U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,438,494 times

Advertisements

BOS2IAD, No pol who loses 3 in 4 Latino votes, for any reason, should wonder why they lost the overall election.

Only an idiot ignites the furor of the fastest-growing demographic group.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:16 PM

11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
BOS2IAD, No pol who loses 3 in 4 Latino votes, for any reason, should wonder why they lost the overall election.

Only an idiot ignites the furor of the fastest-growing demographic group.
Bob---It's not like it's going to grow exponentially by the next presidential election.

Spin it however you like but pandering to a group with the promise of rewarding lawbreakers is something that should never be done.

Doing such a thing will never get them my vote---or any of my extended family members' votes.

If 7% of the Hispanic voting bloc is furious because their relatives can't get amnesty, well, too bad!

Politicians on both sides of the aisle should be worrying about igniting the fury of the vast majority of the population. You know, the majority of us---no matter what race, religion or ethnicity---don't want amnesty for illegals.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:19 PM

BOS, Even a little bit kills the GOP, as they have very few paths to 270.

Blue Wall with its new members, Va and NM, starts Dems around 260 EC. Red Wall starts GOP around 180.

So the GOP must prevent the Dems from winning just 10% of the swing EC votes (105 or so).

Old 11-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Enough, Bob.

Catering to lawbreakers is never a good thing. Why are you so gung-ho on the tail wagging the dog?

Why are you so obsessed with this issue? Do you have illegal alien relatives?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 PM

Not gung ho, but I am objective. I study electoral maps. I need not like the fact 39 states plus DC have stayed solid blue or red 7 straight times, in order to acknowledge that as a fact.

The BW is far more densely populated than the RW. That means the RW's party, the GOP, has NO margin for error. Latino's are growing at far faster rates than the nation at large, as their median age is a decade younger than the nation at large. The GOP must deal with that fact, or choose to fall on its sword pandering to the radical right.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Not gung ho, but I am objective. I study electoral maps. I need not like the fact 39 states plus DC have stayed solid blue or red 7 straight times, in order to acknowledge that as a fact.

The BW is far more densely populated than the RW. That means the RW's party, the GOP, has NO margin for error. Latino's are growing at far faster rates than the nation at large, as their median age is a decade younger than the nation at large. The GOP must deal with that fact, or choose to fall on its sword pandering to the radical right.
Nope. Neither party should ever pander to lawbreakers. If both parties start doing that, then the majority will feel betrayed.

Believe me---when Reince Priebus added amnesty to the GOP's platform, it angered RNC members. I know this because the GOP called our house and asked us to join. I gave them an earful and said that as long as amnesty remains a part of their platform, they won't get a cent from me. I also let them know that I was half-Hispanic and found it insulting to be thought of as someone who supports amnesty. The person on the phone told me that I wasn't the first one to say this. Then he kept trying to lower the amount of the donation that I would give and telling me that my money was needed to fight this faction who wants amnesty. I told him to get back to me when they stop all talk about amnesty.

It's despicable to expect both parties to cater to lawbreakers. I doesn't matter that the Hispanic voting is slowly growing. You make the mistake of assuming that all Hispanic adults are eligible to vote. You also make the mistake of assuming that of those who are eligible to vote will register to do so. You also make the insulting mistake of assuming that those who do vote put amnesty first and foremost and are one-issue voters. No, bob, when polled Hispanic-American voters rate the economy as their #1 concern with immigration issues low on the list of their priorities.

And, bob, amnesty is not popular. Think about it for a minute, will you? If amnesty was popular, then why didn't the dems ram it through and cram it down our throats during the first 2 years of Obama's first term when they had a majority house and senate?

You make the mistake of thinking that groups like La Raza, LULAC, Sin Fronteras, Brown Berets, Mexica Movement, etc. are speaking for all Hispanics. They are not. They are speaking for illegals and those who aid and abet them. They are also not speaking for Hispanic-Americans who have been victims of ID theft by illegals or who have been displaced in the work force by illegal aliens.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 PM

73-27 BOS. Were Latinos celebrating Obama's economic success when voting?

PS: Mittens won the same % of the white vote in 2012 as Reagan won in 1984. The nation has drastically changed, though.

Please explain where the GOP can pick up 5 million additional votes from, unless you are thinking Reagan and Mittens underperformed amongst whites.

The GOP has done nothing the last decade which would add to their pithy 27% Latino POTUS share, after all.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Let it go, Bob. Let it go. We all know that you support pandering to lawbreakers. We also know that you stereotype all Hispanics as a monolith who marches in lockstep with La Raza and all want amnesty. I don't appreciate being insulted and stereotyped in such a fashion, so please stop.

Now, bob, I'm done so go ahead and keep posting.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 PM

No BOS, I support rational answers to a massive GOP POTUS math problem. Not sticking ones head in the sand.

A few posters were mature enough to admit they would accept POTUS defeat to maintain what they view as principles. I respect that, even if I'd choose to see those I prefer have a shot at the WH, in order to get other stuff accomplished.

To not acknowledge the math issue, though, is cowardly.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:07 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
No BOS, I support rational answers to a massive GOP POTUS math problem. Not sticking ones head in the sand.

A few posters were mature enough to admit they would accept POTUS defeat to maintain what they view as principles. I respect that, even if I'd choose to see those I prefer have a shot at the WH, in order to get other stuff accomplished.

To not acknowledge the math issue, though, is cowardly.
Mitt being Mormon; that did hurt him. Tho it might NOT matter in 2016 IF he ran, especially if running against Hillary, her time is done IMHO plus she's too close to Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration