U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 06:26 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,446,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh wow, now one must learn Spanish to get into the building trades? Hmm, last I heard most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why would we need to learn Spanish to communicate with them? Our national de facto language that the majority of Americans speak is English. The sheer arrogance of demanding one know Spanish to get a job (and in this case the construction industry) in our own country is truly unbelievable.
no you dont need to learn a foreign language to work in this country you need to speak a foreign language so you can get a job in some other country, no jobs here my friend they are taken.
especially in the skilled trades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:51 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,296,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I wish I knew but, I can tell you flat out, most folks do NOT want to take a lot of the lower paying jobs. Holding out for management positions I guess.....All I can tell you is that when it comes to very hard labor related jobs, Americans seem not to apply.

Now, you have to consider the region. This is in and around Atlanta. If I were to try this say in Iowa or some other area that may/may not have as many Hispanics, then it might be different. I can tell you this though, go to a car wash in this area, work is flawless.

Now, go back home to an area with union labor and few if any Hispanics? The work is shoddy, the car wash still uses nylon whacker brushes and you are lucky if they clean the inside of the windows....all for $4 more.....

To be sure, no one is expecting folks to make a career out of it but, if Americans WERE taking and HOLDING those jobs, you wouldn't HAVE an immigration problem, would you? They don't come here to sight see, they come here to work. And apparently, employers love them as they can't get anyone else to do it. They are the Irish and Italians of a hundred years ago.

In 20 years, they will own the trades in non-union areas. Count on it.
Uh; def NOT in 20 years. I say that because Mexico's birthrate is almost at replacement level in 2014 and, if it keeps dropping, that place will be like China, very few young people and lots of old ones by 2034.

Please DON'T compare us "Irish" and the Italians of 100 years ago to ILLEGAL aliens of 2014; almost ALL came here LEGALLY and word was 1 Italian in 3 went BACK to Italy because the US was too hard for them to handle.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I live across the street from a housing community where illegal alien labor was used to build it and many of the owners got fed up and left those houses vacant because there were so many structural flaws in them. I get so sick of hearing how Hispanics are the superior race/culture whether they be here legally or illegally. It borders on racism to attack the non-Hispanic American worker with insults and claims of laziness like that which are complete lies. I can't even read this thread anymore it makes me that sick!
People who LIKE hiring illegal aliens over US citizens or legal aliens are as bad as the slave owners before the Civil War.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,152,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
People who LIKE hiring illegal aliens over US citizens or legal aliens are as bad as the slave owners before the Civil War.
You mean terrible people like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson?

You really forgot that our country's founding was led by slave holding Virginians?

So your view is those proposing a general solution are there with Jefferson and Washington?

YOu antis really are kind of weird.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:37 PM

31,580 posts, read 14,599,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no you dont need to learn a foreign language to work in this country you need to speak a foreign language so you can get a job in some other country, no jobs here my friend they are taken.
especially in the skilled trades.
I was addressing what another poster claimed. The unfortunate truth is that quite a few jobs in this country require you to know Spanish to be hired. We all know it is mostly because of the high influx of Spanish speaking illegal aliens and/or those who expect to be pandered to in Spanish. Those are just the facts.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I was addressing what another poster claimed. The unfortunate truth is that quite a few jobs in this country require you to know Spanish to be hired. We all know it is mostly because of the high influx of Spanish speaking illegal aliens and/or those who expect to be pandered to in Spanish. Those are just the facts.
Actually bi lingual or better capabilities are valuable in any number of professions. In Las Vegas and many other places they give you a higher placement on the hiring list. If you need a new desk clerk in a hotel with an international clientele do you hire the English only candidate or the one who speaks three languages?

In the SW US the inability to speak at least basic Spanish will make you vastly less hire-able in the construction industry. Fact.

As an aside I once came out of meeting very well because the other side were not smart enough to figure that the Lady serving coffee was an Arabic speaking engineer. Amazing in a way. She was dressed young American but was obviously mid Eastern...

Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,584,670 times
40 years ago the restaurant kitchens were staffed by Americans. Cooks, dishwashers, wait staff were all American. Maybe some of the Greek diners had a few greenhorns working in the kitchen, but you didn't have the huge influx of Mexicans that you do now. I haven't worked in the food industry for a long time, but not sure just when the shift occured.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:16 PM

11,515 posts, read 5,521,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
40 years ago the restaurant kitchens were staffed by Americans. Cooks, dishwashers, wait staff were all American. Maybe some of the Greek diners had a few greenhorns working in the kitchen, but you didn't have the huge influx of Mexicans that you do now. I haven't worked in the food industry for a long time, but not sure just when the shift occured.
I think that the shift occurred when the disastrous 1986 amnesty happened. When Reagan agreed to it, democrats promised that the borders would be secured, illegals would never be able to find work and that there would never again be another amnesty. The dems reneged on all those promises. The borders weren't secured, illegals were easily able to find work and we've had several stealth amnesties since then.

You see, the 1986 amnesty coupled with dems reneging on their promises left us flooded with millions of illegals. Sleazy employers very quickly figured out that they could get away with hiring illegals by either paying them under the table or doing the whole wink and nod when the illegal presented fake or stolen ID to them.

I know that in the construction industry, up until the late 90s, the work was done by Americans. Where I live, Americans from West Virginia used to come to this area in their campers and stay in campgrounds while they worked. Our house was built in 1997 and we would regularly visit the construction site and observe the Americans working. Sometime after that point, the Americans were no longer seen at construction sites, slowly and steadily replaced by illegals. Also, the quality of homes constructed went into decline---but---the prices went up.

I'm willing to bet that the back of the house jobs at restaurants started getting flooded with illegals around the same time.

Yet...there is a restaurant chain conglomerate that uses E-verify and they have no problems finding legal immigrants and Americans to take their back of the house jobs. However, there are still illegals working for them because when E-verify was implemented, Ted Kennedy only allowed it to happen if it wasn't used to weed out illegals already in the work force.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You mean terrible people like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson?

You really forgot that our country's founding was led by slave holding Virginians?

So your view is those proposing a general solution are there with Jefferson and Washington?

YOu antis really are kind of weird.
Uh; try again, please. That nasty slave stuff was LEGAL back then in the US. Sheesh!

Old 12-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Uh; try again, please. That nasty slave stuff was LEGAL back then in the US. Sheesh!
YOu don't remember what you said couple of messages later? Slave holders before the civil war were legal. So what. Your term was slave holder which includes Washington and Jefferson and many founders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or