U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,906,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And you are discriminating if you would not hire hispanics because obviously you incorrectly assume that each one is illegal.
E-verify for all employees. No discrimination at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:33 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,770,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I'll keep advancing it as long as it's true. I was co-owner in a landscape company. We used to be put ads in local papers for help. Here's the results:

Hispanics: Non-stop calls
Whites: GED's mostly, best one lasted 5 months and he was a crew leader
Blacks: One guy called only for his unemployment check (had to apply to some employers)

So, you tell me skippy, where are all these "proud" americans when it comes to a$$ busting work, 6 days a week? Crickets......same goes for restaurants although not as bad. If the girl is pretty and sporting a D cup, non-stop employment.....if not, see waffle house...fact, not fiction.....

American's can get jobs in restaurants because of the turnover....but, most stick to Hispanics because they come to work every single day and work their assets off without complaints. Same reasons we liked them in landscaping...they work. Hard.

Speaking of myths, I hope you and yours quit perpetuating the myth that they work for "slave wages"....most start at $10 an hour and got up to $15/hour very, very quickly. That myth about them working for dirt is laughable. They know what they are worth and demand it. Fortunately for them, everyone in the industry is more than willing to pay it as NO one else will stick around long enough otherwise.

If I had another service business that needed manual labor, I would only source Hispanics. Period.
Wow. Where to start. My husband used to be in construction, back when carpenters were worth something. Contractors started bringing in illegals who would work for dirt cheap wages. Now you have new construction homes being slapped up daily with crappy quality. So if you were one of those owners, contractors who preferred hiring sloppy labor for your landscape business then I can see why you would have a different viewpoint. In my business of insurance billing for healthcare providers, I hire those who are qualified, and the first qualification is you must be a citizen of the United States. Your ethnicity doesn't count!!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,172,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Wow. Where to start. My husband used to be in construction, back when carpenters were worth something. Contractors started bringing in illegals who would work for dirt cheap wages. Now you have new construction homes being slapped up daily with crappy quality. So if you were one of those owners, contractors who preferred hiring sloppy labor for your landscape business then I can see why you would have a different viewpoint. In my business of insurance billing for healthcare providers, I hire those who are qualified, and the first qualification is you must be a citizen of the United States. Your ethnicity doesn't count!!
Pretty much nonsense. The Hispanics dominate residential construction in Nevada and much of the west. They work cheap only in comparison to union tradesmen. Illegals are certainly present but only a minority of the workers. The battle in Nevada involved Caucasian contractors using Hispanic workers to push the unions out. Cheap illegals were not a significant issue.

And they are pretty well paid as are landscapers who are also virtually all Hispanic.

Last edited by lvoc; 12-16-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Pretty much nonsense. The Hispanics dominate residential construction in Nevada and much of the west. They work cheap only in comparison to union tradesmen. Illegals are certainly present but only a minority of the workers. The battle in Nevada involved Caucasian contractors using Hispanic workers to push the unions out. Cheap illegals were not a significant issue.

And they are pretty well paid as our landscapers who are also virtually all Hispanic.
Here in California they are hired regularly and will work for lower wages. The contractors use the snot out of them. Btw, I thought many on CD were all for union wages? This is my point, when it comes to actually paying people many decide to go cheap and the results in low to middle end construction are readily apparent. Americans will work these jobs but not if they have to live with two to three families in one house and eat beans to do it.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,019,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't know what has happened to the people in this country, I guess they've never been hungry, or have it way to easy.....?

When I was younger I cleaned houses, ironed, did laundry for people, even cleaned at a motel once....
my son, worked 3 jobs one time...one full time and two part time...and so has my Daughter in law....

I just don't get people...maybe America has made it way to easy for people?

I wish I knew but, I can tell you flat out, most folks do NOT want to take a lot of the lower paying jobs. Holding out for management positions I guess.....All I can tell you is that when it comes to very hard labor related jobs, Americans seem not to apply.

Now, you have to consider the region. This is in and around Atlanta. If I were to try this say in Iowa or some other area that may/may not have as many Hispanics, then it might be different. I can tell you this though, go to a car wash in this area, work is flawless.

Now, go back home to an area with union labor and few if any Hispanics? The work is shoddy, the car wash still uses nylon whacker brushes and you are lucky if they clean the inside of the windows....all for $4 more.....

To be sure, no one is expecting folks to make a career out of it but, if Americans WERE taking and HOLDING those jobs, you wouldn't HAVE an immigration problem, would you? They don't come here to sight see, they come here to work. And apparently, employers love them as they can't get anyone else to do it. They are the Irish and Italians of a hundred years ago.

In 20 years, they will own the trades in non-union areas. Count on it.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:06 PM

25,489 posts, read 23,334,537 times
Quote:
and that is the way it should be.....!

Old 12-16-2014, 02:08 PM

25,489 posts, read 23,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I wish I knew but, I can tell you flat out, most folks do NOT want to take a lot of the lower paying jobs. Holding out for management positions I guess.....All I can tell you is that when it comes to very hard labor related jobs, Americans seem not to apply.

Now, you have to consider the region. This is in and around Atlanta. If I were to try this say in Iowa or some other area that may/may not have as many Hispanics, then it might be different. I can tell you this though, go to a car wash in this area, work is flawless.

Now, go back home to an area with union labor and few if any Hispanics? The work is shoddy, the car wash still uses nylon whacker brushes and you are lucky if they clean the inside of the windows....all for $4 more.....

To be sure, no one is expecting folks to make a career out of it but, if Americans WERE taking and HOLDING those jobs, you wouldn't HAVE an immigration problem, would you? They don't come here to sight see, they come here to work. And apparently, employers love them as they can't get anyone else to do it. They are the Irish and Italians of a hundred years ago.

In 20 years, they will own the trades in non-union areas. Count on it.
did you know that NJ is trying to get a bill passed so that federal funding can go to illegals who want to go to college? Geeze Louise, why not give everything to them? Jersey also passed a bill so that they can drive with licenses now....illegals?????????? All for votes, b/c Jersey is full of illegals.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,172,569 times
Quote:
Here in California they are hired regularly and will work for lower wages. The contractors use the snot out of them. Btw, I thought many on CD were all for union wages? This is my point, when it comes to actually paying people many decide to go cheap and the results in low to middle end construction are readily apparent. Americans will work these jobs but not if they have to live with two to three families in one house and eat beans to do it.
Just not true. The actual cost of building homes in CA is if anything is a little higher than here and that is mostly a labor cost. So no CA does not have cheap labor.

These guys are generally all good journeyman. The build a house just the same as a caucasian union crew would. Either group can build cheap and poor quality depends on how the prime runs his business. And here and in CA both the premiere builders and the cheap guys use the same crews as subs.

This discussion has nothing to do with union wages. That is what you get on the strip and government buildings. But the non-union shops won in the residential market.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Just not true. The actual cost of building homes in CA is if anything is a little higher than here and that is mostly a labor cost. So no CA does not have cheap labor.

These guys are generally all good journeyman. The build a house just the same as a caucasian union crew would. Either group can build cheap and poor quality depends on how the prime runs his business. And here and in CA both the premiere builders and the cheap guys use the same crews as subs.

This discussion has nothing to do with union wages. That is what you get on the strip and government buildings. But the non-union shops won in the residential market.
Sorry, they are not journeymen by and large and the work is shoddy. The contractors pocket a considerable amount of money but not the construction workers. The fact that they are not Caucasian has nothing to do with the shoddy work, it has to do with the fact that they will work for less, enabling themselves to be hired instead of more skilled craftsmen.

Last edited by toryturner; 12-16-2014 at 02:40 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 03:10 PM

31,808 posts, read 14,654,154 times
Quote:
Sorry, they are not journeymen by and large and the work is shoddy. The contractors pocket a considerable amount of money but not the construction workers. The fact that they are not Caucasian has nothing to do with the shoddy work, it has to do with the fact that they will work for less, enabling themselves to be hired instead of more skilled craftsmen.
Exactly! I live across the street from a housing community where illegal alien labor was used to build it and many of the owners got fed up and left those houses vacant because there were so many structural flaws in them. I get so sick of hearing how Hispanics are the superior race/culture whether they be here legally or illegally. It borders on racism to attack the non-Hispanic American worker with insults and claims of laziness like that which are complete lies. I can't even read this thread anymore it makes me that sick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or