U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:48 AM
 
Location: USA
18,548 posts, read 13,683,613 times
Reputation: 12135

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Please don't forget Ireland, China, Russia, Nigeria and so on; it ain't just "Hispanics" who are illegal aliens.
Not to mention Chechnya (Boston Bombers home country) and Somalia(Most ISIS fighters). Legal and Illegal, apparently we just let anyone in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:37 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,080,491 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I disagree. Either they violated our laws by coming here illegally or their parents brought them here illegally. Neither warrants our citizenship.
They didn't consciously violate those laws. Their parents forced them into that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 10:35 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 3,162,024 times
Reputation: 2442
Great, maybe they can build robots to better patrol the borders and find Illegal aliens to deport next.

Better yet work on robots to do the "jobs" Americans supposedly won't do, that way eliminating excuses Liberals use for Illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 AM
 
31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
They didn't consciously violate those laws. Their parents forced them into that situation.
Doesn't matter. They are here illegally and because their parent's violated our immigration laws their kids shouldn't benefit from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 07:59 AM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
4,677 posts, read 4,592,036 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Wow, nice story. The follow up report The True Story of the Kids Who Beat MIT's Best Robots, Coming Soon to Theaters | WIRED demonstrates how these four may have faced less obstacles attending college in Mexico. I wonder if they even applied to engineering schools in their home countries?
The poor in Mexico have essentially zero chance of attending college, especially for engineering. Part-time enrollment is not allowed and study abroad is required for advanced degrees. That gets compounded for engineering, because a master's degree is the minimum qualification for a professional engineering license in Mexico (or if coming from Mexico to the US). As a result, college education numbers in Mexico now are roughly what they were in the US in the 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 08:00 AM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
4,677 posts, read 4,592,036 times
Reputation: 2966
The thing I take away from this story is that even that the current immigration system has no path for people like these three to actually legally immigrate. The one who was able to immigrate had to get congressional intervention for that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 08:07 AM
 
31,495 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8356
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The thing I take away from this story is that even that the current immigration system has no path for people like these three to actually legally immigrate. The one who was able to immigrate had to get congressional intervention for that to happen.
Of course not, nor should there be. We don't need millions of poor, uneducated and unskilled in our country. If we based our policies on an immigrant's needs rather than what is best for our own citizens we would have 2 billion impoverished across the world coming here. That would be committing national suicide. Foreigners need to seek changes in their own countries. We cannot be the employment agency and flop house to the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:30 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,080,491 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Doesn't matter. They are here illegally and because their parent's violated our immigration laws their kids shouldn't benefit from it.
So you believe that children should be punished for what their parents do? Because that's what this boils down to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:33 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The poor in Mexico have essentially zero chance of attending college, especially for engineering. Part-time enrollment is not allowed and study abroad is required for advanced degrees. That gets compounded for engineering, because a master's degree is the minimum qualification for a professional engineering license in Mexico (or if coming from Mexico to the US). As a result, college education numbers in Mexico now are roughly what they were in the US in the 1970s.
Uh; that's Mexico's problem, not ours. Tho even here in the US; a college degree ain't what it used to mean even 50 years ago since so many people have 1 in 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:35 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
So you believe that children should be punished for what their parents do? Because that's what this boils down to.
Being sent back to where they were born is punishment? Flip it around: If my wife and I had a kid here in the US; we went to Sweden illegally and we got deported, do you think Sweden would allow our child to stay there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top