U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:39 PM

4,910 posts, read 3,487,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I understand what you are saying and I at least partially agree with you. But in the meantime before 2016 the American worker will be hurt by this. I think the GOP needs to fight this so that Americans know they are fighting for the American worker and the rule of law. This will speak well for them in 2016. Otherwise it just makes them look complacent in all of this and weak.
I know they'll be hurt. It breaks my heart to think about it because I know so many good and decent people who are struggling every day to hold their lives together. They're fighting every day just to hold onto their jobs, pay their bills, have hope.........

I still think that the best thing the GOP can do is express anger and outrage, and constantly make the public aware of how EXACTLY this bill is impacting their daily lives. I could be way wrong on that. I don't know. It's all above my pay grade as the saying goes. I'm just some random person watching bad policies get compounded by more bad policies. But I worry about the GOP getting caught up like a fish in a net in endless arguments that last for months or years, all played out in the media. And then I worry that while they're fighting, they take their eyes off the prize, which is 2016. They have 2 years to get it right, and in the grand scheme of a presidential election that isn't a lot of time.

They're not going to win if they fight it. At least not between now and 2016. It will eat up too much time, too much money, too much strategic planning, and there would be too many "angry white male conservative sound bites". Too much money. Too much time. Too much focus away from the election. Obama WANTS the GOP to overplay their hand. It ain't about poor illegals looking for a better life. It's about the future of politics in this country.

Don't have the answer Oldglory. Like I said, just some random citizen trying to pay my own bills and have hope for the future. Hopefully the people who are supposed to be smarter than I am have the answer..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 02:05 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I know they'll be hurt. It breaks my heart to think about it because I know so many good and decent people who are struggling every day to hold their lives together. They're fighting every day just to hold onto their jobs, pay their bills, have hope.........

I still think that the best thing the GOP can do is express anger and outrage, and constantly make the public aware of how EXACTLY this bill is impacting their daily lives. I could be way wrong on that. I don't know. It's all above my pay grade as the saying goes. I'm just some random person watching bad policies get compounded by more bad policies. But I worry about the GOP getting caught up like a fish in a net in endless arguments that last for months or years, all played out in the media. And then I worry that while they're fighting, they take their eyes off the prize, which is 2016. They have 2 years to get it right, and in the grand scheme of a presidential election that isn't a lot of time.

They're not going to win if they fight it. At least not between now and 2016. It will eat up too much time, too much money, too much strategic planning, and there would be too many "angry white male conservative sound bites". Too much money. Too much time. Too much focus away from the election. Obama WANTS the GOP to overplay their hand. It ain't about poor illegals looking for a better life. It's about the future of politics in this country.

Don't have the answer Oldglory. Like I said, just some random citizen trying to pay my own bills and have hope for the future. Hopefully the people who are supposed to be smarter than I am have the answer..........
Agreed and HOW!

I'm 1 of those people who's on the edge and, getting ready to go over.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:10 PM

37,998 posts, read 18,949,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Theoretically, Obama's immigration EOs should be nullified because by issuing both, Obama himself has committed federal offenses.

However, it is tempting to let the EOs stand and let that exact same demographic (no/low-income) suffer the consequences for two years of Obama's illegal actions. Might make them rethink their continued unthinking knee-jerk votes for Democrats.
It's a smart move at least for now. Obama who will most certainly veto anything to stop it so let Dems suffer the consequences.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:45 PM

31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

IMO, the GOP can do both. They can fight and try to undo what Obama has done and also focus on the next election. I think them showing strength by fighting will gain them the respect and support of more voters rather than by curing up in a corner like wimps. I may be wrong also. As for me, if they don't fight this I will be very disappointed in them. So I guess I am going by how I view it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or