Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times

Advertisements

Hmm, Had a small conversation in Spanish and received this message after deleting mine.

English only at City Data per the Terms of Service

Thw whole problem about illegal is well, illegal. But when you start censoring to control.

Free speech should be allowed in any language. Just make rules that cause others to join other threads that have their language. Not stifle.

I am not surprised that my last thread has gone cold since the espanol went in. hmm...

Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Hmm, Had a small conversation in Spanish and received this message after deleting mine.

Thw whole problem about illegal is well, illegal. But when you start censoring to control.

Free speech should be allowed in any language. Just make rules that cause others to join other threads that have their language. Not stifle.

I am not surprised that my last thread has gone cold since the espanol went in. hmm...
I disagree. City data has the right to make any rules they see fit. There are hundreds of languages around the world, and expecting the moderators to know ALL of them so to monitor profanity and inappropriate content to me is unreasonable. If they did it for Spanish, then it would only be fair to do it for every other language spoken.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:03 PM

You may be right but the thread had two posts that were not English and I even translated one in English. The fact that while the thread was basically dying and yet they chose to delete part of it was a bit much.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:54 AM

902 posts, read 718,192 times
Quote:

Don't like the rules? Then leave!!!!! We speak English in this country and I am sick of people who want their rules to take precedent over the rest of the country. Speak other languages in your home and others' homes but when you are in public, like here, you should speak English. BTW, stop whining!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 AM

436 posts, read 810,035 times
This is America. Yes, there are freedoms for all, BUT- the board has the right to state that ENGLISH- the language of this Country be used in the communicative process.

I wish the politicos had the testicular fortitude to do the same in everyday business.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 AM

This was not about speaking English but about what appeared to be a trigger finger. It is also ignorant of you to believe that I am not from this country because of one line written not in English. What race do you believe I am and should it matter? This thread area is about illegal immigration, not racist ideology.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
This was not about speaking English but about what appeared to be a trigger finger. It is also ignorant of you to believe that I am not from this country because of one line written not in English. What race do you believe I am and should it matter? This thread area is about illegal immigration, not racist ideology.
The fact remains - this Board is a private service - as such, they may establish whatever rules / guidelines they wish. You, by signing up, agreed to abide by those guidelines. Those in charge are enforcing those guidelines that you agreed to abide by.

Seems fair to me

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Free speech does not apply on a message forum. You do not own this forum, nor pay for it, so you do not make the rules.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 AM

The terms are fair, I only started this thread because they yanked a one line comment. I was not a thread started and then maintained in Spanish. I even put a translation in English so as to be fair to others. It just seemed like overkill.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Well now you see how speaking another language bifurcates our society - if you were allowed to post in another language and it caught on, it might break up this board eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration