U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,223,114 times
Reputation: 436

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sheriff Joe respects and enforces all laws . . . not just the ones he prefers.

Well how backwards of him. LOL! Isn't it utterly ridiculous to criticize someone like Joe that cares about enforcing the law with passion. It's not like he's taking the law in to his own hands and beating people. He's working within the law to regain some sort of state of law and order. Geesh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 725,704 times
Reputation: 107
No, my information is not wrong, you need to read George's own biography, ......evidently you haven't.


Romney's father, George, was brought into the US across the border by his mother, Anna, ..........without stopping or applying for any clearance.

George's father, Gaskell, crossed into the US by walking the desert into New Mexico, the same route taken by many immigrants today.

His family had earlier moved to Mexico illegally, and Mitt's father and mother returned the same way, bringing Mexican born George along.

If you want to get technical about it, that makes all three of them illegals.

.
..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM
 
206 posts, read 365,752 times
Reputation: 82
Your "information" is an outright lie. A while ago, I had posted a link showing to Romney's lineage and family migration. They lived in parts of the U.S. that were, at one time, considered Mexican territory (e.g.-Utah.). None of them, however, were Mexican nationals. By the time some of them died, the area around them had become U.S. territory, not unlike the situation facing many Americans who 'went West.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 725,704 times
Reputation: 107
Nice try, not true, though....

You see, Romney's family had fled the US because of polygamy being illegal.

Hence the move across the border to Mexican land, where the polygamists were granted 'sanctuary' by the Mexican federal government.

The local Mexicans wanted to boot them back across the border, being as they were illegal immigrants by coming into Mexico to carry out polygamist practices.... (you see, polygamy was illegal in Mexico too.)

Same reason George's run for the presidency was questioned, he wasn't strictly eligible as he was not a US citizen by birth.

I'm guessing you haven't read George's own biography either.

One might wish to spin the facts to cover up the hypocrisy, but read their own accounts of their history.

Trying to revise their history after they themselves have published the facts only works for those who won't bother to look up the facts.

....those who would rather not believe the facts, ......as the facts don't support the myth.

One might want to read this book too, if one is interested in facts, not myth.

Mormon Colonies in Mexico (http://www.uofupress.com/store/product297.html - broken link)
.
..
,
..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
 
206 posts, read 365,752 times
Reputation: 82
Polygamy or not, your current statements only confirm (my post) that his predecessors were not Mexican nationals, but among many Americans who moved out West and found themselves in Mexican territory (which later became part of the U.S.). In fact, it's quite plausible that some of his ancestors may have even fought Mexico (or at least led the campaign) to have these territories annexed to the U.S., much like what happened in Texas and all across the Southwest.

So what?


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
No, my information is not wrong, you need to read George's own biography, ......evidently you haven't.


Romney's father, George, was brought into the US across the border by his mother, Anna, ..........without stopping or applying for any clearance.

George's father, Gaskell, crossed into the US by walking the desert into New Mexico, the same route taken by many immigrants today.

His family had earlier moved to Mexico illegally, and Mitt's father and mother returned the same way, bringing Mexican born George along.

If you want to get technical about it, that makes all three of them illegals.

.
..
Even if you were 100% correct about Mitt's parents of which you are not; it would not apply due to the Anchor Baby law still being in effect.

Father: Gaskill Romney was born in Utah Territory ca. 1873
Mother: Anna Pratt Romney also was born in Utah ca. 1877

Source: Ancestry.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 725,704 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Even if you were 100% correct about Mitt's parents of which you are not;
Even if I was correct?

You claim I've posted something incorrect, yet you don't bother to name what it is, nor do you refute what I've posted.

Nice try. Best check your sources and try again.
.
..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 PM
 
1,252 posts, read 725,704 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
found themselves in Mexican territory (which later became part of the U.S.).
Far from 'finding' themselves in Mexico, they willingly immigrated to Mexico because polygamists were being hunted in Utah, and they didn't want to be arrested for their illegal polygamist ways.

Quote:
Romney's father, former Michigan Gov. George Romney, was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, where Mormons fled in the 1800s to escape religious persecution and U.S. laws forbidding polygamy.
Quote:
Gaskell Romney, Mitt Romney's grandfather, was not a polygamist. He married Anna Amelia Pratt, the daughter of polygamists and the granddaughter of Parley Pratt, the apostle with 12 wives.

Their marriage took place Feb. 20, 1895, in Dublan, Mexico.

Gaskell Romney had moved to Mexico with his parents in 1884 amid the proliferation of U.S. laws prohibiting "unlawful cohabitation." Anna Pratt was born in Utah, but had emigrated to Mexico and lived in one of nine Mormon colonies established over the border.

Gaskell Romney and Anna Pratt had seven children, including George Wilcken Romney, the former Michigan governor. He lived with his parents in Mexico until 1912, when the family returned to the United States.
Romney family tree has polygamy branch - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/02/24/romney_family_tree_has_polygamy_branch/ - broken link)

Quote:
George Romney, a 1968 Republican hopeful, was born in Mexico in 1907 to American parents who had moved there to escape anti-Mormon persecution in the US. (Contrary to a widely held popular misconception, by the way, Romney's parents were settlers in Mexico, not missionaries.)
Questions and answers on dual US/other citizenship

How about the Mexican Constitution, since they immigrated to Mexico and were living under Mexican law.

Articles: Mexican Constitution as of 2002 - Historical Text Archive

Quote:
Article 30. Mexican nationality is acquired by birth or by naturalization:

Mexicans by birth are:
Those born in the territory of the Republic, regardless of the nationality of their parents:
Those born in a foreign country of Mexican parents; of a Mexican father and a foreign mother; or of a Mexican mother and an unknown father;
So George W. Romney was a Mexican under A.I., and Mitt can claim to be a Mexican under A.II.

Another point: Mitt's mother is Lenore LaFount Romney, and her father was Harold Arundel Lafount, born in Birmingham, Warwick, England January 5, 1880. Lenore was born in Utah.

So Mitt's maternal grandfather was also an immigrant (this would have automatically granted Lenore British citizenship, but this would not have transferred past one generation.

Nonetheless, having a Mexican dad and a British mother, sure does lend credence to the claim that Mitt himself qualifies for Mexican citizenship.

.
..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:34 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Even if I was correct?

You claim I've posted something incorrect, yet you don't bother to name what it is, nor do you refute what I've posted.

Nice try. Best check your sources and try again.
.
..
LOL, that's what they always do. Accuse you of something and when you ask for the facts or quotes of what they claim you said wrong they make up some lame excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,874,837 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Do celebrity endorsements make much of a difference in elections? Barack Obama’s assistance from the unelected queen of the world, Oprah Winfrey, suggests maybe not, at least not in the way you’d expect. A poll found that one in three young New Hampshire women were less likely to vote for the clean, smart and articulate Obama because of the Oprah endorsement. One –sixth of women over age 65 said their opinion of the senator diminished as a result of Ms. Winfrey’s support.

National Ledger - Sheriff Joe Arpaio Backs Mitt Romney: An Endorsement That Might Matter
Wonderful endorcement for Romney, everyone who watches the news knows who Sheriff Joe Arpaio is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top