U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2014, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge
2,423 posts, read 3,009,126 times
Reputation: 2485

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can call it what you want;but in the end its Oking people breaking the entry laws and cheating; nothing more. The first encourage more law breaking and cheats ;the temporary so called dream ok sent thousands of children scrambling for the border encouraged by their parents .That last is pure crazy.Done by a president who can't take the consequences of a election ;in his own words.
I agree 100%. It doesn't matter which side of the aisle you lean towards. Bottom line is that President 0bama is going to reward many people that broke the law. This is not fair for immigrants that came to this country legally by abiding by the rules and regulations. Allowing illegal aliens to stay is not immigration REFORM. Immigration reform is addressing a broken immigration system. Enforcing laws that are already in place. That's reform. Where was 0bama's EO on ENFORCEMENT? If immigration laws are followed opportunities will be closed for illegals. They will self deport. You can't send an army of immigration officers all over the country to gather illegals and deport. Laws have to be followed otherwise let's all stay home and call it a day. Picking and choosing which laws should be enforced is pure politics.

The Democrats think it's OK for 0bama to allow illegals to remain because Reagan and Bush did it. Amnesty did not work for Reagan and Bush because the borders are still porous. Also, Democrats brag about 0bama's deportation statistics. It's HIS JOB to deport illegals. Like this is an excuse to allow 5 million law breakers to allow.

Now that 0bama spoke get ready for more people to enter illegally. They are on their way. They know the government does nothing. This is why the US immigration system is garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2014, 06:26 PM
 
31,855 posts, read 14,662,676 times
Reputation: 8488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You're assuming that an immigration bill is necessary. It isn't.
Exactly, We already have immigration laws and policies on the books. What is being proposed is not reforming those but granting amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 PM
 
62,737 posts, read 27,890,491 times
Reputation: 7931
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We have no proof at this time this violates federal law.
Sure we do. Harboring illegal aliens, or aiding or abetting their harboring in the U.S. is a federal offense.

8 U.S. Code § 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens | LII / Legal Information Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 07:35 PM
 
19,237 posts, read 11,188,576 times
Reputation: 8387
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
In his opening statement, Obama spoke of immigration having "shaped our character" and having "kept us entrepreneurial."

However, the immigrants he was speaking of came to this country legally; they obeyed the laws, they learned the language, they learned our history, took the test, and they assimilated. They were proud to become citizens, and they began the process of building their lives anew, often beginning with nothing more than the clothes on their backs, but by the sweat of their brows, they worked, earned, raised their families and lived as Americans, adopted American culture as their own.

Then, as he rambled on about Republicans not doing the job, and our "broken immigration system" (it isn't broken - the laws are not being enforced, which is his job), he segued into the reasons he was taking his illegal action.

Attempts to use election results as a basis for his illegal action by claiming "Americans are tired of gridlock," as if the election was not about repudiation of his policies, but instead was about not getting [his] "important" work done on immigration "reform." This flies in the face of the fact that the vast majority of Americans reject amnesty for those who enter our country illegally, people who are invaders and have no interest in assimilating into American culture as legal immigrants of the past have done.

As if disciplining a recalcitrant child, his scolding tone, and frown,were a bit much. This was an obvious attempt to claim his higher moral code.

Finally, he pulls the 'religion card.' Obama begins to 'quote' what he says comes from 'scripture;' but, as usual when he attempts to use scripture, he fails to give a reference, and we could only find one place that came close to what he was "quoting," but was a completely different context, and referred to nomads, not foreign nationals. This was a clear attempt to shame those of us who are Christian and reject illegal immigration.

Sorry, Obama. You lost the election. Get over it. Your move is illegal and in violation of your Constitutionally designated powers.
wrong- in so many levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 08:03 PM
 
11,574 posts, read 5,547,013 times
Reputation: 9906
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
wrong- in so many levels.
And how, exactly, is it "wrong-in[sic] so many levels"?

