U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 PM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Seeking votes is not pandering. All pols do it, all groups seek something. Many Repubs have run on lower taxes for upper bracket folks (Reagan lowered the max, as did other pols)-i.e. they pandered to a single subset of the population's wishes. A popular vote process guarantees that will occur.

So why brand one groups desires when other groups have also played this "I can vote, tradeoff game"?
But pandering without breaking laws is one thing and pandering while breaking laws is quite something else. Why can't you see the difference? However, overall politicians shouldn't pander to a certain ideal or group if it is not in the best interest of our citizens and country as a whole. Tell me what other group than the illegal alien advocate one is demanding that our politicians disrespect our laws for them....I'll wait!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:52 PM

8,063 posts, read 3,623,323 times
[quote=texdav;37295197]
Quote:
Diaz-Balart seems to have wisely studies the demographic breakdown of recent elections, and population growth patterns.

Now, if you prefer, the GOP can simply concede POTUS races for as far as the eye can see. In 2016, Latinos will comprise a bigger portion of the electorate than 2012, and in 2012, they gave Obama a 5 million vote margin![/quot
That has been the Democrats plan for decades in Texas. I think its pretty racist for democrats to believe all races vote for their self interest only. The fact that its has come about shows that voting isn't a race issue to most. But then if Democrats leadership believed that then they would have passed immigration reform in first two years when they could have; which didn't happen.
There are many legal Latinos resent the Illegals ones and are very Conservative in beliefs. It may go for the GOP if they start deporting and come up with a more stream line process. I work with many here is South Florida and they do get hostile of those who cheated their way in.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:10 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,441,833 times
Interesting, OldGlory, if you think Latinos will be voting Democratic no matter what, you are effectively conceding POTUS long-term. I do agree the GOP has next to no shot at the Oval Office, but I was unaware you concur. Its a mathematical certainty if you view the 2012 Latino vote breakdown as the new normal, and view W's 44% share as a one-time anomaly never to recur.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Interesting, OldGlory, if you think Latinos will be voting Democratic no matter what, you are effectively conceding POTUS long-term. I do agree the GOP has next to no shot at the Oval Office, but I was unaware you concur. Its a mathematical certainty if you view the 2012 Latino vote breakdown as the new normal, and view W's 44% share as a one-time anomaly never to recur.
We'll see IF your opinion will be right or wrong in 2016. IMHO: there WON'T be any kind of amnesty because people are def pissed now at the idea.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:16 PM

It will be right. I'm not going by opinion, but by recent POTUS polling data of this ever-growing portion of the electorate each POTUS election cycle.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
So just what does the GOP have to do to gain more of the Latino vote.....cave into an amnesty that isn't in the best interests of the rest of us or this country? Why enforce any of our laws if all a demographic group has to do is to threaten our politicians at the voting polls to get their way? So far you haven't answered any of my questions in that regard or why many Latinos think their ethnic group is above our immigration laws.

Latinos don't decide elections. They are only 10% of the entire electorate. It would be a big mistake politically for the GOP to go along with granting citizenship in particular to a demographic group who would more than likely have that same mindset and vote Democrat. They most certainly would guarantee conceding POTUS for a long time with that move.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 PM

If the GOP passes a Comprehensive Immigration Reform plan, that would do wonders in future elections, and give them leverage to strengthen border patrol plus e-verify concurrently.

10% matters. A 46% gap (73-27 Dems by Latinos 20120) by 10% of total voters is an overall effective 4.6% gap..in an election won by about 5%.

Their impact in critical swing states far exceeds 10%!

Now, what has rendered itself ineffective is the Southern Strategy. Romney & McCain held the South, but in 5 of last 6 elections, Dems won popular vote, plus all together 61+% of all electoral votes over 24 years.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
If the GOP passes a Comprehensive Immigration Reform plan, that would do wonders in future elections, and give them leverage to strengthen border patrol plus e-verify concurrently.

10% matters. A 46% gap (73-27 Dems by Latinos 20120) by 10% of total voters is an overall effective 4.6% gap..in an election won by about 5%.

Their impact in critical swing states far exceeds 10%!

Now, what has rendered itself ineffective is the Southern Strategy. Romney & McCain held the South, but in 5 of last 6 elections, Dems won popular vote, plus all together 61+% of all electoral votes over 24 years.
So the GOP should sell our country down the river aka so-called CIR/amnesty for votes? I'd rather see them go down in flames than to turn into anti-American traitors.

Still not answering any of my questions so it seems useless to debate with you. If you are so sure your position is the right one then why won't you to answer them?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 PM

I am debating the wisdom given the mathematical certain of losing the battle, OldGlory. W/O POTUS, the GOP cannot move the needle on this issue. They can block stuff for 2 years while they hold the Senate, but they cannot pass stuff not to the liking of the POTUS. That means not only will 11 million be here, but the numbers will continue to grow, and w/o being allowed to legally work here, they undermine wages far more, as that means employers can hold them hostage and that means legal residents are devalued.

I'd like to see both parties capable of taking the Oath of Office, and truly moving the needle. We just have 1.

Recognize how ineffective that makes the GOP. I do not care whose title is Majority Leader if he/she can NOT do anything substantive and see it become law!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:53 PM

11,496 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So the GOP should sell our country down the river aka so-called CIR/amnesty for votes? I'd rather see them go down in flames than to turn into anti-American traitors.

Still not answering any of my questions so it seems useless to debate with you. If you are so sure your position is the right one then why won't you to answer them?
Yes, bob avoids the hard questions, Oldglory. He has never answered why it is okay for politicians to pander to lawbreakers.

Nor has explained why politicians aren't pandering to Irish Americans by promising amnesty for the illegal Irish. After all, 40 million Americans can trace some (or all) of their ancestry back to Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration