U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 AM

3,936 posts, read 5,450,243 times

Advertisements

Have we been had, yet again?

'We Will Not Engage': Michele Bachmann Reveals GOP Plans to Ignore Executive Amnesty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 AM

62,517 posts, read 27,802,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Have we been had, yet again?
No. Smart move. Let Dem voters suffer the inevitable negative consequences of Obama's unilateral acts on immigration that defied what the majority of Americans wanted. Should be great campaign fodder for 2016.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,530,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. Smart move. Let Dem voters suffer the inevitable negative consequences of Obama's unilateral acts on immigration that defied what the majority of Americans wanted. Should be great campaign fodder for 2016.
Yep! LOL!

We need a graphic for <VBEG>!

Old 11-24-2014, 05:28 PM

31,587 posts, read 14,599,205 times
IMO, the GOP should not let this slide and they should take every course of action to get this overturned. Our country and it's laws are at stake here.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 AM

62,517 posts, read 27,802,586 times
Theoretically, Obama's immigration EOs should be nullified because by issuing both, Obama himself has committed federal offenses.

However, it is tempting to let the EOs stand and let that exact same demographic (no/low-income) suffer the consequences for two years of Obama's illegal actions. Might make them rethink their continued unthinking knee-jerk votes for Democrats.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:04 PM

42 posts, read 35,591 times
What did you expect? Republicans have no intention to change any liberal policy or law. Robert Lewis Dabney once said;

Quote:
"...This [Republican Party] is a party which never conserves anything. Its history has been that it demurs to each aggression of the progressive party, and aims to save its credit by a respectable amount of growling, but always acquiesces at last in the innovation. What was the resisted novelty of yesterday is today one of the accepted principles of conservatism; it is now conservative only in affecting to resist the next innovation, which will tomorrow be forced upon its timidity and will be succeeded by some third revolution; to be denounced and then adopted in its turn. American conservatism is merely the shadow that follows Radicalism as it moves forward towards perdition. It remains behind it, but never retards it, and always advances near its leader. This pretended salt hath utterly lost its savor: wherewith shall it be salted? Its impotency is not hard, indeed, to explain. It is worthless because it is the conservatism of expediency only, and not of sturdy principle. It intends to risk nothing serious for the sake of the truth, and has no idea of being guilty of the folly of martyrdom. It always when about to enter a protest very blandly informs the wild beast whose path it essays to stop, that its “bark is worse than its bite,” and that it only means to save its manners by enacting its decent role of resistance: The only practical purpose which it now subserves in American politics is to give enough exercise to Radicalism to keep it “in wind,” and to prevent its becoming pursy and lazy, from having nothing to whip.”
It pretty much sums what the Republican Party is about. They will not take back lost ground but in fact desert it when they have lost it. Republicans and Democrats are both open border parties. There are a few conservatives in the Republican Party like Rand Paul (Libertarian), Mo Brooks, Michelle Bachmann and Steve King. The rest of the GOP elected congressmen are hardcore liberals or are funded by certain political organizations and people who are pro-immigration (regardless of levels of unemployment) and so they will do nothing. I think it is just a matter of time until the Republican Party take a stance for abortion and gay-marriages. The Republican Party is dying party for the old northern plutocratic establishment. The Republican Party is kept alive through cheap flag-waving nationalism, warmongering and a few tones of Christian-fundamentalist conservatism. At local and state level there are still some conservatives but they are few in numbers. The truth is that I rather support the Democrats than the Republicans – at least they toss a few bread crumbs to the poor while the Republicans give nothing.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylock View Post
What did you expect? Republicans have no intention to change any liberal policy or law. Robert Lewis Dabney once said;

It pretty much sums what the Republican Party is about. They will not take back lost ground but in fact desert it when they have lost it. Republicans and Democrats are both open border parties. There are a few conservatives in the Republican Party like Rand Paul (Libertarian), Mo Brooks, Michelle Bachmann and Steve King. The rest of the GOP elected congressmen are hardcore liberals or are funded by certain political organizations and people who are pro-immigration (regardless of levels of unemployment) and so they will do nothing. I think it is just a matter of time until the Republican Party take a stance for abortion and gay-marriages. The Republican Party is dying party for the old northern plutocratic establishment. The Republican Party is kept alive through cheap flag-waving nationalism, warmongering and a few tones of Christian-fundamentalist conservatism. At local and state level there are still some conservatives but they are few in numbers. The truth is that I rather support the Democrats than the Republicans at least they toss a few bread crumbs to the poor while the Republicans give nothing.
Well, since there are far more Democrats that are pro-amnesty and it was Obama that stopped deportations along with work permits why focus on the Republicans? Yes, there are some that are too lenient about rewarding illegal aliens but most of them....no. The GOP isn't noted for liberalism. And the Democrats have backing from certain groups to fulfill their agendas also.