Oh, I see! You are all for amnesty and open borders. If so, then you are wrong on so many levels.

We have immigration laws and expect those who want to come here to do so in accordance with those laws. Lawbreakers---which is what illegal aliens are---do not deserve to be rewarded. Instead, they need to suffer the consequences that come along with breaking laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 08:06 PM
 
5,931 posts, read 6,372,057 times
Reputation: 5479
Obama has officially proved himself a big dbag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 05:57 AM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,147 posts, read 15,711,680 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You will be hard pressed to find very many reputable sources to prove that he is doing something other than what is allowed and what is available to every other president before him.
Are Judge Andrew Napolitano or attorney Jay Sekulow of the ACLJ "reputable sources," in your opinion? Both have said that what he is doing is beyond his authority as President, and violate the law and the Constitution.
(Washington, DC) – The American Center for Law & Justice (ACLJ), which focuses on constitutional law, said President Obama’s Executive Order on immigration reform is an “unconstitutional power grab of historic proportions” designed to change the law by “executive fiat – something that he does not have the power to do.”

"The President is changing the law by executive fiat - something that he does not have the power to do. By granting substantive rights such as work permits the President is exceeding his authority - a move that is unconstitutional and violates the rule of law."
Jay indicated that his organization was discussing options with members of Congress, including litigation, to challenge the President's unconstitutional actions.
Judge Andrew Napolitano with Megyn Kelly on Fox's The Kelly File

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxES8idaPvU#t=44
Defunding the President's unlawful action is one thing the Congress can easily do. The President cannot force Congress to appropriate one dime to fund the President's unlawful immigration action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 AM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,147 posts, read 15,711,680 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
The Democrats think it's OK for 0bama to allow illegals to remain because Reagan and Bush did it. Amnesty did not work for Reagan and Bush because the borders are still porous. Also, Democrats brag about 0bama's deportation statistics. It's HIS JOB to deport illegals. Like this is an excuse to allow 5 million law breakers to allow.

Now that 0bama spoke get ready for more people to enter illegally. They are on their way. They know the government does nothing. This is why the US immigration system is garbage.
Reagan signed a law presented to him that had been duly passed by Congress. Bush also had a lawfully enacted statute behind him.

Obama is creating his own law. He does not have the authority under the Constitution to make law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 06:26 AM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,147 posts, read 15,711,680 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We have no proof at this time this violates federal law.
Really? According to whom? Not according to any number of Constitutional attorneys and law firms (ACLJ, for example) who have weighed in on this unlawful action.

Stopping President Obama's Lawless Immigration Order | American Center for Law and Justice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 AM
 
8,842 posts, read 9,652,454 times
Reputation: 6705
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Are Judge Andrew Napolitano or attorney Jay Sekulow of the ACLJ "reputable sources," in your opinion? Both have said that what he is doing is beyond his authority as President, and violate the law and the Constitution.
(Washington, DC) – The American Center for Law & Justice (ACLJ), which focuses on constitutional law, said President Obama’s Executive Order on immigration reform is an “unconstitutional power grab of historic proportions” designed to change the law by “executive fiat – something that he does not have the power to do.”

"The President is changing the law by executive fiat - something that he does not have the power to do. By granting substantive rights such as work permits the President is exceeding his authority - a move that is unconstitutional and violates the rule of law."
Jay indicated that his organization was discussing options with members of Congress, including litigation, to challenge the President's unconstitutional actions.
Judge Andrew Napolitano with Megyn Kelly on Fox's The Kelly File

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxES8idaPvU#t=44
Defunding the President's unlawful action is one thing the Congress can easily do. The President cannot force Congress to appropriate one dime to fund the President's unlawful immigration action.

The kneejerk ,arm chair reactions to the EO by paid comentators. I am sure the White House legal team told the President how far he could go, just far enough to anger a do nothing congress, forceing them to act while at the same time throwing immigrants a bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top