U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM

10,118 posts, read 8,587,585 times

Advertisements

So Obama is essentially not going to try to deport a large portion of the illegal population, and allow them to work legally. Maybe he can get away with this, maybe he can't.

But as far as I can tell, he can't give them any way to be come permanent residents or citizens. That would require legislation. So, if we can get a Republican President in 2016, is there any reason why he could not reverse this order, and start deporting these illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 AM

62,984 posts, read 28,209,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So Obama is essentially not going to try to deport a large portion of the illegal population, and allow them to work legally. Maybe he can get away with this, maybe he can't.
Actually, he can't.

Obama's EO is illegal. It's a federal offense to harbor, or aid or abet the harboring of illegal aliens in the U.S.

8 U.S. Code 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens | LII / Legal Information Institute

That's what the GOP needs to pursue. The U.S. President does not have the authority to issue an EO that violates federal law.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM

32,119 posts, read 14,840,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

But as far as I can tell, he can't give them any way to be come permanent residents or citizens. That would require legislation. So, if we can get a Republican President in 2016, is there any reason why he could not reverse this order, and start deporting these illegals?
This is only a temporary stay of deportation just as those who fell under his DACA program. What I don't get since both groups are still here illegally how can he give them work permits? Being here illegally means they aren't authorized to work here. Since Obama will be out of office in two years I hope the GOP investigates every avenue to put a stop to them becoming legal residents of our country and implements e-verify across the board to at least remove the job incentives for them to remain here. There are other things that can be changed to encourage self-deportations also. If we have a GOP president in 2016 then I hope they pull out all the stops to secure our border and stop the flow or more coming here. Within two years though how many more will have come here to get in on Obama's stay of deportation with hope that they will be amnestied and given permanent residence? I shudder to think of it.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:18 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,510,939 times
what he actually has done is as chief law enforcement officer in federal system that immigration comes under is order certain people within illegal s not to be taken into custody and deported. Its not any thing permanent and next president can drop it. To grant amnesty requires a change in the immigration law which requires congress to pass in both houses. The only other time this has been done was by Reagan but the difference is he had a deal and passed a law. he just made sure those effected would not be deported while law was being passed. The Bush introduced a agreed law when president. But it never got to a vote as Democrats and Republicans backed out of support on massive votesr contacting them opposing. Since no bill has reached the floor for vote even tho Obama had two years of assured passage.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM

3,870 posts, read 3,188,612 times
Once these losers are in a database they will be easier to track and deport later.

These parasites are never happy, already they are complaining that they want social services and more recent illegals to be amnestied also.

Just what the US DOESN'T need 3rd world uneducated peasants with their hands out DEMANDING a free pass and free stuff.

Remember that these illegals will bring that which they supposedly flee from corruption, violence , a warped sense of entitlement AND more lawlessness.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:49 PM

32,119 posts, read 14,840,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Once these losers are in a database they will be easier to track and deport later.

These parasites are never happy, already they are complaining that they want social services and more recent illegals to be amnestied also.

Just what the US DOESN'T need 3rd world uneducated peasants with their hands out DEMANDING a free pass and free stuff.

Remember that these illegals will bring that which they supposedly flee from corruption, violence , a warped sense of entitlement AND more lawlessness.
Tonight was a real eye opener for me in regards to their warped sense of entitlement. I was watching a news program out of Seattle tonight and an illegal alien mother and her U.S. born daughter were asked about the fact that Obama says he will deport felons though and what they thought about that. They said if they were a family member they shouldn't be deported either because it separates families. Well there you have it folks!

Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,227,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Tonight was a real eye opener for me in regards to their warped sense of entitlement. I was watching a news program out of Seattle tonight and an illegal alien mother and her U.S. born daughter were asked about the fact that Obama says he will deport felons though and what they thought about that. They said if they were a family member they shouldn't be deported either because it separates families. Well there you have it folks!
I agree they should not separate them. They should send them all back together. If any member of my family were being deported, we would all go with them. Family. Of course, the deal with the children kind of says how they feel about family.

For KS, if they become legal enough to work without fear of being deported, employers will probably have to pay more and give benefits. I actually see that as a positive and kind of due justice to those that have insisted on hiring the illegals in the first place. If we can get to the point of public assistance combined with the low wages, KS has an even bigger problem.

I do not believe in exploiting the illegal population in the way that is done and we know that is why neither party makes a move to secure the border. All we needed to do was require every employer to e-verify. E-verify would still go a long way in taking care of the problem.

I don't care if someone has been here 40 years and entered illegally. They are still illegal and not entitled as a citizen. A lot of people get ripped from their current lives, they committed a crime years and years ago and have cleaned up their act but it doesn't take away from the illegal acts that they are guilty of.

Drives me crazy. It was so simple. All employers e-verify.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw they were bringing one back to our county from Mexico on a murder charge but, of course, he was here to make a better life for his family?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 PM

18,524 posts, read 11,957,032 times
Power to issue work permits "green cards" lies heavily with the POTUS as an administrative action. If you've ever sat down and studied the immigration laws for this country you'll find they are not only complex but the code is riddled with exceptions, loopholes and vast amounts of judicial and administrative discretion. This is why it can take decades to deport an illegal if they ever are removed.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 PM

18,524 posts, read 11,957,032 times
Have not had the stomach to read all of what is in this latest travesty of immigration action by Obama. However from media reports it seems the thing will sunset in five years. At that time these illegals become subject to deportation *again* and the other benefits will also expire.

Presumably Obama and his supporters who drew up this dog of a plan sought to head off any legal review about "permanent" amnesty. By saying they are only giving a temporary reprieve to deportation and allowing work permits Obama's administration can tell the courts with a straight face they are not over stepping authority.

Just as with same sex marriage, and other social issues Obama has weighed into large numbers of attorneys, past and former presidential/Congressional aides and others have been working on this EO. They were brought in to craft something that will withstand (they hope) judicial review and cannot be reversed easily by successive administrations. Congress of course has other ways to deal with EOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or