U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:52 PM

11,894 posts, read 14,359,727 times

Advertisements

While the US talks about securing the border or absorbing all the new immigrants, here is one trying to keep people from leaving.
Poland and the EU: Poland's emigration headache | The Economist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 PM

31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
While the US talks about securing the border or absorbing all the new immigrants, here is one trying to keep people from leaving.
It's not immigrants that we don't want to absorb it is illegal aliens. We already absorb the legal ones and there is no shortage of those who want to come here legally.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:19 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Poland does have illegals...not too many, but they're there. Mostly from former Soviet republics.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:24 PM

110 posts, read 121,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Poland does have illegals...not too many, but they're there. Mostly from former Soviet republics.
Most of them are in Russia.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If talking about Polish people: they're LEGAL aliens in England, France and so on. This is the ILLEGAL Immigration Forum.

MOST US citizens want illegal immigration stopped. Period.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,290,826 times
Poland has roughly 38 million citizens and around a million illegal immigrants. The top 3 countries of origin are Vietnam, Ukraine and Pakistan. There are also many Armenians and Chinese.
Just so we have the facts.
(This comes from Rzeczpospolita - one of the leading Polish newspapers, and is confirmed by my personal friend who handles immigration as a Border Guard official in their hq in Warsaw).
I just thought I'd inject some facts relevant to this forum, poles migrating to other parts of EU is not an illegal immigration issue by any stretch.
Yac.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Poland has roughly 38 million citizens and around a million illegal immigrants. The top 3 countries of origin are Vietnam, Ukraine and Pakistan. There are also many Armenians and Chinese.
Just so we have the facts.
(This comes from Rzeczpospolita - one of the leading Polish newspapers, and is confirmed by my personal friend who handles immigration as a Border Guard official in their hq in Warsaw).
I just thought I'd inject some facts relevant to this forum, poles migrating to other parts of EU is not an illegal immigration issue by any stretch.
Yac.
Since 2004, that is correct. Prior to 2004 there were many illegal Polish migrant workers across Europe. They remained "illegal" in some countries for several years after accession due to movement restrictions/failing to register or apply for work permits/other in certain EU countries. The UK and Ireland had no such restrictions on Polish migrants, which is one of the reasons why so many went there post-accession. After some of those restrictions expired in 2006, migration was more evenly spread.

I myself have not lived in Poland for over ten years, so obviously the landscape will have changed since then.

FWIW, I never saw any east Asians in Poland that were not tourists. I never saw any south Asians at all. I could only identify people from Ukraine or Belarus (usually but not always illegal) only when they spoke. Otherwise, they blended in.

But getting back to your original point...it is true that Poland did not then and does not now have a big problem with illegal immigration. Perhaps this thread belongs in the "Legal Immigration" forum.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Yac

From what I read (and can see, as I live in Poland after all), Asians in Poland are either
a) spread out all over, I know that I regularly see Asian people (though I have no idea about their immigration status ) in both small towns and big cities,
or
b) are concentrated in several "Asian cities" like Wólka Kosowska near Warsaw, which are basically huge marketplaces with sometimes tens of thousands of people working and living there.
Generally as far as I know, there are no major issues with immigrants, legal or otherwise, here.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:34 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
From what I read (and can see, as I live in Poland after all), Asians in Poland are either
a) spread out all over, I know that I regularly see Asian people (though I have no idea about their immigration status ) in both small towns and big cities,
or
b) are concentrated in several "Asian cities" like Wólka Kosowska near Warsaw, which are basically huge marketplaces with sometimes tens of thousands of people working and living there.
Generally as far as I know, there are no major issues with immigrants, legal or otherwise, here.
I know your country's part of Schengen which takes out the word "illegal" if talking about people from Germany and so on but, doesn't Poland have a problem with the Ukraine and Russia since they're next door?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:28 AM
Yac

We have problems, but as far as I know none of them are about immigration. Even though both Ukrainians and Russians need visas to get into Poland, getting a work permit is actually not that difficult and there are many Ukrainians and Russians working in Poland legally. (Even though the system here is a caricature of what it's supposed to be, for example social security and taxes take like 40% of your income, promising you pension once you get older, but in reality it's a big ponzi style piramid and they're using what you put in to pay off their current expenses, everything you "save" there is purely virtual and the state has to throw more money at it every year just to keep it afloat.. )
My father used to employ several Ukrainian builders, not because they were cheaper, everything was legit. He employed them because most Poles that did the job they were hired to do .. moved west as well And who can blame them really, when in Poland they can earn like 6pln/hour (less than 2$) when at the same time in the UK, they earn 6.5 pounds per hour for the same work? And it's all legal.
Anyway, despite horrendous labor costs and silly law, we don't have too many illegals working under the table - but that's mainly because most illegals treat Poland as a stepping stone, many only stay here as long as they have to before moving west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration