U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM
 
11,485 posts, read 5,507,878 times
Reputation: 9862

Advertisements

True, Oldglory. And some people don't want farm jobs like picking crops because it's seasonal work and they want to be working full-time year round.

However, there are those who would take farm jobs because they need to earn some money and are unable to find other work. Of course, the whole problem is that if they live in cities, there is no way to get to the fields due to unreliable transportation or the cost of gas and maintenance would mean that there wouldn't be enough money left over after getting paid to make it worthwhile.

To show how low the lamestream media has become --- I remember when AL got tough on illegals and the sleazy farmers lost all their illegal employees, a CBS reporter was talking to one of the sleazy farmers. He was whining about the law and losing his workers. Yet, the reporter never asked him why he didn't use the guest worker program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
True, Oldglory. And some people don't want farm jobs like picking crops because it's seasonal work and they want to be working full-time year round.

However, there are those who would take farm jobs because they need to earn some money and are unable to find other work. Of course, the whole problem is that if they live in cities, there is no way to get to the fields due to unreliable transportation or the cost of gas and maintenance would mean that there wouldn't be enough money left over after getting paid to make it worthwhile.

To show how low the lamestream media has become --- I remember when AL got tough on illegals and the sleazy farmers lost all their illegal employees, a CBS reporter was talking to one of the sleazy farmers. He was whining about the law and losing his workers. Yet, the reporter never asked him why he didn't use the guest worker program.
What gets me is 20 an hour is def real good money in the small towns like Quartzsite here in Arizona and there are quite a few farms less than 40 miles away on Interstate 10 so commuting that would be easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 11:40 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
We can't or won't afford it. Would have likely been the correct solution in 1988 or 1989. Now the job is simply to large to be done rationally. Cost few hundred billion and take ten years including some large social stability problems.

And every year that passes the problem gets worse. Eventually we will catch another wave of illegals and end up with 15 million because we refuse to deal with the existing problem
I disagree, the politicians would say its impossible to do, but it is not....but they would love you to believe it is so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most young Americans are preparing for a career job or they already have one. Picking crops is not a career job as we all know. It is back breaking work out in the hot sun all day and takes its toll on the body after awhile. There should be no problem however bringing in young foreign workers legally who want to come to the U.S. to work because they don't have many job opportunities in their own countries or are lacking a good education to do much else. The excuses that those make for hiring illegal aliens instead are just that.....excuses.
and, did you know, they are trying to get illegals drivers licenses now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Dallas
2,084 posts, read 2,447,623 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Crack down on business owners who hire illegals if you want to solve a problem.
This has got to start happening! I say jail time for the first offense, with a big fine, and mandatory community service to go with it!
__________________
MODERATOR FOR AUSTIN, DALLAS, FORT LAUDERDALE, & TEXAS
Terms of Service/FAQ/Information for Realtors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 06:04 AM
 
25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
This has got to start happening! I say jail time for the first offense, with a big fine, and mandatory community service to go with it!
yes it does, however, our representatives in Washington are doing nothing, nothing about this, both sides are doing nothing.....to stop this invasion....

My question is why? Why are they doing this to our country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 10:47 AM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes it does, however, our representatives in Washington are doing nothing, nothing about this, both sides are doing nothing.....to stop this invasion....

My question is why? Why are they doing this to our country?
There is actually no support for a crackdown on illegal immigrant employers. The right has no interest unless it requires provable knowledgeable hiring and the left generally supports legalization.

One might get it done by requiring a national ID card...but that has always been unacceptable to the right as an expansion of big government.

So it is the status quo or a comprehensive solution. It appears the status quo wins for the next few years. That is of course the worst possible outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 11:27 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There is actually no support for a crackdown on illegal immigrant employers. The right has no interest unless it requires provable knowledgeable hiring and the left generally supports legalization.

One might get it done by requiring a national ID card...but that has always been unacceptable to the right as an expansion of big government.

So it is the status quo or a comprehensive solution. It appears the status quo wins for the next few years. That is of course the worst possible outcome.
Better status quo till we get a POTUS who does what the American people want. The other would be too hard to reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 01:18 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Better status quo till we get a POTUS who does what the American people want. The other would be too hard to reverse.
So your hope is that the status quo can be maintained until 2024 or later? Well there is one good thing. Likely will be no more Mexicans in the suitable demographic. They will all be here. Hey if you wait until 2050 or 2060 the illegals will start dying off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 02:11 PM
 
31,476 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Better status quo till we get a POTUS who does what the American people want. The other would be too hard to reverse.
Exactly! So-called immigration reform aka amnesty would be the worse case scenario because we would be stuck with these people permanently and it would just encourage more to come. I'd rather see the status quo also until we get a president and congress that has the balls to enforce our immigration laws and removes all the incentives for them to remain here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top