27,539 posts, read 15,954,767 times
Quote:
Illegals are unable to enter Mexico and return to the USA.
Did I miss something?

Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,333,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Did I miss something?
Yeah, if they're unable to go to Mexico and come back to get more cars, what are we missing here?

Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,363,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Did I miss something?
Nope, it most definately is the poster who is missing something. By the way lukeache, you still have not responded to my post........

Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,131,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
San Diego, been there many times, right across from the border, very low crime even in the "rough" parts like National City. El Paso, actually first time I went there, I was expecting to find a craphole filled with crime and murder, it is a very safe city, actually much safer than Dallas or Houston. When I lived in the Phoenix area, car theft was high but I find it hard to believe that illegals were doing that, usually, the incentive for car thieves in Phoenix is being able to enter Mexico, drop it off and return to Phoenix to do it again. Illegals are unable to enter Mexico and return to the USA. Apparently, you have not read the article.
Lukeache -

With all due respect, the Minnesota cold has adversly impacted your ability to reason.

LIVE IN ONE OF THE BORDER STATES - don't just "visit" - LIVE - for a long period. Get a sense of WHAT IS REALLY HAPPENING -

At this point, and again, with all due respect, at this point you do not have a clue

Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,131,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
By the way lukeache, you still have not responded to my post........
Nor mine - or, anyone elses for that matter who have explained the "why" people have problems with Illegals

He (assuming a "He") is choosing to ignore REALITY

Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM

67 posts, read 49,982 times
Your condescending attitude is partly responsible for the many negative responses to your post. But thanks for edu-ma-cating all us roobs ...

Another reason is that the article in the WSJ states facts but does not clearly elucidate what they mean.

"immigrants on balance are five times less likely to be in prison than someone born here". The author is quoting national, not regional statistics. For the entire US population that may be true, but how many illegals live in Alaska or Wyoming ...

For example, look at the prision population of California, a State over-run with illegals.

From Wikipedia, "Of the 160,000 prisoners in California, two-thirds are African American and Latino and 25% are not United States citizens." 25% seems like a pretty big number to me, bub, considering these illegal bums are only 4% of the population according to the author. Seems to me, just off th' farm yuh know, but ay been figurin' and that be about six times what it oughta be ... mighty strange that be ... (I will accept that California also has a larger proportion of illegals than the national, but really ...)

The author then gives himself an out ... "None of this is to argue that illegal immigration doesn't have costs, especially in border communities and states with large public benefits." Righty ho ... how about starting with the 60 hospitals having to close in California alone because they could no longer afford to treat illegal bums for free ...

What a load of crap you posted, lukeache ...

Old 01-02-2008, 03:10 PM

751 posts, read 1,168,473 times
Righty ho ... how about starting with the 60 hospitals having to close in California alone because they could no longer afford to treat illegal bums for free

What a load of crap you posted, lukeache ...

I am sorry about posting "crap" from the Wall Street Journal. Next time, I will make sure I post something with a "no-spin approach" from FOX News or Bill O'Reilly. As far as hospitals closing, most of these hospitals are "ghetto hospitals" in places like East LA, Watts, Pico Rivera etc. Like I said, I do not think they will close Beverly Hospital or Santa Monica-UCLA hospital anytime soon because of illegals. As much as I do not agree with hospitals closing because of illegals, it is the governments responsability to come up a reasonable health care system and enforce immigration law. I find it hard to believe that the wealthiest country in the world is unable to resolve this problem. Hence the reason why I do not understand why some people are so "passionate" about this issue. It is not like the people in charge do not know what they are doing or are not aware of the problem.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:38 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,952,445 times
Hey, Lukeache. Instead of trying to "educate" us, how about "educating" and CONVINCING the insurance companies of your position? When I lived on the Border, my auto insurance rates were incredibly high, due to their stated risks of my car being stolen, hit by an uninsured driver, and otherwise damaged because of my proximity to the border. I have NO accidents or violations. Not even a parking ticket.

When I moved 500 miles north of the Border, my rates were reduced to the tune of $300 per year. But Texas rates are still high because it's a border state. We are LIVING with the reality of being close to the Border and pay dearly because of the statistics that exist. So, go ahead -- convince the insurance companies that these statistics are all wrong, there's no appreciable increase in crime or law-breaking because of illegals, and do us all a big favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration