U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-16-2014, 02:27 PM
 
3,216 posts, read 1,767,276 times
Reputation: 1215

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly! I live across the street from a housing community where illegal alien labor was used to build it and many of the owners got fed up and left those houses vacant because there were so many structural flaws in them. I get so sick of hearing how Hispanics are the superior race/culture whether they be here legally or illegally. It borders on racism to attack the non-Hispanic American worker with insults and claims of laziness like that which are complete lies. I can't even read this thread anymore it makes me that sick!
I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2014, 02:52 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
110 posts, read 121,597 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
did you know that NJ is trying to get a bill passed so that federal funding can go to illegals who want to go to college? Geeze Louise, why not give everything to them? Jersey also passed a bill so that they can drive with licenses now....illegals?????????? All for votes, b/c Jersey is full of illegals.
Ugh yes, 100% diluted. Car washes, construction, farms, cleaning ladies, EVERY pizza shop, you name it they are there. My neighbor gets them to mow his lawn weekly in the summer. They also get in-state tuition for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 04:36 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Sorry, they are not journeymen by and large and the work is shoddy. The contractors pocket a considerable amount of money but not the construction workers. The fact that they are not Caucasian has nothing to do with the shoddy work, it has to do with the fact that they will work for less, enabling themselves to be hired instead of more skilled craftsmen.
Nonsense. Any attempt by a prime to get by with pocketing money will meet exactly the same fate as the union shops did. Someone else undercuts you with the cheap labor. The major heavy off strip contractor here has been beating off the union for the last 25 years with his virtually all Hispanic crew. Just drove passed Sheldon Aldelsons old house (a mere 20,000 SF) which is being redone for sale I expect. Some place north of 15 million. Guess who is doing all the work?

By now there are no other craftsmen here or in CA. This has been going on for over 30 years. The Union guys still have control of the strip and certain kinds of heavy construction but they no longer exist in the the residential market place.

One of the things that is so silly about you guys is that you actually believe your own yarns. The Hispanics have successfully taken over residential construction on close to the entire SW. Fact of life. And they work cheap only by union standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM
 
3,216 posts, read 1,767,276 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nonsense. Any attempt by a prime to get by with pocketing money will meet exactly the same fate as the union shops did. Someone else undercuts you with the cheap labor. The major heavy off strip contractor here has been beating off the union for the last 25 years with his virtually all Hispanic crew. Just drove passed Sheldon Aldelsons old house (a mere 20,000 SF) which is being redone for sale I expect. Some place north of 15 million. Guess who is doing all the work?

By now there are no other craftsmen here or in CA. This has been going on for over 30 years. The Union guys still have control of the strip and certain kinds of heavy construction but they no longer exist in the the residential market place.

One of the things that is so silly about you guys is that you actually believe your own yarns. The Hispanics have successfully taken over residential construction on close to the entire SW. Fact of life. And they work cheap only by union standards.
There are no more craftsmen because the Hispanics drove them out. Which is what they are doing in restaurants. Which is the point of the o.p.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 05:17 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
There are no more craftsmen because the Hispanics drove them out. Which is what they are doing in restaurants. Which is the point of the o.p.
Completely different.

There is a good bit of skill in a number of the building trades. And those skills are now practiced primarily by Hispanics. And the vast majority of those are legal residents or citizens of the US. In fact a kid who wants to do construction or contracting here really needs to learn reasonable Spanish. And that happens...we have number of guys who do high end custom houses one at a time and virtually all speak at least Builder Spanish.

Any time you think it is not skilled watch a good crew finish the wall boarding of a house. Mind blowing how good some of those guys are.

Restaurant and a lot of the landscaping is just low end labor. Entirely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 05:37 PM
 
3,216 posts, read 1,767,276 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Completely different.

There is a good bit of skill in a number of the building trades. And those skills are now practiced primarily by Hispanics. And the vast majority of those are legal residents or citizens of the US. In fact a kid who wants to do construction or contracting here really needs to learn reasonable Spanish. And that happens...we have number of guys who do high end custom houses one at a time and virtually all speak at least Builder Spanish.

Any time you think it is not skilled watch a good crew finish the wall boarding of a house. Mind blowing how good some of those guys are.

Restaurant and a lot of the landscaping is just low end labor. Entirely different.
Where do you live? Other than high end houses the building is acknowledged to be less than stellar here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 05:55 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Where do you live? Other than high end houses the building is acknowledged to be less than stellar here.
I live in Vegas. Before that 17 years in OC.

Did you ever hear a Long Islander go off on the quality in Levittown? Probably before your time but that is the beginning of the "quality is awful" view of the American housing industry. And there is some truth to it...as there always is about such things.

My present house is full custom...but its quality is not outstanding. My mildly fancy tract house in northern OC was perhaps done a little better. The present home suffers some from custom building...when it is a one off does it really matter if the wall is plumb? But when you put in fancy french doors fifteen years later and suddenly end up with a 3/4 inch discrepancy between a plumb door and an existing wall it is a pain.

So don't blame it on the illegals. None of their doing. Been an issue is US home building for 75 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 PM
 
3,216 posts, read 1,767,276 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I live in Vegas. Before that 17 years in OC.

Did you ever hear a Long Islander go off on the quality in Levittown? Probably before your time but that is the beginning of the "quality is awful" view of the American housing industry. And there is some truth to it...as there always is about such things.

My present house is full custom...but its quality is not outstanding. My mildly fancy tract house in northern OC was perhaps done a little better. The present home suffers some from custom building...when it is a one off does it really matter if the wall is plumb? But when you put in fancy french doors fifteen years later and suddenly end up with a 3/4 inch discrepancy between a plumb door and an existing wall it is a pain.

So don't blame it on the illegals. None of their doing. Been an issue is US home building for 75 years.
The only personal knowledge I have is the quality of homes going up in this area were better when my husband and others were building. If you didn't hang a door correctly or lay tile straight you were out of a job. I understand your point, however the hiring of illegals and low skill Hispanics accelerated the process. It will eventually happen in most all of the manual trades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 06:05 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Reputation: 47455
you cant go to a business or government office or church here that does not use contracting for janitor and gardening, and they all use illegals. you cant get a house built here without illegal labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 PM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8354
Oh wow, now one must learn Spanish to get into the building trades? Hmm, last I heard most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why would we need to learn Spanish to communicate with them? Our national de facto language that the majority of Americans speak is English. The sheer arrogance of demanding one know Spanish to get a job (and in this case the construction industry) in our own country is truly unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top