You have no way of knowing what the GOP will or will not do about this so why make assumptions about it and make assumption about the other issues? I disagree with your negative stereotyping of the GOP also. The Republicans have nothing against helping the truly needy but there are far too many welfare kings and queens out there and that is their objection. I'd rather be a flag waving nationalist than a traitor to my country.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:08 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,490,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
IMO, the GOP should not let this slide and they should take every course of action to get this overturned. Our country and it's laws are at stake here.
OG - I'm at the stage with the Obama administration now where I realize that it is not going to change course, modify its course or modify any of its own policies that are ill conceived and begin to play out badly for the country. It is an administration completely run by ideologues. It's too late.

I don't think that the GOP should squander the time, money, energy nor strategic planning that would be required over the next couple of years to fight Obama, because the ONLY thing that matters anymore is what happens in 2016. The GOP needs to conserve all of those commodities in order to be able to find good candidates, run good campaigns, communicate a cohesive message that resonates with Americans, and remain disciplined in its messaging in two years. THAT is where they should be focusing.

IMO the GOP needs to educate the public about this EO , and why the public needs to be concerned about IT, and how the PROCESS happened. The GOP needs to effectively and consistently communicate to the administration, the media and the public their outrage about this EO, and over the next couple of years point out how this EO DIRECTLY affects the American people.

But aside from that, I think the GOP just needs to stay out of the way and let this administration hang itself. They have instituted an ill conceived EO. They did it. They own it. Let it play out in real time in front of the public. Contrary to Grubers comments, many Americans are not stupid. And more are engaged in politics than politicians give them credit for.

One more thought - this country is stronger than any one president. He needs to go and 2016 can't come soon enough. But this country will get beyond this. I believe that.

Last edited by juneaubound; 11-26-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
OG - I'm at the stage with the Obama administration now where I realize that it is not going to change course, modify its course or modify any of its own policies that are ill conceived and begin to play out badly for the country. It is an administration completely run by ideologues. It's too late.

I don't think that the GOP should squander the time, money, energy nor strategic planning that would be required over the next couple of years to fight Obama, because the ONLY thing that matters anymore is what happens in 2016. The GOP needs to conserve all of those commodities in order to be able to find good candidates, run good campaigns, communicate a cohesive message that resonates with Americans, and remain disciplined in its messaging in two years. THAT is where they should be focusing.

IMO the GOP needs to educate the public about this EO , and why the public needs to be concerned about IT, and how the PROCESS happened. The GOP needs to effectively and consistently communicate to the administration, the media and the public their outrage about this EO, and over the next couple of years point out how this EO DIRECTLY affects the American people.

But aside from that, I think the GOP just needs to stay out of the way and let this administration hang itself. They have instituted an ill conceived EO. They did it. They own it. Let it play out in real time in front of the public. Contrary to Grubers comments, many Americans are not stupid. And more are engaged in politics than politicians give them credit for.

One more thought - this country is stronger than one president. He needs to go and 2016 can't come soon enough. But this country will get beyond this. I believe that.
I understand what you are saying and I at least partially agree with you. But in the meantime before 2016 the American worker will be hurt by this. I think the GOP needs to fight this so that Americans know they are fighting for the American worker and the rule of law. This will speak well for them in 2016. Otherwise it just makes them look complacent in all of this and weak.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:27 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,323,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Poor move. American public has a short attention span as to who was the cause of this when the reaction occurs some time in the middle.

Best is to purchase mucho tv time, radio time and web work and fight it with smart and true info.

In fact, I could see bringing up the we do not want a dictatorship approach perfect with homages to other "strong men" in recent history who have destroyed weak democratic governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or